Rent Your Charger for $250? - Dodge Charger Forums
General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

#1 Old 02-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Cuda340

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rent Your Charger for $250?

Chrysler is randomly soliciting Chargers to perform mandated emissions tests. Your car will be picked up and tested on a dyno for 80 miles, over a 30-day span. For all this, Dodge will give you $250! You can't even buy a MOPAR CAI for that!!

Any takers?

Here are the testing details:

Emissions Test Program using Customer-Owned Chrysler Vehicles

The Federal government’s Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), as well as the California Air Resources Board (CARB), require vehicle manufacturers to perform emissions tests on customer owned and operated vehicles that are 1-2 years old (between 10,000-50,000 miles) and 3-4 years old (over 50,000 miles) to verify the long term robustness of their exhaust emissions systems. This required test program is called the In-Use Verification Program (IUVP).

Chrysler works with Roush Industries and Automotive Testing & Development Services (ATDS) to procure and test customer-owned vehicles for IUVP emissions testing.

The government has guidelines on how to do an IUVP program that all the automotive companies must adhere to. Below is a summary of the Chrysler process:

1) Chrysler downloads mail lists containing the owners for each engine/vehicle test group near a test facility, then using a random number generator, assigns random numbers to each. Roush or ATDS sends mailings to the customers with the lowest random numbers.

2) Roush or ATDS collects the customer reply information and sends it to Chrysler, who then determines their eligibility and the order in which to call the replying customers for procurement, based on their random numbers.

3) Roush or ATDS contacts the customers and goes through a telephone questionnaire (if applicable), arranges for their rental vehicles, and sets up the pickup location, date and time with each customer. Note: Vehicles must be tested in as-is condition. Therefore, if there is a safety issue with a vehicle, it is usually rejected from the program.

4) Roush or ATDS meets with the customer at the appointed time and location, inspects their vehicle, and transports the vehicle to the test site. The customer is provided a rental vehicle with a full tank of gas.

5) There are currently four locations at which Chrysler IUVP emissions testing is performed:
Chrysler Chelsea Proving Grounds (CPG), in Chelsea, Michigan
Chrysler Technology Center (CTC), in Auburn Hills, Michigan
Environmental Testing Corporation (ETC), in Aurora, Colorado
Automotive Testing & Development Services, Inc. (ATDS), in Ontario, California
Note: For customer-owned vehicles in the California area, some are emissions tested right at the ATDS facility in California and others are procured by ATDS, then shipped to the Chrysler Proving Grounds in Chelsea, Michigan for testing, then shipped back to California when done. If customer vehicles are shipped, they are shipped in an enclosed car hauler (looks like a semi-truck with sides and a roof to protect the vehicle).

6) Emissions testing consists of prepping the vehicle, securing it on a dynamometer and connecting an exhaust gas analyzer to the tailpipe. The vehicle’s tires rotate on the dynamometer rollers as the vehicle is “driven”, simulating both city and highway driving.

7) Some vehicles are also selected for passive evaporative emissions testing (ex. tires and plastics give off small amounts of various gases). These vehicles are put into a sealed room for 2 days, while the air quality is periodically monitored. They are also ORVR tested (On-board Refueling Vapor Recovery). For this test, the vehicle is in a different type of sealed room, where the air quality is continuously monitored while the fuel tank is being filled. This tests how well the canister in the vehicle prevents gasoline fumes from escaping into the atmosphere when refueling the vehicle.

8) Once all testing is completed, the vehicle is picked up by Roush or ATDS, who cleans it and fills the gas tank, then returns it to the customer and picks up the rental vehicle. An incentive check is given to the customer at that time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 AM
3996 Daytona

I'm guessing modified cars would not be accepted under the safe to operate clause...

3996 of 4000 Go Man-Go Still bling-free (not counting the Wilwood brakes)
BT Catch can - SLP underdrive - PPP Stage II heads - BBK Headers - 268 Compcam - Jet 180 T-stat - Wilwood Brakes - BB Stage II VB - MDS Delete - Custom Tune by Johan
#3 Old 02-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Part Deux
Super Moderator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've never heard of an OEM using end customer cars. There are plenty of employee lease cars available to do the tests on.

Did you know that - Thread
How do I everything - Thread

aka THO.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Stoned Charger View Post
I have a name for the 3 new mods...............Druken Purple Pirates!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona606 View Post
American Muscle, like a pit bull. Big but not large, well defined, explosive power, in it till the end. The cat will give it go and zig and zag, but in the end the pit bull will always catch the cat – the outcome is never good for the cat.
#4 Old 02-20-2013, 05:36 PM
MegaDoomer

$250 for 30 days?!?! F@&$ That!
#5 Old 02-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Shots

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
$250 for 80 miles on the odometer? Yeah, I'd do it. So what if they have it for 30 days, they give you a loaner, and they clean/fill your car when they're done. If they send me a letter, I'll let them use mine. Assuming of course it's shipped, not driven to Michigan for the test. They're claiming 80 miles not several hundred.

Shots: 2014 Granite Crystal Metallic RT
Mods: Rear window louvers / Rear spoiler / Black grille / chin spoiler / LED fog lights / Window tint 50/20 / Sunrise red calipers / Tinted tails
.........................buzzed driving, IS drunk driving
#6 Old 02-20-2013, 06:47 PM
POTTER

Re: Rent Your Charger for $250?

Give someone my baby for 30 days??? I dont think so

- Sent from a phone booth in 1985 -

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Real Name is Chris
2006 SRT8 *** Options I, II, III *** AEF CAI *** Zoomers *** Various Custom touches *** Plasti Dipped Body and Wheels *** Attitude from MOPAR
#7 Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Cuts2TheBone

Not a chance in hell. Trust people with taking care of my ride for 30 days? I don't even trust a dealer for 30 minutes alone with my car.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChargerSRT392?feature=mhee
Always looking for a good run
2012 Charger SRT8 Blue Streak Pearl
12.53@ 110! Stock
Goal - Low 11s with just a Procharger..no DRs.
2009 Tored Charger SRT8 - Gone but not forgotten.
#8 Old 02-21-2013, 08:36 AM
WhiteChargersrt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuts2TheBone View Post
Not a chance in hell. Trust people with taking care of my ride for 30 days? I don't even trust a dealer for 30 minutes alone with my car.
LOL I know what you mean.
#9 Old 02-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Yuro

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
250 bux and a rental, and a reason for you to take your car to the dealership after... lol jk... hope soo..... pffft i wouldnt do it unless it was one of my 3 chargers... but i only have one... soooo no... unless they wanna fix my bumper then ok here u go take it ill see my baby in a month!!!

TorRed or NoRed!
"WTFO" Sponsored
WTFO weaponry:
Strut Bar V 2.1
"Being a good fiend is like being a photographer, you have to search for the right moment!"
#10 Old 02-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Fudge
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Send a message via AIM to Fudge
Well I'm gonna go with NO!
I'm not giving my car to some guys in a lab, for 30 days!

~2013 Mustang GT (Deep Impact Blue)
-2009 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona 364/400 (SOLD ... and missed)

http://www.youtube.com/user/StoneWhiteDaytona

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List