Charger Forums banner

Noise coming from front suspension!!!

5K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  cdn sxt 
#1 ·
Anyone have any problems with their charger making a "clunking" noise from the front suspension when they hit small bumps??? The noise is intensified while cornering and hitting bumps. It can also be felt through the steering wheel. Can't tell if it's coming from the right or left side...When I drive it sounds like it's coming from the right, when I sit in the passenger seat it sounds like it's coming from the driver side. The noise is only noticed at lower speeds. Anyone ever heard or experienced anything like this from their charger???
Thanks

#6 ·
I to have heard this, pisses me off:fuming: , I think it's a design thing. I have to drive over several speed humps at work and I just turn up the radio.:headbang: Dealer says, it's normal. BS.

#9 ·
.:headbang: Dealer says, it's normal. BS.
Where do these dealers get their training from??????

Noise when the suspension travels IS NOT NORMAL. Why is it that 40,000 vehicles can drive around without a noise like that and yours can't! They can't call it a 'trait' as I have spoken to numerous Charger owners and they don't have suspension noises! Therefore, this would indicate to me that this is FAR FROM NORMAL!!! A noise almost invariably is the result of something being wrong somewhere - the difficulty is finding it - and that's where the problem lies.

It's the same thing for the Charger brake pad screaching issue. I don't buy DC's response that it is because of semi-metallic friction material, because if this were normal every damn Charger on the road would do it - all of them. Now, as a vehicle designer and manufacturer, if a system problem (material) is resulting in an issue, something should be done to make it a non-issue - which is what DC must have done WRT brake noise as the majority of Chargers don't have it!!!!! Therefore, those that do have a defective noise cancelling system at the very least!!!!!

Do not lay down over these things - I am getting fed up with posts where dealers say things 'are normal' when it is complete BS! :confused:

#8 ·
I had a 300M that did this when I got it. The dealer could find nothing wrong. After I had about 4000 miles in it, it just stopped and never did it again.
I trade the 300M for my Charger and sure enough the Charger did it. After about 4000 miles it stops and hasn't come back yet.

Go figure.

#12 ·
Dealer told me it was normal and that "they all did it". They took me for a ride in a brand new charger, and said "hear it?? there it is". I didn't here a thing!! I've called the service manager and left messages, but no call backs. I need to find a decent service dept in san diego.

#11 ·
This might sound crazy guys, but check your brakes and rotors. They can cause a a thumpbing sound if they are going. Mine was making a noise that I think you have described around 600 miles, the rotors were grooved pretty bad, repaired and it stopped. I am however having the rotors replaced again right now at 7600 miles, but did not notice if the noise was back or not. Check out my new thread about rotors and brakes, VERY IMPORTANT> If you check the rotors on your cars and they have a "PREMATURE GROOVING" as Chrysler had put it, add your name to the thread. Even if its a slight groove, put your name on the list, then go directly to a dealer. We need to get this addressesd!!

#15 ·
This is exactly what the dealer just told me over that phone that was making my clunking noise!!! I can't believe rotors need to be replaced at 24000 miles. I'm definitely going to put my name on the thread.

#14 ·
I have the same problem but it didn't start until I installed my new springs. I thought it might be the upper control arm bushings that got damaged taking the front apart. Mine only happens on pretty big bumps and it sounds like metal on metal. I am really puzzeled now on what it could be.

#16 ·
I just passed 1000 miles and have been noticing this same thing recently. It only happens (or I can only hear it) when I turn right at slowish speeds (around 20mph). I have lowered my RT with the Eibach prokit and assumed the had something to do with that. It sounds BAD. Definitely metal clicking/hitting on metal. Sounds like is is coming from the center of the front of the car (not the near the brake rotors). Anyone figure this out yet? Taking my car to the dealer tomorrow to have it looked at.

#19 ·
Some have reported that changing the Tension struts fixed this.

Other have had the exhaust hitting a crossmember underneath. Just more things to check.

#20 ·
I took my RT to the dealer today and long story short, there was:
1. a bunch of stuff that needed tightening under there. He rambled off some stuff but it wasn't on my printed receipt, so I can't remember off hand
2. my MOPAR CAI was rubbing and hitting on something when the car bounced around
3. my car is lowered on the eibach prokit (tho still with the stock RT 18" wheel for the time being) and he said the tire was rubbing my wheel well a bit so they cut some out to make more room

The MOST important thing they said was despite the service manager walking by and seeing my car lowered with the MOPAR CAI and telling his crew that none of my work was covered under warranty *cough jerk cough*, they didn't charge me a penny. Believe, I brought those guys dozens of donuts when I came to pick up my car. I'd gladly pay $20 in donuts rather than $860 in labor (they fixed everything). I'd write a letter thanking them if I didn't think it would get them in trouble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.