Tie rod problems - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

#1 Old 08-29-2007, 12:10 PM
bluelight3105

(Thread Starter)
Tie rod problems

Just taking an informal poll on how many people have had to replace there outer tie rods on there charger?? Mine were at 12,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-29-2007, 12:32 PM
streethawk

I just had mine replace on Monday.

SOLD 2006 Bright Silver Metallic Charger R/T
MODS: Custom Dynomax Exhaust, Demoulded, Daytona Front Spoiler, Visor Disguiser's, Honeycomb Grille w/ Emblem, Windows Tinted 30%, Blinker Mod
#3 Old 08-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Boggus

Kinda off the Tie-Rods, I had to replace my sway bar links today because of knocking on bumps at low speed. They were in horrible shape (loose) at 6K miles.

Dealership is backed up, so I took it to my local alignment friend and had him R/R them. I bought the links from Dodge for $26.50 each (close to employee price) for a total of $53.00 Alignment place charged me $45.00 for the install. $98.00 total fixed.

I know they were warranty, but did not want to wait a day or so for them to fix the issue - and I could have installed them myself, but it is raining and I am lazy!

Daytona TB #3120

Last edited by Boggus; 08-29-2007 at 02:16 PM.
#4 Old 08-29-2007, 01:08 PM
DaytonaTULSAoklahoma

How much was it to replace them?
________
strawberry cough

Last edited by DaytonaTULSAoklahoma; 02-07-2011 at 10:33 PM.
#5 Old 08-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Charger06RT

I had my drivers side replaced at 20K. I'm now at 40k miles. I was just under the car this afternoon and the passenger side feels loose as compared to the drivers side. I can grab the passenger side tie rod with my hand and with no effort, rock it back and forth. The newer one on the driver's side it too tight for me to rock. I'm also getting a steering shimmy at around 70-75 mph. I just had new tires put on ~600 miles ago and I was experiencing the same shimmy before and after the new tires.

<snowwhite and 7 dwarves chant> i go... I go... off to the dealer I go... snowwhite and 7 dwarves chant>

#6 Old 08-31-2007, 11:14 AM
Charger06RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger06RT View Post
I had my drivers side replaced at 20K. I'm now at 40k miles. I was just under the car this afternoon and the passenger side feels loose as compared to the drivers side. I can grab the passenger side tie rod with my hand and with no effort, rock it back and forth. The newer one on the driver's side it too tight for me to rock. I'm also getting a steering shimmy at around 70-75 mph. I just had new tires put on ~600 miles ago and I was experiencing the same shimmy before and after the new tires.

<snowwhite and 7 dwarves chant> i go... I go... off to the dealer I go... snowwhite and 7 dwarves chant>
The dealer replaced my other tie rod. So now, both tie rods have been replaced. They are a different design than the originals that came on the car. I bet they updated the design.
#7 Old 08-31-2007, 11:43 AM
ChargerOsix

Just got the R/T from the dealer yesterday and they replaced the rack and pinion, fixed the rattle in the sunroof, fixed the dead temp gauge, and they upgraded the TCM with the latest version. I love warranty work!!!

2013 Daytona MODS: K&N AirCharger, Billet Catch Can, Mopar Front Strut Tower
Strut Cover Caps, Mopar Chin Spoiler, Rear Reso Delete w/Stainless Tips, 20" Zenneti Five Rims

2006 R/T MODS: Predator 93oct Tune, JBA Shorty Headers, Solo Performance Cats, K&N AirCharger
Eibach Pro Kit, Mopar Front Strut Brace, Eibach Front Swaybar, Pedders Rear Swaybar,
StopTech Brake Lines, Eibach Upper Control Arms, Suitcase Delete, NGK Iridium Plugs.
#8 Old 08-31-2007, 01:43 PM
haburaboi

Send a message via AIM to haburaboi
Noob question. what does the tie rod look like? also could you post your symptoms of this problem? i think i might be having this problem. everytime i go over a bump fast i here a rattling in the back right side under my car.

2007 CHARGER R\T, MHT 22" LLC Rims, Eibach Coilovers, Hotchkis Sway bars, SLP LM1 or LM2, MOPAR LT Headers w\Hi-Flo Cats, Diablo Preditor, 180 T-stat, AFE Stage II, 12' SOLO Baric Kickers, HiFonix amps, 5% Tint all around . . . . Check out my ride on cardomain.

#9 Old 08-31-2007, 02:53 PM
swobosf

Tie rod ends are in the front of the vehicle, so your noise over bumps would not be from these. They connect to the steering rack/gear and when you turn your steering wheel they move the steering knuckles, hence turning your front wheels.
#10 Old 09-02-2007, 02:02 AM
2006MangoCharger-Oregon

steering shimmy could also be from improper tire balancing

2006MangoCharger-Oregon #2219 of 4000
Cragar 610C's, Mopar CAI, HW Radar, painted mud guards, added emblems, added vinyl logos, DashMat, 69 Orange Daytona on Dash, Trunk Lid Mat, Daytona trunk carpet, 3rd Brake Light Flasher, Rear Facia Panel, Magnaflow Tips, Hood Props, Front Bra, DEI painted hood scoop, butterfly muffler removed, Petty shock tower brace signed by Richard Petty himself ! . Zaino User. I also have a 2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Challenger R/T !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List