Stock RT Exhaust, Just Remove Resonators - Dodge Charger Forums
Performance Discussion/Modifications Discuss any performance modification in this section.

#1 Old 10-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Phil Acker

(Thread Starter)
Question Stock RT Exhaust, Just Remove Resonators

Iíve had my new Charger RT with RT package for 2 weeks now , and would like to start modifying it. I would like to start with making it sound like it runs. I really donít want to spend allot of money on a new exhaust. Have read that some of you are putting on new exhaust systems, and removed the Resonators.

Can I just remove the Resonators? Will this De-tune the stock exhaust, or will it perform the same, just with a little more growl?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-25-2007, 10:41 AM
optimus124

Send a message via AIM to optimus124 Send a message via Yahoo to optimus124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Acker View Post
Iíve had my new Charger RT with RT package for 2 weeks now , and would like to start modifying it. I would like to start with making it sound like it runs. I really donít want to spend allot of money on a new exhaust. Have read that some of you are putting on new exhaust systems, and removed the Resonators.

Can I just remove the Resonators? Will this De-tune the stock exhaust, or will it perform the same, just with a little more growl?

You should get more growl. There are a lot of clips on YouTube of those that have already done so.

OPTIMUS PRIME: PIMPIFIED!!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-JEs_cNhEt0
#3 Old 10-25-2007, 10:44 AM
goMANgo259

Send a message via AIM to goMANgo259
people on here call it the brylcreem exhaust. what most people do is take out the HUGE suitecase muffler (the big fat one in the middle of the car) and leave the resonators (two littler ones out by the tips), but some people remove the resonators and tips all together and throw some huge tips in there. do some research on here and u can find more info than ever.

sounds like u might be intered in blastin bobs kit...

GoManGo #259

#4 Old 10-25-2007, 11:45 AM
smscharger1

Since I'm new to this site stop me if I'm wrong but when I looked under my 07 Charger R/T w/ R&T package the muffler or mufflers look to be separate not the suitcase muffler you guys are referring too
#5 Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Inferno Red

I took my resonators off a while ago. You do get a real growl; someone once called it "old school thunder".

There's also a heavier exhaust note inside, esp at higher speeds which bothers some people, but I like it. It's the cheapest way to get louder, bar none.

2006 SRT8, 45,000 miles, resonator delete, K&N filter, Zeckhausen dustless brake pads. One year winter driven on Dunlops which are still available .
#6 Old 10-25-2007, 12:16 PM
BigMech
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Send a message via AIM to BigMech
The two big things at the back right behind the exhaust tips are what we call the resonators, they keep the exhaust from droning when the MDS is active. Further up just in front of the rear axle is a big suitcase muffler that 2 inlets and 2 outlets, so effectively these cars have 4 mufflers.

Here is a picture of the underside of an R/T charger:

-Brian

'07 Charger R/T, RWD, Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat.
20" AR Torque Thrust M's, SRT8 Suspension Kit, Airaid CAI, MM 85mm TB, Diablo Predator, Daytona Exhaust
Daytona rear spoiler, chin spoiler, grill, exhaust, and rear air diffuser, lots of Billettech goodies.
'13 Mustang GT Premium, Grabber Blue, 6-Speed, Track Pack.
#7 Old 10-25-2007, 12:46 PM
sear04

check out allied muffler in bellflower he makes the blastin bob kit
#8 Old 10-25-2007, 12:48 PM
HEMI V8

If u want your beast to sound louder..

Just remove the big muffler near the middle...

I did it...it sounds a lot better ,louder and meaner...

2007 Silver Steel Metallic Charger R/T
Mods: Painted calipers, Daytona style grill, BT knobs covers and custom emblems, blinker mod, 20" Chally's Replicas, Hankook's K110
Performance: AFE StageII, Borla 125, Pacesetter LT Headers, 3:55 Richmond Gears, Jet 180 T-stat, Dyno Tune
Best 1/4 mile time (stock) : 14.42
Best 0-100 km/h (stock) : 6.00
#9 Old 10-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Phil Acker

(Thread Starter)
Do the Resonators unbolt, or do they have to be cut off?
#10 Old 10-25-2007, 02:43 PM
hattcharger

Quote:
Do the Resonators unbolt, or do they have to be cut off?
I'm also in Orange County, CA. and I am running what is commonly called the "Tuna Boat" mod. This is cutting off the resonators and adding tips or re-welding in the original tips.

If you want to hear it in person, we could meet up somewhere sometime. No big problem if your interested.

You will get some drone inside with this setup, but overall it isn't really bad IMO.

It is the easiest way to get the growl out of the hemi. My muffler guy in Costa Mesa also told me the stock suitcase is basically a straight through design and unless I really wanted to spend the dough that it would be close to a cat-back design in regards to performance.

2007 Brilliant Black R/T - Mods: 20" HRR GT-1's wrapped in Nitto 420s 245/45/20 | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Mopar CAI | Predator Progammer | delete reso's (Tuna Boat) | RTJunkie ESP mod | Tint - 5% on the back - 35% up front | Debadged (except hemi), Removed Side Molding | Blinker Mod | LED Interior Lights | Ultimate Gas & Brake Pedals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List