Dukes of Hazzard Rims - Dodge Charger Forums
Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension Discussion about anything involving the wheels, tires, suspension components, etc.

#1 Old 09-15-2005, 04:50 PM
gfmedia

Send a message via AIM to gfmedia
(Thread Starter)
Dukes of Hazzard Rims

Okay dont get me wrong, I do love the general lee, but I am not making a new interpereration (alotught the one on EBAY could have been way better). However I am about to imbark on desiging a design based on a few ideas off here, and lots of my own to meld the old Charger to the new, and one thing I have been looking for b/c I love the look, is the General Lee rims, but I would like to find ones that could be custom made. Meaing machined to match the look but designed to the size of my current R/T rims. Just looking for designers who do this and cost on customizing them to match style and new rims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-16-2005, 06:38 AM
ChargerSXT

Re: Dukes of Hazzard Rims

PLEASE let me know what you find out! I have been looking for something like this since I saw the debut of the new Charger. I would LOVE to have a set of those rims. Maybe with a polished lip and leading edges of the "spokes" (I'm not sure what you call them), and then painted black in the pockets? Or polished throughout? Either way would be cool, I think.
#3 Old 09-16-2005, 09:39 AM
bstowers

Some background information:

http://www.hazzardretreat.com/buildageneral.asp

The General Lee features American Racing "Vector" rims that had 10 spokes and were all aluminum. The vectors are no longer in production by American Racing but it isn't too hard to find the originals or clones on Ebay. One thing to note is that Buick has a rim from 1985 that looks like the vectors but the bolt pattern is different than what your Charger is going to need. You may still be able to use the Buick rims if you re-drill the holes or use an adapter. When looking on Ebay for rims, be careful as many will be advertised as "General Lee rims!" but will have 20 spokes.

The standard for a first unit General Lee was 14inch vectors (14x7) and occassionaly 15x7 on the back and 14x7 on the front. It is typical to find 15x8.5 vectors used on replicas which give the wheels a wider look.

And a little more info:

http://www.motorcities.com/contents/05HMN515609005.html

The correct American Racing Vector rims were media blasted and powder coated black. Then all surfaces were lathed and then the rims were clearcoated.
#4 Old 09-16-2005, 10:34 AM
gfmedia

(Thread Starter)

thanks for the reply, I guess I don't want the exact replicas, I am more looking for a new take on itto the point that how the Daytonas, I beleive, are machined alumminum, with black pockets. Basically applying that same look into new machined ones for the charger that I could just replace the huge tires I have now, because from my undertanding the current rims are much larger than the old school ones. Over the next few months I am laying out my plans to resemble an old school Charger with those rims. I will post pics over the next few months on my plans.
#5 Old 09-21-2005, 07:57 AM
ChargerSXT

Question Re: Dukes of Hazzard Rims

How goes the effort?

www.hr-mopar.com

Rule #1 of the Car - Respect the man's car and the man will respect you.

#6 Old 09-27-2005, 07:10 PM
gfmedia

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerSXT
How goes the effort?
Nothing so far, I am going to try to cantact some prefabbers and see about adapting the american racing tires, I love these rims. See how they look on my mockup plans

Verbal Kint: Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well, I believe in God -- and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.
By the way, I make mistakes.
#7 Old 09-27-2005, 10:42 PM
ChargerSXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmedia
adapting the american racing tires
Which American Racing tires?

I like the rims in your mockup. I think that they'll really look good on my black SXT.
#8 Old 04-19-2006, 08:09 AM
ChargerSXT

Anything new, GF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List