Tie Rod vs Tie Rod Ends (Difference) - Dodge Charger Forums
Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension Discussion about anything involving the wheels, tires, suspension components, etc.

#1 Old 02-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Brittny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tie Rod vs Tie Rod Ends (Difference)

Took my car to an auto shop for an oil change & tire rotation and no more than 30 minutes later I get a call saying my Tie Rod Ends need replacing and that vehicle shouldn't be driven. Of course I ask them not to touch a thing.

I began searching online for Tie Rods, Tie Rod ends if my car needs inner and outer, if it even requires both, etc. Long story short they are asking over $500 for 3.4 hours of labor. I was able to find the exact brand (Moog) inner and outer ends for $111 through o'reilly.

Guys help me out. I honestly don't know what I'm doing or looking for $500 seems excessive

I drive a 2007 Dodge Charger V6 3.5L...i think i do know that it is RWD for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-18-2014, 12:51 PM
06supercharger

It's likely you do need tie rod ends, these cars go thru em like crazy, but $500 is a bit excessive. Find another shop or go to someone who's mechanically inclined. Not a huge deal to replace em.

Current - 06 Ram 1500 Laramie. TRX off road package, loaded. Stock so far.

Gone, never forgotten. 06 RT - Pred 93 CAI tune, K&N Drop In, Flowmaster Super 44's, Eibach pro kit, reso delete, drilled and slotted Baer rotors, Baer ceramic pads ,blacked out EVERYTHING .

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON ....
#3 Old 02-18-2014, 01:31 PM
Brittny

(Thread Starter)
Thank you so much for the info. Is it safe to assume that Tie Rods and Tie Rod Ends are the same things?
#4 Old 02-18-2014, 01:41 PM
ColdSteel

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittny View Post
Thank you so much for the info. Is it safe to assume that Tie Rods and Tie Rod Ends are the same things?
Nope. The tie rod is the metal rod that the inner and outer tie rod ends thread onto. The inner connects to the steering rack and the outer has the ball joint that allows the wheels to turn.

2008 R/T -Demoulded, Debadged, Daytona grille, Predator
Mopar CAI, LED Tails, HID Lows/Fogs, Tinted Windows SLP Loudmouth II, BT Catch Can, BT Shift Insert
Matte Black SRT Replicas w/ Hankook Ventus v12 evo tires (Stock wheels with Firestone Winterforce tires away until November)
#5 Old 02-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Brittny

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSteel View Post
Nope. The tie rod is the metal rod that the inner and outer tie rod ends thread onto. The inner connects to the steering rack and the outer has the ball joint that allows the wheels to turn.
Mindblow! This makes sense though. I did ask the folks at the shop this same question they insisted that the inner and outer rods needs replacing. I'll guess they meant the TIE ROD ENDS.
#6 Old 02-18-2014, 02:35 PM
06supercharger

Tie rod ends are the outer rods. If they said you need both, then you need the inner and the tie rod end. And again, these cars eat em up, so I'm sure they're not bull****ting you. But you can do much better on the price. Last time I had em done I got full sets from rock auto and had my shop put em in since it was cold as hell. Charged me around $200 for labor. Killed me to pay for something I have done myself, but still better than freezing my nuts off.
#7 Old 02-18-2014, 05:27 PM
Eleanor

Go woth moogs, replace all four. You can do it yourself with a jack and basic tools very easily. Then take it for an alignment. I did mine in under two hours and I also did a ball joint at same time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Black 2006 SXT - CAI, NOESP Mod, Tinted Tails, Tinted Windows, Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS.

West Michigan Charger Owners (Group)

#8 Old 02-18-2014, 05:44 PM
PlumCrazyDaytona
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to PlumCrazyDaytona Send a message via Yahoo to PlumCrazyDaytona
Use Moog, do it yourself. Now if your are doing your tie rods....do both lower ball joints at the same time to save yourself sometime and headache...the ball joints will fail next so replace them and be done for 50k

6.1 Intake manifold,SRT MAX cam on 112lsa, CNC Inertia Heads milled,mopar TCM,blue tops, 3000 Edge converter 3.91 Getrag, Kooks LongTubes, catless mids and SLP Loud Mouth II, powerbond undrive pulley, 170 tstat, , R1 crossdrilled/slotted rotors, HAWK Pads,eibach lowering springs,dampners,sways mopar strut braces, razors edge sub frame connectors #157 of 1400 ACES IV Quantum Blue Lubricants PB 1/4 12.38@110.66
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...2-12-13-01.mp4
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...=VIDEO0010.mp4
#9 Old 02-18-2014, 06:30 PM
D's 08 RT

Smile

Use the Moog problem solver greaseable parts.

The car must be raised and put on jackstands or on a lift to proceed

This is the outer tie rod end

This is the inner and the tool required to remove it

You have to remove this boot on the rack to gain access

Take a measurement before removing outers (for rough toe setting)

You're going to need this tool to release the tie rod ends

Then you can remove the outers with a pair of adjustable wrenches. Then remove the boot clamps, you may have to replace the inner with a narrow hose clamp. But If you're careful the inner one can be reused. remove the boot ,then place the tie rod tool (from HFT)with the crow foot on the inner and break loose with a 1/2" drive breaker bar or long handle ratchet

Installation is the reverse, Torque the inner to MFG spec or spec provided by moog, reinstall the boot/clamps, install the new jam nut/tie rod end and adjust to measurements taken before removal. Place the tapered studs in the spindle, tighten,torque to spec, install cotter key. Put the wheels on lower the car and go get an alignment.

If you need pics on how to change the tension strut or the lower ball joint I can post those up too, the tension strut is pretty easy, but the lower ball joints are a PITA unless you have the correct Miller tools (and a torch) to remove them., D

'08,R/T, R&T, Mopar CAI,strut brace & rear air diffuser,Diablo 91oct CAI tune,BT catch can,waterneck,fuse box,strut & underhood covers,Jet 180* t-stat,RE hood/trunk strut covers,Painted ABS cover,radiator shroud,tank & firewall,Stainless braided lines,3Gs engine cover inset,22" staggered Lexani lx-15wheels,UAS,Accuair,Progress sways, Koni shocks,BWoody end links,SPC UCAs front, JHS Adj. rear camberlinks,BFX HID 6000k Hi/Lo beams &3000k fogs,flashtech halos,Tinted windows,Tinted tails,Sequential tail lights,VDI doors, Red led interior & trunk lights,Billet pedals,Hurst billet shifter,R/T logo trunk liner,Flowmaster super 40s,Blastin' bobs resos,4" stainless DW tips .

Last edited by D's 08 RT; 02-18-2014 at 06:37 PM.
#10 Old 02-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Eleanor

Dont need lift or jackstands. A simple 2 ton floor jack gets it done

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension

Tags
tie rod-tie rod ends-help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List