Resonator removal ? - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:18 AM

Resonator removal ?

Good evening people,
I purchased my GomanGo charger #3912 just over a week ago and love it!! I am a bit disappointed with the mellow sound, even though the Daytona supposedly sports a "performance exhaust". I am considering removing the resonators, and trying it for a month. If that doesn't do it, I'll probably put some flowmaster 40s in. Has anyone removed just the resonators, and if so - did you like the result??

Thanks,
Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2006, 02:44 AM

Re: Resonator removal ?

Firstly, welcome to the board Brad! Glad to have you with us! We're all a bunch of nuts here, hope you'll enjoy it.

There are a bunch of threads here that cover both removal of the suitcase, as well as resonator removal, and even more covering various complete aftermarket Cat-Back kits. As for the "Performance Exhaust", it actually is, as the front muffler (the suitcase) is a straight-through design. In other words it is not baffled.

If I were you, I would start with removing the suitcase first, instead of the resonators if you are in any way concerned about interior resonant noise. This is the method I coined a name for called the "Brylcreem Exhaust Mod". Check my sig for a link to the thread about it. It's very cheap (most places are less than $60 total bill), boasts a pretty decent boost to the exhaust note under load, and is easy to revert to stock should you choose to.

Resonator removal - If you don't care about interior resonant noise (drone), and want a substantially louder exhaust note, then this is a great way to go. It will cost you either slightly over the Brylcreem method, or potentially alot more, depending on what options you choose. You could replace the resonators with glasspacks or Flowmasters, which will keep the sound pretty subdued, or you could just have some new tips and pipe welded onto the hanging pipe after the resos have been cut off. This will yeild the most noise without going to a fully straight-pipe setup.

Both of these options, or even a modified Brylcreem setup where instead of replacing the suitcase with short pipes you mount a Flowmaster or other muffler(s), are all going to be relatively inexpensive compared to going with a full Cat-Back system.

To be quite honest, the performance gains are going to be pretty close accross the board, as these cars already breathe very well. You might see a slight increased yeild in HP from the resonator delete as they remain the most restrictive devices after the cats.

I'm sure others will post here too and give advice! Good luck with your choice!

Oh, and btw....post some pics! It's a requirement here

'06 Silver Steel Charger R/T|R\T
Old 08-21-2006, 02:11 PM

I started with he Tuna Boat mod (removing the resonators) but after losing 30% of my hearing in 3 days, I put magnaflows on with no resonators and love it.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:57 PM

I want to say THANKS!! to RTjunkie for his timely response, and due to that response I have started down the "MOD" path on my Charger. Of course - being in Southern California, they tried to charge me 150 bucks for the change. I got them down to 100 and went for it. Sounds more like a Hemi now!

Thanks again,
Brad
Old 08-21-2006, 03:38 PM

I removed my Reso's, and love it, replaced those HUGE heavy puppies with a straight pipe. I won't put anything back on untill I trade it in for a Challenger.
Yes there is drone at any thing over 2000 RPM, I just turn the radio up to around 25 or more and I can't hear the drone at all!

For those that like to lighten the ass end of the car, reso. delete is the way to go. I can smoke 'em with less energy = less gas... See I am helping the enviroment! I can also slide the ass end of my Charger around a corner much better now.
Top Banana #2448 VA TAG "1M FASTR" No Moa's TB 2105 will not be forgot
MODS 315.7 RWHP 322.8 RWT
Wifes
06 Dodge Charger SE VA TAG "GEEK GRL" Beauty mods See GeekGrl
Old 08-21-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradbxyz
I want to say THANKS!! to RTjunkie for his timely response, and due to that response I have started down the "MOD" path on my Charger. Of course - being in Southern California, they tried to charge me 150 bucks for the change. I got them down to 100 and went for it. Sounds more like a Hemi now!

Thanks again,
Brad

So what route did you go? just cut the RES. out?

Ryan
Old 08-21-2006, 05:58 PM

hemidude13 here, had midas cut the reso,s off bend some pipe and weld my tips back on . 30 minutes,75 buck,s "the mango roars "
Old 08-21-2006, 07:28 PM

Heh, I am still giving serious thought to deleting my reso's. I've already killed off the Suitcase, can you imagine the roar with the reso's gone!

And yeah, which mod did you decide on Brad?

'06 Silver Steel Charger R/T|R\T
Old 08-21-2006, 08:16 PM

I had the suitcase removed, and an really happy with the throaty response now. One of my friends commented this past weekend on how quiet the exhaust was, and we just can't have that!!

Brad
Old 08-21-2006, 08:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Crazy_luck Send a message via Yahoo to Crazy_luck

I went the reso - delete route, I've heard one with no muffler and resos left in place and it wasn't as agressive (still sounded good, just not as agressive...). Had mine done for $150, but the tips were $45 a piece (3.5" diameter x 13" long, polished stainless). Good example for the sound, check the "leavin my mark" link in my signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.