ESP BAS Indicator - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-07-2005, 07:19 AM

ESP BAS Indicator

First post here, but have been reading the forums for about a week. This looks to be the most active set of Charger forums on the net.

First thing, I did a search to see if this has been addressed previously, but received this:

Quote:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : ESP, BAS
I'm not sure if the system really looked or not. Sorry if this has been already discussed.

Anyway, this morning out of nowhere, my ESP BAS indicator stayed on after I started the car. Looking in the manual, it states that it's caused by a problem with ESP or BAS, or it can be caused if the battery was disconnected/discharged. Well, my battery wasn't a problem except for the fact that it was -2 here this morning. Could that be possibly a cause?

I know the end result will be taking it to the dealer. I'm just looking for a little hope since the Charger spent most of November there for transmission problems. (4 separate trips, 2 were for a week.) I'll post about those in someone's transmission thread.

BTW, I have just under 4500 miles, having bought it in July. I love the car, but hate having to go in for service so often. I also have the headlight moisture problem, but have been hoping to delay taking it in just for that.

Thanks,
Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2005, 07:22 AM

Talking Re: ESP BAS Indicator

Welcome to the Charger threads! Yeah, there are a few posts regarding transmission events requiring dealer visits. Some are pretty recent. I'll do a 'search' and try to find them for ya. Welcome again!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:31 AM

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...t=transmission

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...light=problems

Having problem in search for the esp thing. hummm. Will look further.
I would suspect that -2 temps might create a light not going out. You parked inside or outside? Did the lights go out after you moved and got her warmed up?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:48 AM

Re: ESP BAS Indicator

Thanks very much for the welcome! I found two other threads to post the trans and headlamp info, but thanks for searching for me.

I've only got a one car garage, so my wife's Honda Element get to stay warm. My Charger, and my son's Beetle, have to endure the outdoors.

I didn't drive far today. I work from home a couple of days each week, so I only went out to get coffee this morning, then right back home. The car ran for about 10 mins, and the ESP BAS light never went off. I'm heading out again in an hour or so. I'm hoping it's not on!

Also, in the manual it states that you may need to turn the wheel all the way left then right, if the ESP BAS light remains on due to battery discharge. I tried that and the light remained on, but it was too cold and early to mess around with turning the car off and restarting.

Hey, thanks again, I appeciate the welcome and help.

Greg
Old 12-07-2005, 02:46 PM

Re: ESP BAS Indicator

Quick update, I went out around 11am. Temp was up to +7F. Indicator went off after car started. Either it was a one time blip (yeah, right!), or more likely battery power was lower than normal due to the -2F early morning temp and the left/right steering wheel turns (from the manual) did the trick.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:57 PM

Well we certainly hope that is the case. Keep us posted and lets see some pics of that cold Charger!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.