Join Date: May 2012
Location: Deployed in Afghanistan
|Charger SRT-8 Discussion This area is for discussion involving the SRT-8 version of the Dodge Charger.|
||Thread Tools||Search this Thread||Display Modes|
Thanks rsoto80. I think it's kind of amusing that I'm 6,000 miles away defending SVRSRTCDN's right to use horrible grammar and misspell so many words and chastise my situation, but guess that's just the type of person he is!
We are all very grateful for your service to our country. Sorry you are having problems with your car! SVRSRTCDN is from Canada by the way.
Anyway, let's clear a few things up...
To answer SVRSRTCDN's questions:
10,000 between oil changes. questionable move 1
- It is very common to go 10,000 miles on 7 quarts of synthetic 0w-40 oil. Not sure which engine you have, but everything I've read says you can go 10-15K miles between oil changes with that type of oil.
The reputation of Mobil 1 is much better than it actually functions. Since ILSAC GF3,GF4, and GF5, they have reduced actual viscosity and protection additives in the oil. NEVER good to go over 4-5k max with these oils! I have a lot of oil samples from Mobil 1 with bad results even at 5k
Oil change at Firestone. questionable move 2
- This is one of the only places where we're stationed that has 0w-40 oil and will do it at a decent price. If I was home instead of saving lives on the battlefield, I'd do it myself, but I don't have that luxury. So my pregnant wife has to do what she has to do while I'm gone. By the way...I won't be able to make it home to see my first child, a daughter, be born...so keep that in mind when you're sitting AT HOME and trying to rub in how stupid my wife and I are with this situation.
Being so far away is a tough thing and dealing with a problem like this is not easy. I do question what Firestone did but it may be a correlation to the noise but not necessarily a causation in this instance.
Sound after they chage oil but lets them get away with it. questionable move 3
- She went back to them and they wouldn't touch the car again, so she took it to another mechanic, and their advice was to add the oil treatment since the car was over 100,000 miles. This stopped the sound, so we figured maybe that mechanic was correct.
The addition of Lucas is a chemical called Polyiso-butylene or PIB. After 2-3 days of running this material, it completely breaks down and has no longterm good effect to the oils. This is the same as motorhoney or STP for that matter. Not a good choice regardless of what the mechanic shop told her to do. By the way, I am saying this because I am a Tribologist and make and design lubricants for a living.
Adds lucas oil treatment to stop a noise that need investigating right away. #4
- As I said in your 3rd "questionable move", this was done on the advice of a mechanic.
As stated above. There are much better ways of dealing with this than Lucas.
Waits a few months with the driving with the noise asking for non specific advice. #5
- The noise was gone for a while, and once it came back, that is when she took it to the dealership. The noise wasn't going on for months.
Now...rsoto80...to answer your questions.
Has the sound gotten worse? - the sound has not gotten any worse, been the same. I have the video now, but can't upload it to the site for some reason. Our internet here is pretty horrible, so probably don't have a good enough connection.
Any oil consumption?- Nothing out of the ordinary. Had an additional oil change when the sound came back (done at a different location than Firestone) but no leaking or low oil or anything.
is there a significant loss in power? - She hasn't said anything about loss of power, but obviously I'm not there to drive it to see?
Blue smoke coming from exhaust?- she said there is no smoke coming from the exhaust.
The car is back in our garage now and we're waiting to hear on Monday what kind of money we're looking at for a new or rebuilt engine. I'm going to try and get that video uploaded so you can hear the noise, but no promises.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Rod bearing failing, maybe? help||PlumCrazyDaytona||Performance Discussion/Modifications||7||10-05-2011 02:24 PM|
|LOL-My daydreaming leads to embarrassment||rali2000||Charger Chat Lounge||0||07-16-2009 08:13 AM|
|I think I threw a rod bearing...||svrds10||V6 Specific Discussion||28||08-27-2008 12:40 AM|
|Possible hub and bearing?||FurBurger||Charger Problems/Assistance||5||03-18-2008 09:20 PM|
|hub and bearing gone||Krypt Keeper||Charger Problems/Assistance||7||03-09-2008 10:38 AM|