2012 Charger RT Transmission Valve Body Needs Replaced - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Models (2011 - Up) > Charger Problems/Assistance (2011 +)

Charger Problems/Assistance (2011 +) You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:21 AM

My Charger: '13 Dodge Charger R/T Road & Track
Question 2012 Charger RT Transmission Valve Body Needs Replaced

So on Monday I was driving the car normal to the local store and noticed during a shift change a clunk as if it missed a gear. Kinda weird in an automatic but following accordingly my check engine light came on. I lost all power as if the car was left in neutral. Had to pull into the center of the road and turn the car off. Started back up and drove fine after. Little scary to lose power on the highway with the kids in the car and traffic all over the place at rush hour. Went straight to the dealer where they put me in a rental and read the check engine light. Came back as incorrect gear ratio. So now they have contacted Dodge engineering and they recommend they replace the valve body due to possible debris causing this error. They were unable to duplicate this problem but as a precautionary measure they going to replace it and all new fluids/ filter. I barely have 6000 miles on the car and it is not modified besides a lmi hammer intake. At the time I was not even driving hard but was in auto stick mode.

Has anyone else seen this problem happen with our cars or older ones? I thought it was limp mode but the dealer has said other wise. As well I have numerous electrical problems with this car since I've bought it. Nothing major that they haven't been able to fix until now that it becomes a safety issue!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 06:36 AM

My Charger: 2012 SRT8
Good luck getting it fixed. Hopefully the dealer figures out the issue. I've not had any kind of issue like that... and hope I don't either.

Now my rear speaker deck vibrates when I crank the tunes... its really annoying.. lol

Current 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8
Traded 2012 Dodge Charger R/T AWD
Old 04-10-2013, 06:53 AM

Thanks for the reply. And I'm hoping the same thing that this fixes the issue and it doesn't arise again at a later point. Thank you 100k warranty!
I haven't had any troubles with any rattling besides the sun-glass holder that everyone complains about..
Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 AM

My Charger: 2012 SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargermaxx View Post
Thanks for the reply. And I'm hoping the same thing that this fixes the issue and it doesn't arise again at a later point. Thank you 100k warranty!
I haven't had any troubles with any rattling besides the sun-glass holder that everyone complains about..
I don't have that issue...lol Didn't even hear/read about that one. I hate rattles and vibrations... I've had the car in twice for the rear deck rattling when songs with base come on. It's going back again... see if there's anything else they can do.

Good luck
Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 AM

Let me know if they come up with anything at the dealer. So if this becomes an issue I can get it fixed as well.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to hskr Send a message via Yahoo to hskr
This is exactly why manufacturers provide warranties. **** happens.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
So on Monday I was driving the car normal to the local store and noticed during a shift change a clunk as if it missed a gear. Kinda weird in an automatic but following accordingly my check engine light came on. I lost all power as if the car was left in neutral. Had to pull into the center of the road and turn the car off. Started back up and drove fine after. Little scary to lose power on the highway with the kids in the car and traffic all over the place at rush hour. Went straight to the dealer where they put me in a rental and read the check engine light. Came back as incorrect gear ratio. So now they have contacted Dodge engineering and they recommend they replace the valve body due to possible debris causing this error. They were unable to duplicate this problem but as a precautionary measure they going to replace it and all new fluids/ filter. I barely have 6000 miles on the car and it is not modified besides a lmi hammer intake. At the time I was not even driving hard but was in auto stick mode.

Has anyone else seen this problem happen with our cars or older ones? I thought it was limp mode but the dealer has said other wise. As well I have numerous electrical problems with this car since I've bought it. Nothing major that they haven't been able to fix until now that it becomes a safety issue!!
my 2011 did something similar last year. What it turned out to be was a broken support bracket for the valve body. what happens is sometimes when the torque converter clutch breaks/beds in, it creates some debris, which can cause valves in the valve body to stick....they stick until enough pressure builds to release them, and that violent release can break this support bracket. it's not a common problem, but it is a known one. the tranny guy at the dealer knew exactly what it was when I brought it in before they even did the diagnostics/visual inspection, and the bracket needed was on national backorder, but they were able to get one through a transmission rebuilder that apparently buys all of chrysler's stock of this part when they become available.

the service manager said mine is the 4th car they've seen at the dealership with this problem since the LX's were introduced in 2005. the other 3 were all charger cop cars.

Chrysler's warranty procedure is to replace the bracket, and flush and inspect the transmission (and repair any other damaged items, like if the internal tranny speed sensor was damaged, etc). if it happens again, you get a new torque converter. of the 3 other cars that the dealer saw with this problem, only 1 came back a second time with the issue and needed a new converter.

they had my car for 2 or 3 days, IIRC.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganpat View Post
my 2011 did something similar last year. What it turned out to be was a broken support bracket for the valve body. what happens is sometimes when the torque converter clutch breaks/beds in, it creates some debris, which can cause valves in the valve body to stick....they stick until enough pressure builds to release them, and that violent release can break this support bracket. it's not a common problem, but it is a known one. the tranny guy at the dealer knew exactly what it was when I brought it in before they even did the diagnostics/visual inspection, and the bracket needed was on national backorder, but they were able to get one through a transmission rebuilder that apparently buys all of chrysler's stock of this part when they become available.
Do you know if they replaced the valve body as well when they did the service? The dealers parts dept says sometimes they come with the bracket when they order the valve body sometimes they don't. They say there gonna have to wait til it gets into see.
They were not familiar with this problem at all that's why they called dodge directly. Hopefully someone over there knows what they are talking about lol.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Do you know if they replaced the valve body as well when they did the service? The dealers parts dept says sometimes they come with the bracket when they order the valve body sometimes they don't. They say there gonna have to wait til it gets into see.
They were not familiar with this problem at all that's why they called dodge directly. Hopefully someone over there knows what they are talking about lol.
AFAIK no, they just did a full transmission flush. sounds like there's actual warranty service procedures for the specific problem I had written up by corporate, and replacing the VB isn't part of it.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganpat View Post
AFAIK no, they just did a full transmission flush. sounds like there's actual warranty service procedures for the specific problem I had written up by corporate, and replacing the VB isn't part of it.
Well I'm hoping they don't take it apart and notice the bracket is broken and have to hold it up to order that in as well. Unless the VB assembly comes with the bracket.
Maybe due to the check engine light code there is a different service procedure who knows...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Models (2011 - Up) > Charger Problems/Assistance (2011 +)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.