Replacement Key - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:22 AM

Unhappy Replacement Key

Things being what they are, my car key went missing and I need to get another one.
Has anyone tried to reprogram a new key themselves, with only 1 key remaining? If I do have to go to the dealer, does anyone know just how badly they're going to bend me over on this?
Thanks,

Mods:
K&N 63 Series CAI
Auto Headlights
RockBlockers
Silver Stars
Daytona Honeycomb Grill
Billet Door Locks
Billet Head Rest Spacers
Magnaflow 18 Series Mufflers with 3.5" Tips

In the works:
Jet II Chip
Rear/Chin Spoilers
Supercharger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 01:05 PM

Probably $200+.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2006 RT w/ R&T
It's not possible to program a spare key unless you have 2 working ones. Sounds like a trip to the dealer. Bring the vaseline.

How do I.... EVERYTHING!
Old 12-12-2007, 10:09 PM

your looking at prob 250.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to kg2140
yup

You need 2 keys to program a 3rd key. If you lost one then you have no choice but to go to the dealer. Last I checked it was $230 for the key and to have them program it.

When I learned this I jumped on ebay and bought a blank spare key for $50 then got it cut for $1.00 and then programed it myself for $0 free.

Well worth it if your ever in this situation or if you are going to install an aftermarket auto start.
2006 Dodge Charger R/T Silver Steel Metallic - Avic-Z1 7" flush screen with Carbon Fiber Bezel, XM Radio with Navtraffic, Bluetooth - Mopar Cold Air Intake - Daytona Color Matched Grille w/ Red R/T emblem - Mopar Hood Struts - Blinker Mod - Auto Headlight Mod - Viper 791XV alarm with autostart - Superchips Flashpaq Tuner - SRT-8 Spoiler - SRT Wheels
Old 12-13-2007, 07:36 AM

I got a third remotekey for my Daytona and programmed it myself. I recommend this for everyone who has these type keys. Pay a little now and you will save alot later. I did the same thing for my Neon years ago. Also, I use the third key when I have my cars in for service. That way I don't have to take a key off my keyring, and if the place your getting your car serviced looses the key, you have one with you and are not stuck.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jarpod
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnunes View Post
It's not possible to program a spare key unless you have 2 working ones. Sounds like a trip to the dealer. Bring the vaseline.
Why should I bring Vaseline to the dealer? is it used in anyway to reprogram a key?

All Gone
2006 Silver R/T with factory Uconnect and sunroof
Old 12-13-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarpod View Post
Why should I bring Vaseline to the dealer? is it used in anyway to reprogram a key?

Well that depends you might not need it, but lets find out. How much did you pay for your RT Charger? Sorry that was wrong of me .
Old 12-13-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparknighthawk View Post
I got a third remotekey for my Daytona and programmed it myself. I recommend this for everyone who has these type keys. Pay a little now and you will save alot later. I did the same thing for my Neon years ago. Also, I use the third key when I have my cars in for service. That way I don't have to take a key off my keyring, and if the place your getting your car serviced looses the key, you have one with you and are not stuck.
I am suprised nobody has asked this yet but, HOW DO YOU PROGRAM A THE THIRD KEY YOURSELF?!?!?
Old 12-13-2007, 11:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to kg2140
check your manual

It's in the manual. But basically you insert key 1 that is already programmed and you turn it but don't start the car. Then wait til you hear a beep or the red light starts to blink in the dash. Then take it out and do the same with the 2nd key. You will hear another beep. Then put in the new key you want programmed and do the same and you will hear the beep when it is programmed. It's something along those lines but literally takes 1 minute to do maybe 2 if it's your first time. But the Dealer won't admit that this is possible but check your car's manual and you'll see it.

When I called the dealer for the key they said I had to take it in. I said but I have 2 keys already programmed can't I program it myself. He said no. You need the code and a computer with the software to do it. I said so why does it say in the manual that I can do it myself as long as I have 2 keys that already programmed. He said oh I didn't know. Then told me the price of the blank key which was about $170 just for a blank key unprogrammed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.