Gasoline Smell? (Moved) - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:21 AM

Gasoline Smell? (Moved)

Wondered if anybody else has had this problem? Every once in a while I get a strong smell of gasoline, not consistant just random. Plus I'm getting around 10 mpg in the city, Ive got a lead foot sometimes, but not bad enough to warrant this kind of MPG! I took my car into the service dept, the mgr said that they couldnt find anything by hooking up the comps and that for them to look further that they would have to smell the gas fumes themselves. Told me to bring it straight to the service dept next time I smelled the fumes. But of course it only happens when Im on the other side of town and by the time I get to the dealership the fumes have ceased to be. I didnt get this bad of gas milage when I first got the car, the fumes started showing up around 4000 miles and the mpg has gotten worse the more miles I rack up. Ive got about 7000 miles on her now.

Any help anybody?

Thanks,
PastorC
06 Inferno Red RT: Predator/180 Tstat/Zoomers/K&N CAI/Hancook Ventrus 275/40/R20 with Platium Twin Twist Rims/Rear SRT Style Spoiler/20% Tint/Rear Rockblockers/Trenz & T-Rex Grills/JDM Projector Halo Headlights/Billet Pedals/Custom Embroidered Mats/Red LED Interior Lights
"Pray Hard, Drive Fast"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2007, 04:22 AM

I am in the boat. service says 'bring it in as soon as it happens'. Well after about 20 minutes, the smell is gone. Someone said they had a bad O2 sensor go, and I asked about that, but the service guys said it would show up on the diagnostics; which they said they did, but nothing showed. I also noticed under the engine cover what looked like water spots around the right side fuel rail. Specifically arourd a part that looked like a fule pressure regulator, but I don't know, perhaps it leaks or bleeds off on occasion? It hasn't happened for a while, but the last time was when I nailed it for about 5 secs then let off quickly.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana2302 View Post
I am in the boat. service says 'bring it in as soon as it happens'. Well after about 20 minutes, the smell is gone. Someone said they had a bad O2 sensor go, and I asked about that, but the service guys said it would show up on the diagnostics; which they said they did, but nothing showed. I also noticed under the engine cover what looked like water spots around the right side fuel rail. Specifically arourd a part that looked like a fule pressure regulator, but I don't know, perhaps it leaks or bleeds off on occasion? It hasn't happened for a while, but the last time was when I nailed it for about 5 secs then let off quickly.
Not to change the subject, but where did you get the cool shaker hood?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:36 PM

I developed the same problem last Summer driving down from the Rockies. I heard a pop towards the back end and smelled fumes intermittently for the rest of the drive to CA. It turned out to be a cracked fuel tank (!) which was not covered by warranty as the dealer considered it must have been caused by an accident.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:21 AM

Have had the same problem as you guys with the raw gas smell, as well as the smell dissipating by the time they get it up on the lift at the dealer. Even though it is a very intermittent problem, I usually notice it more after I have had to brake hard to come to a stop when I have a full or near full tank of gas. I couldn't find any visible leaks prior to taking it to the dealer. After talking to several people, one advised that there is a large round disc or plug, for lack of a better description (I don't know the technical name for the part), through which the fuel line and other things go into the gas tank from the top, and that there is an O ring around it that may have gone bad. This seems to make sense. Sudden braking on a full tank of gas could cause gas to leak pass the O ring and onto the top of the tank. At my earliest opportunity, I'm going to do several hard brakes and try and get the car in the garage and up on jack stands to see if I can feel anything wet on top of the gas tank before the gas evaporates and the odor dissipates. Since some of the posts on this problem are a little dated, I was wondering if any of you got the problem resolved on your cars and it turned out to be what I am referring to.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:24 PM

I've noticed the smell occasionally, but I really just think its because of the aftermarket exhaust. Since I bought the car used I can't vouch for the quality of the installers work. But I mean with 5" tips (borla) and no cats what else could it be? I thought that bad 02 sensors just decreased gas mileage (could be wrong). If its something else let me know so I can get it fixed when I take my car in for service.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecrad View Post
Have had the same problem as you guys with the raw gas smell, as well as the smell dissipating by the time they get it up on the lift at the dealer. Even though it is a very intermittent problem, I usually notice it more after I have had to brake hard to come to a stop when I have a full or near full tank of gas. I couldn't find any visible leaks prior to taking it to the dealer. After talking to several people, one advised that there is a large round disc or plug, for lack of a better description (I don't know the technical name for the part), through which the fuel line and other things go into the gas tank from the top, and that there is an O ring around it that may have gone bad. This seems to make sense. Sudden braking on a full tank of gas could cause gas to leak pass the O ring and onto the top of the tank. At my earliest opportunity, I'm going to do several hard brakes and try and get the car in the garage and up on jack stands to see if I can feel anything wet on top of the gas tank before the gas evaporates and the odor dissipates. Since some of the posts on this problem are a little dated, I was wondering if any of you got the problem resolved on your cars and it turned out to be what I am referring to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS837 View Post
Why? This is not normally a thing that need service. I know when I pulled my Neon SRT-4s tank for the Stage 3 upgrade somewhere over 50K, the sock was dirty, I mean stained, but otherwise perfect. Unless you know for a fact that its clogged, I wouldn't even bother.

Now, heres the good part, if for soem reason you need to. You dont drop the tank at all. Pop up the bottom back seat cushion. See those two flaps in the sound insulation? Flip one up. the fuel tank access is there, you can remove the cover and then remove the pump/regulator/level sensor, filter sock.

Maybe remove the rear seat before you try your test, see if any fuel is sloshed out there.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've never had the rear seat or cushions out. Have only pushed the rear seat backs down when I needed to haul something long in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/T Beast View Post
Maybe remove the rear seat before you try your test, see if any fuel is sloshed out there.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecrad View Post
Thanks for the advice. I've never had the rear seat or cushions out. Have only pushed the rear seat backs down when I needed to haul something long in the car.
No problem. Figured that would be the most logical thing to do, since your going to see if it's leaking there.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:14 AM

Unhappy

Pulled the back seat out and found the two flaps that you were talking about that allowed access to the fuel tank, but no leaks there. Also found quite a few others posts on this site, under different threads than this one, where several other Charger owners are having the same problem. So far, can't find where anyone has posted a solution that has worked for anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/T Beast View Post
No problem. Figured that would be the most logical thing to do, since your going to see if it's leaking there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.