Clunking noise when going over uneven surfaces or pot holes - Dodge Charger Forums
V6 Specific Discussion This area is for discussion about V6 powered Dodge Chargers.

#1 Old 02-19-2014, 12:36 PM
Wickedx5150

(Thread Starter)
Clunking noise when going over uneven surfaces or pot holes

I have this problem when I'm driving that when I go over any uneven surface or potholes, it does this loud clunking noise when the tires go thru them... I thought it was the brakes but supposedly that wasn't it..

I've been told it's the lower control arm or aka "tension strut" and it's possibly because the ball joint is waisted. Has anybody has had this problem or know what it really is?

Would be much appreciated

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-19-2014, 12:41 PM
PlumCrazyDaytona
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Send a message via MSN to PlumCrazyDaytona Send a message via Yahoo to PlumCrazyDaytona
lower ball joints...tie rods or tension strut....replace them all with moog greasable parts

6.1 Intake manifold,SRT MAX cam on 112lsa, CNC Inertia Heads milled,mopar TCM,blue tops, 3000 Edge converter 3.91 Getrag, Kooks LongTubes, catless mids and SLP Loud Mouth II, powerbond undrive pulley, 170 tstat, , R1 crossdrilled/slotted rotors, HAWK Pads,eibach lowering springs,dampners,sways mopar strut braces, razors edge sub frame connectors #157 of 1400 ACES IV Quantum Blue Lubricants PB 1/4 12.38@110.66
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...2-12-13-01.mp4
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...=VIDEO0010.mp4
#3 Old 02-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Wickedx5150

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumCrazyDaytona View Post
lower ball joints...tie rods or tension strut....replace them all with moog greasable parts
Ive only got the tension strut so Idk if just to change that and it will go away.. but of course I know changing all is the best/smart way...

Any specific one of the 3 u think it's really coming from tho? Or just it's the combination of all 3 then

#4 Old 02-19-2014, 05:27 PM
PlumCrazyDaytona

Send a message via MSN to PlumCrazyDaytona Send a message via Yahoo to PlumCrazyDaytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedx5150 View Post
Ive only got the tension strut so Idk if just to change that and it will go away.. but of course I know changing all is the best/smart way...

Any specific one of the 3 u think it's really coming from tho? Or just it's the combination of all 3 then

Its hard to say without grabbing the suspension and hitting it to see where the noise is coming from.

The reason I say to replace them all is once you have the tension strut off the rest are just that close, and they are known to fail. See I replaced everything last spring but the lower ball joints....guess whats making noise now....
#5 Old 02-19-2014, 07:19 PM
Wickedx5150

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumCrazyDaytona View Post
Its hard to say without grabbing the suspension and hitting it to see where the noise is coming from.

The reason I say to replace them all is once you have the tension strut off the rest are just that close, and they are known to fail. See I replaced everything last spring but the lower ball joints....guess whats making noise now....
damn that sucks homie.. u know what then I'll go ahead and replace all of them now that you've mentioned that. I really appreciate it, it will be done this Friday for sure now

#6 Old 02-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Eleanor

I did all of my front end parts and still had it. Turned out to be the strut bushing or something like that. Wasnt expensive at all to replace.

Black 2006 SXT - CAI, NOESP Mod, Tinted Tails, Tinted Windows, Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS.

West Michigan Charger Owners (Group)

#7 Old 02-20-2014, 10:37 AM
Wickedx5150

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
I did all of my front end parts and still had it. Turned out to be the strut bushing or something like that. Wasnt expensive at all to replace.

Thanks appreciate it.that's what I'm about to change tomorrow

#8 Old 02-20-2014, 11:03 AM
Eleanor

Chances are its a combination lf all of it and it all needs to be replaced. Its not all that expensive and all these parts are easy to do so might as well do it all. Mine never went away until i did the bushings but it got better as i did the other stuff.

Replace the upper and lower joints And both tie rods with moog parts

#9 Old 02-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Surfcharger

I have the same clunk noise going on in my front left suspension. I want to get this fixed as it's been going on for a while and I don't want it to cause other problems.

So is this something I can replace myself or should I take it to my mechanic to do it? What would you guys rate this 1-10 for difficulty with 10 being difficult and saying for instance installing a CAI is a 4.

Thanks

Lighting: HID angel eye halo projector headlights, HID fog lights, swap blue LED interior lights, blue LED gauge needles, blue gauge, LED foot well lighting, grille led lighting,
Exterior: SRT hood, SRT spoiler, Daytona style trunk, panel stripes, blue painted calipers, Enkeis 20's, blacked out mesh style grille, window rain gaurds
Interior: full JBL sound system, JVC stereo/monitor, back up camera, Autopage security system/remote start
Performance: Magnaflow dual exhaust, aFe Stage 2 CAI, Diablo Intune 93 Octane
#10 Old 02-20-2014, 12:28 PM
H20buryCharger

Garage
Send a message via AIM to H20buryCharger
Yeah do the sway bar bushing first. I spent almost $800 to solve the clunk. And it wasn't the problem. Then to find out it was the bushing the whole time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

The Waterbury Charger
2007 Charger R/T
Flat black roof spoiler, Kenwood DNX 6160 with Nav with two 12" power acustic subwoofers powered by Kenwood 800 watt amp, aftermarket Reverse Camera, Billet Tech Oil Catch Can, K&N 57 Series Intake, JBA Exhaust, and ACC Amber Halos.

2009 SXT 3.5 H.O Gone but not forgotten!

http://www.cardomain.com/member/h20burygrandam/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List