Charger just shuts off in gear while driving!! - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

#1 Old 07-22-2007, 12:51 PM
BigQ

(Thread Starter)
Charger just shuts off in gear while driving!!

When we first got the car about two months after the car would randomly not start. It would turn over, but not ignite at all. Took it to the dealer and naturally it did not do it for them. Anyway it seemed to go away after that Then I get in the car almost a year later and while backing out it just shuts off in gear! So put it in park and try to restart and it does no problems so i pull out and I am driving down the street and bam..it does it again while in drive???? So I put it back in the garage and call the tow truck and have it taken down to the dealership where they will look at it.

So my question is ...has anyone ever heard of this. I a suspicion that they will not find anything again, but I surely do not want my wife and kids to be driving on the freeway and have it just turn off on them.

I saw another post about the key fob battery can do this????

Any input would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Charger06RT

Mine stalled once in gear on the Garden State Parkway after coming through a toll. Yikes!!

Anyway, i had just filled the car. The folks at the filling station topped off the tank. I suspect topping it off caused it to stall. Gas was probably suck through the evap system.

That's my experiance. The car hasn't stalled since. **knocks on wood**

#3 Old 07-22-2007, 04:40 PM
TuRn "N" HeAdZ

My car has done this to me a couple of times while im in drive. I take it to the dealer right away and they tell me since it doesnt throw a code they cant do anything about it. I dont know anything about cars but my moms 300 had the same problem and it ended up being the computer. No problems since they switched it out.

Mods:
24" Gianna Blitz, Billet Grille , 6.5" Eclipse touchscreen, Two-tone paint, Suede inserts, Hood struts, K&N Air Intake, Eibach pro kit, red interior bulbs
#4 Old 07-22-2007, 05:17 PM
1MEANR/T

Send a message via AIM to 1MEANR/T Send a message via Yahoo to 1MEANR/T
My HEMI did that when i was going home to Florida from Illinios. I have know idea why????

06 BB Charger R/T Mods: K&N C.A.I*JBA Headers*Super 44's Flowmasters w/o Reso's w/SRT8 Tips*Jet 180 T-Stat*Custom Tuned*DiabloSport Predator*Demolded*BT Park Lock Out Mechanism*Black Out Tail Lights*BT Black Mopar Front Emblem*4% Tint*Spolier*20" DropStar Rims w/ Black Blade Inserts*Custom Dashcover* PB:1/4--13.854 @ 98.60mph **13 Sec.Club**
#5 Old 07-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Bones1274

Mine did it 4 times while I was driving around the country for 3 weeks. I determined that it was my knee bumping my keys hanging down from the ignition as I moved my foot back and forth between pedals. I did some playing around on a back street at slow speeds and was able to turn off my car with my knee.

-2008 Sunburst Orange Hemi Ram Bighorn Quadcab
-2007 Silver Chrysler Pacifica Touring 4.0L
- 2006 Inferno Red Charger SXT- Traded In
#6 Old 07-23-2007, 05:33 AM
RitzRT

Mine has done it once too.

There is clearly some problem with so many cars affected. I'll be glad when a fix is announced (if ever).

Best,

Formerly had 2006 Charger R/T
Cool Vanilla <-- rarest color
Mods So Far: Hood struts, Cabin Air Filter
#7 Old 07-23-2007, 06:21 AM
Charger Marc

once also, there is something to this dangerous problem
#8 Old 07-23-2007, 06:51 AM
rsoto80

yup, happen to me once and the dealer told me the same thing..."no codes, can't help ya" I think it has something to do with the hot weather...these cars don't like it when it's hot.
#9 Old 07-23-2007, 10:50 AM
chargeit2thegame

mine did this twice in one day a few weeks ago but hasnt done it since. I was driving approximately 30 mph and i noticed the car wasnt on anymore. i pulled over, put it in neutral and restarted it. i have no idea why it did that. its not safe either and if you were to have an accident because of it, i wonder if chrysler could eventually be sued. i'm thinking a recall will eventually be issued 'cuz the same exact thing happened to me in my 2005 dodge magnum r/t i previously owned.

lime
#10 Old 07-23-2007, 12:35 PM
slvr06CHARGER

mine has done it several times, even 3 times in a row, dont know whats the problem with this cars, we need a fix for this

2006 silver charger R/T Spartan Max, Mopar Long Tubes, AEM CAI, Borla 125, CMR by Johan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List