New mod: underhood light - Dodge Charger Forums
General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

#1 Old 11-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Gabe

(Thread Starter)
New mod: underhood light

I've been toying around with the idea of installing an underhood light for some time now, and I finally did it.

Got the Mopar light part # 56021441, wiring harness part # 56051176AB, both added up to about $50 plus a couple of hood liner clips/push pins. Bulb # is 561.

I extended the harness so it would reach to the positive power point to the front/passenger side of car.

I did not remove the liner as some others have done, I found no need to do so. The ONLY problem I had was actually getting the light to pop-in into the hole in the hood, as the liner was adding some extra material between the light and the hood metal and wasn't allowing it to filly clip in. I had to undo the back of the light and push in the push-pin, then clip the light into it's back.

It looks OEM and works awesome ... very bright. I'm gonna check to see if there's a Silverstar bulb available for it, but even if not, it's very bright.

Now what everybody wants, the pics:

The harness, modified with extended wiring, a 20A fuse holder at the end of the positive wire, removed the wire loom and taped it all up:

The finished product:

The following 2 pics show the wiring harness coming down alongside the washer hose, zip-tied to it, and at the bottom of the pics, the positive wire does a U-turn cuz I made the harness too long by about a foot.

Let me know what you guys and gals think.

Edit 10-18-2008, 2 pics of the light bulb area itself :

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my_Charger_11-25-07_mod_underhood_light 001.jpg
Views:	3540
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	27113   Click image for larger version

Name:	my_Charger_11-25-07_mod_underhood_light 002.jpg
Views:	3524
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	27114   Click image for larger version

Name:	my_Charger_11-25-07_mod_underhood_light 003.jpg
Views:	3533
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	27115   Click image for larger version

Name:	my_Charger_11-25-07_mod_underhood_light 004.jpg
Views:	3524
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	27116  

Past, mine: 2007 Charger R/T AWD, heads/cam, hi-flow cats, full JBA exh., 6.1 injectors, a few other things. 355 AWHP, 370 AWTQ
Present, mine: '13 Mustang GT, Sterling Gray, MT82, Recaros, Track Pack. 2.3L Whipple, VMP heat exchanger, ID1000 injectors, JLT CAI, 591 RWHP, 505 RWTQ.
- Bad-weather ride: '06 Tundra 4x4 V8 AccessCab, Silver.
Present, GF's: '08 GT500, White/blue stripes, pulley/JLT CAI/tune, ~550RWHP/~540RWTQ.
- Bad-weather ride: '03 Forester, green, 5-speed.

Last edited by Gabe; 10-18-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Ron380

Hey Buddy, nice job! That does look pretty bright!

I used to have a '92 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 that had a great "work light" under the hood. It had a 6' wind-up cord and a magnet on the back to stick it up wherever... I'm gonna chase down one of those and mount it in my Charger... it's on the "to-do" list...

2007 TorRed SXT/AWD: Gone, but not forgotten.
2011 Mustang GT, Kona Blue
2007 Ram 1500 4x4, 4.7l V8. mods have started...
#3 Old 11-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Ksleigh

I like it. Great idea!! i might go buy it, but i think i might swap out that yellow bulb with a more white light. But great job
#4 Old 11-25-2007, 07:36 PM
TBYDaytona40

Looks great, and shame on DCX for not doing this for us dontcha know

Top Banana #40 of 4,000. Supporting Vendors who have helped with my Daytona. I support them. They are good, trustworthy vendors: BilletTechnology! RiderGraphix! DMH Cutouts, MPSC, DankoReproductions, RockBlockers, ReflectiveConcepts My pics are here: http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z4/TBYDaytona40/

#5 Old 11-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Gabe

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron380 View Post
Hey Buddy, nice job! That does look pretty bright! ....
Thanks Ron !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksleigh View Post
I like it. Great idea!! i might go buy it, but i think i might swap out that yellow bulb with a more white light. But great job
It's actually not that yellow in real life ... as you can see in the pic, it wasn't quite dark yet, so the surroundings made it look yellower than it really is ... I'm very happy with it's brightness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBYDaytona40 View Post
Looks great, and shame on DCX for not doing this for us dontcha know
Yes, definitely shame on them for cutting features, but at least they made the car ... it's a great starting point for us to mod
#6 Old 11-25-2007, 07:45 PM
The Tac King

Good work. I never even thought about doing that mod, but now I just might.

2006 Charger Daytona, Top Banana #1085 of 4000, 22 inch feet, Mopar CAI, remote engine start, Borla exhaust and tips, chin spoiler, rear fascia.
FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS MOD JUNK!!!!!!
C-4 (Custom Chargers Car Club) Central Cali Chapter President & CenCalLX member.
#7 Old 11-25-2007, 07:47 PM
RedAlert

Good job! I like it.
#8 Old 11-25-2007, 07:52 PM
Gabe

(Thread Starter)
Oh, by the way, the light has a built-in switch which tells it when to turn on or off ... it's really a no-brainer to have this installed ...
#9 Old 11-25-2007, 08:17 PM
DA X 6

Nice job...

Well done, Gabe. I've been thinking about doing this mod for a long time.

I actually found a light that was from one of my Dad's old cars ('47 Plymouth? '54 Ford? '58 Olds?) in with his tools not long after his death. My plan was to put it in my car, but somewhere between the formation of that idea and the purchase of the necessary bulb, the fixture itself vanished somewhere in my workshop...

Let me ask this: what prevented you from shortening the wire?

The General Sherman / 2006 Charger R/T, Bright Silver
Poor Man's mods: Auto Headlights/Hood Struts/Visor Stickers/Bumper Scratch fix (O-rings)/Lock Pin O-rings/Blinker Mod/RD Hardwire/Cabin Air Filter/Storage Compartment/Blue Calipers/Honeycomb Grill Insert w/R/T Badge/Belly Pan Mod/GTS rain guards/aFe drop-in air filter/Gorilla Lug Nuts/Rear Blinker Mod/Backup Camera/Fumoto valve/PAC Audio media input/Challenger rims
#10 Old 11-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Gabe

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA X 6 View Post
Well done, Gabe. I've been thinking about doing this mod for a long time.

I actually found a light that was from one of my Dad's old cars ('47 Plymouth? '54 Ford? '58 Olds?) in with his tools not long after his death. My plan was to put it in my car, but somewhere between the formation of that idea and the purchase of the necessary bulb, the fixture itself vanished somewhere in my workshop...

Let me ask this: what prevented you from shortening the wire?
The wiring harness is only long enough to reach down to about the base of the hood (almost), so I had to cut off the terminal it comes with and lengthened it ..... I did it the right way, soldering the connections, then using heat-shrink tubing and then electrical tape .... overkill maybe, but I don't want problems, I wanted to only do it once.

I do have to say, I got this idea from a guy who did it on LX forums ... he did it slightly differently, but I got the part numbers out of his thread and his thread came in very helpful in me doing this mod.

Here's his thread if anybody's interested:
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=42858
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List