Join Date: May 2012
Location: Deployed in Afghanistan
Thanks rsoto80. I think it's kind of amusing that I'm 6,000 miles away defending SVRSRTCDN's right to use horrible grammar and misspell so many words and chastise my situation, but guess that's just the type of person he is!
Anyway, let's clear a few things up...
To answer SVRSRTCDN's questions:
10,000 between oil changes. questionable move 1
- It is very common to go 10,000 miles on 7 quarts of synthetic 0w-40 oil. Not sure which engine you have, but everything I've read says you can go 10-15K miles between oil changes with that type of oil.
Oil change at Firestone. questionable move 2
- This is one of the only places where we're stationed that has 0w-40 oil and will do it at a decent price. If I was home instead of saving lives on the battlefield, I'd do it myself, but I don't have that luxury. So my pregnant wife has to do what she has to do while I'm gone. By the way...I won't be able to make it home to see my first child, a daughter, be born...so keep that in mind when you're sitting AT HOME and trying to rub in how stupid my wife and I are with this situation.
Sound after they chage oil but lets them get away with it. questionable move 3
- She went back to them and they wouldn't touch the car again, so she took it to another mechanic, and their advice was to add the oil treatment since the car was over 100,000 miles. This stopped the sound, so we figured maybe that mechanic was correct.
Adds lucas oil treatment to stop a noise that need investigating right away. #4
- As I said in your 3rd "questionable move", this was done on the advice of a mechanic.
Waits a few months with the driving with the noise asking for non specific advice. #5
- The noise was gone for a while, and once it came back, that is when she took it to the dealership. The noise wasn't going on for months.
Now...rsoto80...to answer your questions.
Has the sound gotten worse? - the sound has not gotten any worse, been the same. I have the video now, but can't upload it to the site for some reason. Our internet here is pretty horrible, so probably don't have a good enough connection.
Any oil consumption?- Nothing out of the ordinary. Had an additional oil change when the sound came back (done at a different location than Firestone) but no leaking or low oil or anything.
is there a significant loss in power? - She hasn't said anything about loss of power, but obviously I'm not there to drive it to see?
Blue smoke coming from exhaust?- she said there is no smoke coming from the exhaust.
The car is back in our garage now and we're waiting to hear on Monday what kind of money we're looking at for a new or rebuilt engine. I'm going to try and get that video uploaded so you can hear the noise, but no promises.