What is the IAT sensor & what does it do? - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

V6 Specific Discussion This area is for discussion about V6 powered Dodge Chargers.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:09 PM

What is the IAT sensor & what does it do?

I know where it is on my intake, but someone was saying that they made a run with it out. what is it for if you can drive the car with it out?

17"SGT aluminum alloy wheels, spectre cai, esp delete, custom dual borla catback exhaust, tint (35% up front and as dark as they get in back!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2007 Dodge Charger Superbee
You can run without it, and a few have said that they saw gains (the highest I saw was 8 RWHP) but as far as exactly what it does you got me...

I BELIEVE it keeps track of the either the amount of air entering or the temperature and then accordingly changes the amount of fuel being put into the engine
2007 SuperBee #849
SRT Option Groups I, II, and III
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeG View Post
I've had a chance to ride in Blairian's SRT and that thing is a monster. I couldn't stop smiling the entire time I was in the SRT.
370 HP, 375 LB/FT, Air Temp 80*
Old 06-25-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairian View Post
You can run without it, and a few have said that they saw gains (the highest I saw was 8 RWHP) but as far as exactly what it does you got me...

I BELIEVE it keeps track of the either the amount of air entering or the temperature and then accordingly changes the amount of fuel being put into the engine
So, I can cut it out altogether?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssballow View Post
So, I can cut it out altogether?
I wouldn't recommend cutting it out altogether...
I think IAT stands for Intake Air Temperature sensor
Old 06-26-2007, 12:07 AM

The IAT sensor is there to detect the temp of the air entering the engine from the intake. The signal sent from the sensor tells the computer what timing and amount of fuel the engine needs according to the air temp itself.

It is NOT the only sensor that controls the fuel and timing, there are many others sensors, these also include the O2 sensors, MAP (manifold air pressure) sensor and many other sensors and parameters to ensure the engine works properly.

One trick is to place a resistor in line with the sensor to trick the engine to think it is colder outside, then it will change the fuel and timing, not by much and therefore the changes are not dramatic and our computers adapt them selves and readjust.

If you disconnect the sensor or add to much resistance you will end up with a code and check engine light, I have played with this and other sensors and the car ran best by leaving it as it came.

Hope this helps,
Old 06-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemnfrank View Post
The IAT sensor is there to detect the temp of the air entering the engine from the intake. The signal sent from the sensor tells the computer what timing and amount of fuel the engine needs according to the air temp itself.

It is NOT the only sensor that controls the fuel and timing, there are many others sensors, these also include the O2 sensors, MAP (manifold air pressure) sensor and many other sensors and parameters to ensure the engine works properly.

One trick is to place a resistor in line with the sensor to trick the engine to think it is colder outside, then it will change the fuel and timing, not by much and therefore the changes are not dramatic and our computers adapt them selves and readjust.

If you disconnect the sensor or add to much resistance you will end up with a code and check engine light, I have played with this and other sensors and the car ran best by leaving it as it came.

Hope this helps,
Thanks Firemnfrank!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:54 AM

even with the code will taking it out give you a noticable diff. in pwr or at least throttle response? throttle responce is my biggest complaint.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:53 AM

I took it off when I dynoe'd and my HP jumped up 8hp. At the track I shaved about .2 off my time but I also deactivated the ESP via the stock button on the dash.

I wouldn't drive around with it out but a good thing to do would be to extend it as close to the filter as possible so that it gets the coolest air possible.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing for hemi View Post
even with the code will taking it out give you a noticable diff. in pwr or at least throttle response? throttle responce is my biggest complaint.
You should know that the car responds to how fast you press the throttle, not just how far. Faster press should get you a quicker response. Jab the throttle, and she'll lunge, slowly press down, she'll gently ease up to where you want.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:54 AM

I believe you will throw a code if you leave the IAT out. It codes for high or low, either shorted or dead. Some have resistors in the wiring and swear by it. I looked at one that had a resistor with my starscan and it was running at like 75 degrees. I think buying the extension and putting a resistor in it is the best approach. This way you can take the extension out when you wish and have normal operation, and put the extension in with the resistor for running at say the track.

C.

PPP 426ci.com Stroker, Track Warrior cam, half shafts, Mopar 392 Heads, Quaife LSD, Kooks LT headers, Dual Tbody intake, Corsa cat back, AFCO coilovers.
11.641 @ 116.805 (Best timeslip)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.