Oh no!! Charger smashed! - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications

Exterior Discussion/Modifications Discussion of exterior modifications belongs in this section, even if the visual modification slightly affects performance (ie. spoilers, etc)

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:34 AM

Oh no!! Charger smashed!

Hey all,

I'm hoping for some help and good advice over the next day or two... last night my poor '06 Silver Steel Charger R/T's front end was pretty much demolished ... the guy hit me with his '95 Camry on my driver's side, near the headlight... it was bleeding (leaking) anti-freeze, and I had to have it towed... All the guy who hit me could say was "wow, dat's a nice set of veels" (he didn't speak very good english).... Great, thanks a lot, buddy...

It's at the shop now, but we're not getting started on anything until Monday when I talk to my insurance company... While I have this thing in the shop (and since the insurance company in paying), does anyone have any good ideas on some cost-effective upgrades?

I was already thinking of maybe adding a different hood (the hood is bent and will probably be replaced), like maybe an SRT-8 hood or similar? If I DO upgrade the hood (would make sense to), what do you guys suggest? I originally wanted to go with the MOPAR hood, but I think the SRT-8 hood is like $1800 vs. $950 for the Charger hood... is it worth it me paying like $900-$1000 out of pocket for the SRT-8 hood, or should I look into an aftermarket?

Also, is there anything good (not TOO expensive) that I could/should do to the front end while it's in there (instead of replacing with factory parts)?

Any suggestions/ideas/pics are welcome... Thanks guys!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2007, 11:41 AM

if you need a stock hood i will sell you mine i took it off because i upgraded to a srt hood It is like new use the difference in price to cover your deductable or something
Old 01-20-2007, 11:46 AM

Send a message via MSN to broc2238
First of all, sorry to hear of the damage...why is your insurance company paying ??? (or did I misread)

Secondly, here's what I'd do personally:
  1. Replace the hood with the fiberglass SRT8 hood from carbonbydesign ($599.95)
  2. Aftermarket front-fascia. I like the Grip Tuning front-end ($850) and the RKSport front end ($469.95)
  3. Lastly some headlights with the Devil EyeSS halos from FocuzTech ($499.00)

I believe all of these costs are less than the factory cost of the same stock parts

Old 01-20-2007, 12:23 PM

I have my wifes charger in the paint shop right now, should be getting it out Monday. We had to replace the front fascia and the hood and passenger side fender, among other body work. I ordered the Grip Tuning fascia for $850.00 verses the factory for like $450.00 or so. I also got the Carbon by Design fiberglass hood for $527.00 shipped verses $950.00 or so for new factory hood. So I made out on the hood and paid about twice as much for the fascia, but all in all I got the stuff I had planned on doing some day any way for a few hundred bucks out of pocket. There is a Group Buy thread on the CBD hood if you can get it for that price you can run the Grip or RK front fascia, both of which have a more open mouth design, (lower opening on RK and both upper and lower on Grip) Either way I think it would look good. I will have pics up with in an hour of the car being done, so look back Mon.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to MySRT8U
Quote:
Originally Posted by broc2238 View Post
First of all, sorry to hear of the damage...why is your insurance company paying ??? (or did I misread)

Secondly, here's what I'd do personally:
  1. Replace the hood with the fiberglass SRT8 hood from carbonbydesign ($599.95)
  2. Aftermarket front-fascia. I like the Grip Tuning front-end ($850) and the RKSport front end ($469.95)
  3. Lastly some headlights with the Devil EyeSS halos from FocuzTech ($499.00)

I believe all of these costs are less than the factory cost of the same stock parts

yeah what he said. That is a good way to save on alot of costs. and why is your insurance paying? sounds like it was his fault. Does he not have insurance?

Proud member of the upgrade club!
Formerly ChargerR/T8604
http://www.discounttiredirect.com
INFERNO RED SRT8-cnc ported heads, zoomers, B&G pcm flash, Airaid CAI, Dual manual cut outs, 8000k HID kit with fogs, 15% tint all the way around, de-moulded. debadged trunk, srt8 side badging, Grip tuning front fascia, predator..I'm done for now
Old 01-20-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerR/T8604 View Post
yeah what he said. That is a good way to save on alot of costs. and why is your insurance paying? sounds like it was his fault. Does he not have insurance?
Actually, he does have insurance (me and the guy who hit me both have the same company)... Here's how it happened... I was going North on a one-way street, and had a stop-sign... he was coming East (no stop sign).

I stopped at the stop sign, looked left, no cars... pulled out to the middle of the street, no cars coming, looked to the right... Waited for 2 cars to pass... as the second car was passing, and I was about to pull forward, this guy nails me.

From what I can tell, he must've been going pretty fast, and the way he hit me makes me think he was trying to get around me or something... as it stands now, i'm guessing the insurance company will say that i'm at fault... we'll see what happens on Monday (when I talk to my rep).

Thanks for the tips, the CarbonbyDesign SRT-8 hood looks pretty good (though I haven't been able to find a good pic of the fiberglass installed on a Charger yet)... only issue i'm seeing is like $200 shipping... ouch! Brings the price up to $799.00 without paint... I guess that's still comparable to the stock Charger hood though, so maybe I'll do that. How do you guys think a matte black CBD SRT-8 fiberglass hood would look? Or should I stick with Silver Steel and maybe decal it later?

The front fascias also look pretty nice, I'll likely get one of those, too... not sure what the cost is on the factory part for the front-end. Does anyone have some good head-on pics of either the Grip-Tuning or RKSport front ends (with or without Silver Steel)?
Old 01-20-2007, 03:16 PM

Paint the grill the same color as the body?
Old 01-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to turbobuckeye Send a message via Yahoo to turbobuckeye Send a message via Skype™ to turbobuckeye
I would recommend the CarbonByDesign hood. I purchased the carbon fiber version and I gotta say its an excellent product.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...=27212&page=12

LX & Beyond on Facebook | LX & Beyond on Twitter | LX & Beyond on Google+
www.LXandBeyondNats.com
Old 01-20-2007, 04:11 PM

What ever you pick for upgrades should be done now. The insurance is going to pay for the labor so take advantage of that and also the repainting of those parts since they won't come painted so color choice is yours. This happened to me but I was rearended and needed a rear bumper cover plus internals and exhaust. Got the cat back system by Borla and CAI from Mopar cost only $117.00 . Look at what they will pay to repair and put the upgrades on that you want, it won't be any cheaper later on.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_exec View Post
the guy hit me with his '95 Camry
Oh, the indignity!
Poor Man's mods: Auto Headlights/Hood Struts/Visor Stickers/Bumper Scratch fix (O-rings)/Lock Pin O-rings/Blinker Mod/RD Hardwire/Cabin Air Filter/Storage Compartment/Blue Calipers/Honeycomb Grill Insert w/R/T Badge/Belly Pan Mod/GTS rain guards/aFe drop-in air filter/Gorilla Lug Nuts/Rear Blinker Mod/Backup Camera/Fumoto valve/PAC Audio media input/Challenger rims
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.