OIl Press and lifter noise - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:42 AM

OIl Press and lifter noise

OK so my Daytona runs 18-20PSI at Hot Idle, goes to 45+ at operating revs and such. Seems I have a bit off lifter "click" both hot and cold but only at dead idle.

I am thinking about going with a slightly heavier oil (Castrol Syntec 10w-40) but the owners manual says to run 5w-20 or the MDS may not work properly.

I have the 8yr-80k mile warranty and it's a "Certified" car, so if it pukes a lifter, it's dodge's problem, but it bugs me!

I also thought about some Lucas Synthetic additive. I have used it before and think it's a pretty good product.

Does anybody else have a noisy lifter or two? What oil is everybody else running?

Am I just being WAY to anal about the lifter noise?

More iritated than concerned about it, a little feedback please?
2006 Go Man-Go Daytona, #0023-4000, (mods)Inertia Motorsports heads/SRT MAX cam, AFR gauge, JBA CAT delete pipes/shorties, dual Magnaflows, Pro Torque 2800 stall converter, Diablo Predator, Custom CAI, 180 t-stat, NO ESP switch...bring it baby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2006 GoMango Daytona R/T
Re: OIl Press and lifter noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcraigco
OK so my Daytona runs 18-20PSI at Hot Idle, goes to 45+ at operating revs and such. Seems I have a bit off lifter "click" both hot and cold but only at dead idle.

I am thinking about going with a slightly heavier oil (Castrol Syntec 10w-40) but the owners manual says to run 5w-20 or the MDS may not work properly.

I have the 8yr-80k mile warranty and it's a "Certified" car, so if it pukes a lifter, it's dodge's problem, but it bugs me!

I also thought about some Lucas Synthetic additive. I have used it before and think it's a pretty good product.

Does anybody else have a noisy lifter or two? What oil is everybody else running?

Am I just being WAY to anal about the lifter noise?

More iritated than concerned about it, a little feedback please?
I have a little lifter/injector noise - not worried about it. I would use the oil advised by the manufacturer TBH - especially as you have the extended warranty. You don't need to put additives into a good quality synthetic oil IMHO. I am running Mobil1.

I think you might be worrying over nothing, but if it is bugging you that much, try popping it into the dealer and get them to adjust the tappets?

Don't Hassle the HOFF

Arf - expert in and
Old 09-01-2006, 11:14 AM

Yeah, It's still on the oil the dealer put in when they serviced it on receipt from daimler-chrysler. I'll go to a correct weight full synthetic at the first change.

I too think I am worrying over nothing, I tend to think every little noise is a catostrophic engine failure waiting to happen... BUT then I go and HAMMER on it anyway...!!!

I just wanted to make sure nobody was goin' to say they puked a rod or something 500miles after hearing a similiar noise.

Besides, I'm old school with a capital "O" and am not accustomed to injector popping noises and such. Now that I think about it it's possible it's an injector that's a bit noisy.

Just consider me paranoid..

Old 09-01-2006, 12:36 PM

You're probably hearing the infamous "Hemi-Tick". These engines do have quite noisy lifters and valvetrains. If you pull the engince shroud off, the noticability increases substantially.

'06 Silver Steel Charger R/T|R\T
Old 09-03-2006, 11:32 PM

i thought the lifters and cams were supposed to make a distinctive sound anyways...

GONE - 2006 Brilliant Black Charger SRT8 Options I & II
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

NOW - 2005 Midnight Blue Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi
Still Hemi-fied, and Loving It!!!
Old 09-04-2006, 06:58 AM

Location: S.E. PA........(The birth of my 1st healthy grandson Dylan, is my true treasure from God. Amen)

That noise has bothered me since day one. Everyone says its normal, and we have to live with the imfamous HEMI tick. If I knew for sure that a heavier oil would help I'd do it. If all I lost was MDS its not a big deal for me, just as long as no other damage came along with the use of 10-30 or 10-40 oil.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:10 PM

I dropped a quart of Lucas full synthetic and it quieted down for a bit, along with a corresponding rise in Oil Pressure. Once everything got mixed good and the engine/oil went through several heat cool cycles and got ****genized well.....the noise came back just like before.

I wouldn't recommend going with heavier oil as just adding the Lucas raised my pressure to 50psi at idle and 70psi at cruise and under accelleration. Once it all settled down it;s back to 20 at idle and 45 or so at cruise.

A heavier weight oil would not settle down and that's WAY too much pressure if the pump/oiling system is not designed for it.

SSSOOoooooooo..............learn to love the "Hemi Tick!"
Old 09-15-2006, 03:04 PM

Could it be the MSD decoupling the lifters that you are hearing at idle? Anyway that is what I keep telling myself what it is.....
Old 09-15-2006, 03:16 PM

Never thought of that. Mybe so. Anyway, now that I know it's a common thing, I'm not going to worry about it. The noise goes away as soon as the rear tires light up!! Hooray for my S/C Flashpaq!
Old 09-15-2006, 03:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Crazy_luck Send a message via Yahoo to Crazy_luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrider View Post
Could it be the MSD decoupling the lifters that you are hearing at idle? Anyway that is what I keep telling myself what it is.....

MDS does NOT function at idle. The paramters do not exist - one of the parameters is oil pressure - it needs about 45psi oil pressure before it will engage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.