Stalling issue resolved with new Chrysler lifetime fuel tank warranty! - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

#1 Old 02-14-2014, 01:08 PM
Ddaddy
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Stalling issue resolved with new Chrysler lifetime fuel tank warranty!

US ends probe of Chrysler engine stalling

Feb 14, 9:03 AM (ET)

DETROIT (AP) - The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has closed an investigation into engine stalling in some Chrysler cars after the company extended the fuel tank warranty.

The probe covered nearly 154,000 Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Dodge Magnum cars from 2006. The cars have 5.7-liter or 6.1-liter V8 engines.

Investigators checked more than 1,200 complaints and found 299 in which the fuel system allowed gas tanks to be over-filled. That caused the cars to stall when stopped or at low speeds.

The problem was traced to a fuel shut-off device that can stick open when exposed to high-ethanol gasoline. Chrysler updated the part in new cars and guaranteed it for life in cars now on the road.

The agency said Friday that the problem is a low risk to safety.

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-14-2014, 01:59 PM
GLHS837
Super Moderator

Wait, so if my car ever suffers the overfill leading to the tanks becoming useless, ever, its covered?

"For a mechanic, you seem to do an excessive amount of thinking."
―C-3PO, to R2-D2
#3 Old 02-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Ron380

I sure wish that covered the problematic ball-valve in the RAM fuel tanks! Look for "fuel overflow" on any Dodge Truck forum! IF the previous owner had taken the truck in to get this looked at (under the 3/36 warranty) it would have been fixed free! Me, I'm outa ruck.
I can "guesstimate" fairly well how much fuel I need to fill it, so I can do the first 2/3rds or 3/4's using the "lock" tab on the pump. Then I have to stop the flow for a minute, then continue v e r y s l o w l y until the pump shuts off. Otherwise it spews gas all over the ground.

2007 TorRed SXT/AWD: Gone, but not forgotten.
2011 Mustang GT, Kona Blue
2007 Ram 1500 4x4, 4.7l V8. mods have started...
#4 Old 02-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Ddaddy

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS837 View Post
Wait, so if my car ever suffers the overfill leading to the tanks becoming useless, ever, its covered?
That's what they say. All existing vehicles on the road with this design issue will be covered for life.

It makes sense since it saves them the cost of recalling all of them and only have to fix the ones that come in for repair. I also suspect that if it's fixed once, it will never need to be fixed again since they have redesigned the part at issue.
#5 Old 02-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Ddaddy

Garage
(Thread Starter)
From another source...

February 14, 2014 at 8:46 am
Chrysler extends fuel tank warranties on 153,000 older cars
David Shepardson
Detroit News Washington Bureau

Chrysler is extending warranties on fuel tanks in more than 153,000 older vehicles over complaints of engine stalling at low speeds, the government said Friday.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Friday it is ending its investigation into 153,817 2006 Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Magnum vehicles equipped with 5.7L and 6.1L 8-cylinder HEMI engines after receiving nearly 300 reports that the engines may stall refueling when the vehicle is stopped or traveling at low speeds.

The safety agency said the problem didn’t represent a serious risk to auto safety and said Chrysler’s solution was adequate.

NHTSA’s decision came after last month when Chrysler and a supplier developed a solution to the problem and extended lifetime warranty coverage on the vehicles’ fuel tanks, NHTSA disclosed in a document posted Friday.

NHTSA said the multifunction control valve fuel shutoff float integrated into 19-gallon fuel tanks can swell in a stuck open position allowing an overfill condition.

“This condition causes fuel to enter into the purge line which may result in engine stall after refueling. Chrysler's investigation determined that the problem was related to dimensional changes/swelling of the float when exposed to fuels with high ethanol content,” NHTSA said. “Chrysler and its supplier, Stant, developed new fuel soak test requirements to address the condition and extended the warranty period on 19-gallon fuel tanks to lifetime coverage.”

NHTSA said there were 299 unique reports indicating that the fuel system allowed an overfill condition after refueling, and the predominant failure mode identified involved stalling when stopped or traveling at low speeds.

“The condition that is causing the majority of stalling incidents in the subject vehicles occurs at a stop or low speed and allows the vehicle to be restarted immediately. The condition represents a low risk to motor vehicle safety and is adequately addressed by Chrysler's extended warranty,” NHTSA said.
#6 Old 02-14-2014, 06:52 PM
Part Deux
Super Moderator

How about NHTSA?
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...h&summary=true

Going to move this and sticky it

Did you know that - Thread
How do I everything - Thread

aka THO.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Stoned Charger View Post
I have a name for the 3 new mods...............Druken Purple Pirates!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona606 View Post
American Muscle, like a pit bull. Big but not large, well defined, explosive power, in it till the end. The cat will give it go and zig and zag, but in the end the pit bull will always catch the cat – the outcome is never good for the cat.
#7 Old 02-14-2014, 07:16 PM
Ddaddy

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Part Deux View Post
How about NHTSA?
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...h&summary=true

Going to move this and sticky it
Cool, thanks! Good call on adding the NHTSA link.
#8 Old 02-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Part Deux
Super Moderator

This is why I always recommend people file complaints with NHTSA. Enough complaints come in and they start an investigation. Nothing gets an OEM more "excited", than the NHTSA knocking at their door saying, we think there's a problem here.
#9 Old 02-14-2014, 09:18 PM
mnunes

I've added a link to the "Everything" thread on this, too.
#10 Old 02-16-2014, 07:13 AM
TB88

Great news. I wonder what the letter will tell owners to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List