Transmission wont shift?! - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-20-2005, 07:49 AM

Transmission wont shift?!

Ok.. weirdest thing happened to me today.

I get off the highway on my commute to work.. Get stuck in some stop and go traffic, then turn onto a side road. Step on the gas and the car kinda just makes noise and doesnt really go.. I floor it, and it didnt downshift.. uh oh I think.. so i slap the shifter to the left.. nada.. left right left right.. nada.

Neutral, ok that works. Back to D, still wont shift.. I'm getting scared now. Get to a light, put it in park, turn off the car, restart, put it in D. ok, that felt good.. shift left, ok, went into first.. good.. back to D, move in traffic, everythings working. Floor it, it downshifts fine, upshift is good, no problems.

Thats the first time that ever happened... Should I be worried? Is it time to remove the jet chip and take her in?

Its an 06 R/T, 2800 miles on her, jet chip and K&N cai
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2005, 07:57 AM

Talking Re: Transmission wont shift?!

I would definitely take her in for a check up. Let them know exactly what happened.....happened once and ya don't want it happening again leaving you stranded. Plus, nothing worse than watching your brand new car sit on the side of the road dead....and all the ricers driving by thinking...uhuh, POS.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to Crazy_luck Send a message via Yahoo to Crazy_luck
Re: Transmission wont shift?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger71

I get off the highway on my commute to work.. Get stuck in some stop and go traffic, then turn onto a side road. Step on the gas and the car kinda just makes noise and doesnt really go.. I floor it, and it didnt downshift.. uh oh I think.. so i slap the shifter to the left.. nada.. left right left right.. nada.

Neutral, ok that works. Back to D, still wont shift.. I'm getting scared now. Get to a light, put it in park, turn off the car, restart, put it in D. ok, that felt good.. shift left, ok, went into first.. good.. back to D, move in traffic, everythings working. Floor it, it downshifts fine, upshift is good, no problems.

Thats the first time that ever happened... Should I be worried? Is it time to remove the jet chip and take her in?

I had a similar thing happen about a month and a half ago. The CEL came on when I went to pass a slower car and I lost power. The engine was still running, but there was no throttle/trans response. The code I got was 'unknown/improper gear reatio' which IIRC, has something to do with the rear ABS sensor. I never had to have anything fixed, the problem went away on its own..... (at the time the car was completely stock, it was going in that night to get the exhuast done, I was gonna have that shop look into it, but it fixed itself on the way there)
Old 12-21-2005, 07:22 AM

well.. it ran fine all day yesterday, drive home was fine.

this morning on the way to work again I had the problem. Went to play with an evo and noticed the car wouldnt downshift..

then the CEL came on and I lost power.. pulled over. Did the key dance to check the code.. - - - - - few seconds later - done

wtf? no code? so I drove a little, still had some power issue, couldnt accel. Restarted the car again.. drove slowly.. gave it more gas, hmm seems to run fine.

Next light, turned her off, checked for a code, still -----.. Restarted, and CEL is gone and car runs perfectly again..

Any ideas? If my jet chip was the cause, shouldnt this be continuous? IE, jet causing me to throw a code, it shouldnt just go away should it?
Old 12-21-2005, 07:41 AM

Quote:
well.. it ran fine all day yesterday, drive home was fine.

this morning on the way to work again I had the problem. Went to play with an evo and noticed the car wouldnt downshift..

then the CEL came on and I lost power.. pulled over. Did the key dance to check the code.. - - - - - few seconds later - done

wtf? no code? so I drove a little, still had some power issue, couldnt accel. Restarted the car again.. drove slowly.. gave it more gas, hmm seems to run fine.

Next light, turned her off, checked for a code, still -----.. Restarted, and CEL is gone and car runs perfectly again..

Any ideas? If my jet chip was the cause, shouldnt this be continuous? IE, jet causing me to throw a code, it shouldnt just go away should it?
Sounds like she's getting sicker... Take her into the Doctor, Please!!
and resonator delete.
'93 Ford Ranger big 6 (little workhorse)
Old 12-21-2005, 08:29 AM

I had a similiar issue. Took her in and the dealer found that the e-brake cable was rubbing on the yellow wire to the tranny harnes. Apperently the zip tie (or whatever holds the harnes) had come off.

Hope your issues is as minor as mine was.
DanX - GoManGo Daytona #964
- Auto headlights
- Silverstars
Old 12-27-2005, 06:01 PM

Hello all-

I was browsing through the forums here and came upon this problem. I am a Chrysler minivan driver and having the 4 speed auto, I'm aquainted enough with various transmission issues. What happened to you sounds to me like your transmission went into "limp home" mode. What this means is that your tranny went to 2nd gear and stayed there, to avoid shifting. This usually happens because the TCM has sensed something wrong with either the transmission or another related part of the drivetrain, kind of like a failsafe. It can be anything from a serious transmission issue to something like DanX's wire harness problems (I would think and hope that it would be something like this). When it goes into limp home mode, you may or may not be able to regain all of your gears by restarting your car, and you will *usually* have neutral, park, and reverse.

I would say you should see your dealer and ask them to check the TCM for any codes. You probably won't find anything by doing the key dance in this instance.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:34 PM

quick update.. dealer said there were 2 codes, tranny related, something about the transmission solenoid..

That was at 5pm the day I took it in, said theyd work on it the next day.
Next day, nada. Day after, they call me at 1 and say its ready.

I go in and they tell me nothings wrong, they didnt get any codes, test drove it, etc.

Damn.. I'm wondering if its the jet chip? this happend 3 days after jet chip install, and hasnt happened again since I took it to the dealer. (removed the chip prior to taking it to the dealer)

Wonder if the increased shift pressure from the chip was anomalous and caused the limp mode?

Only one way to find out.. gotta put the chip back in and see if it happens again.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:53 PM

Quote:

I had the same problem and it was the transmission. the dealer ended up ordering a new tranny and installing it. Now no problems at all and runs like new.

JC

Old 12-28-2005, 12:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to R/TommyB Send a message via Yahoo to R/TommyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztrumpet216
What happened to you sounds to me like your transmission went into "limp home" mode. What this means is that your tranny went to 2nd gear and stayed there, to avoid shifting. This usually happens because the TCM has sensed something wrong with either the transmission or another related part of the drivetrain, kind of like a failsafe.
Interesting observation. This is actually covered in the charger manual, so it is indeed a feature of our transmission. IIRC, there is also a blue or pink switch buried underneath the storage tray adjacent to the shifter that allows you to deactivate limp mode.

'06 'Mango
Mopar CAI + Bassani, Auto headlight module; Rockblocker tails, and fogs; Ultimate Pedals, 22elite center console cover, Mango calipers, EBC 3GD rotors with Red Stuff pads, Razor's Edge strut tower brace, Anzo Halos, BT Underhood Kit, Beehives, & Coil Covers, and Predator.
'04 Crossfire LTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.