I screwed up, didn't I? - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications

Exterior Discussion/Modifications Discussion of exterior modifications belongs in this section, even if the visual modification slightly affects performance (ie. spoilers, etc)

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:17 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot Infinity
Thumbs down I screwed up, didn't I?

I recently blacked out the trunk. It took my cousin and I around 2 hours to complete, with cleaning the surface and squeegeeing the crap out of it to get -most- of the air bubbles out (there are still a few small ones here and there).

That being said, I had to put my R/T emblem back on. I got some 3M Emblem Adhesive and applied it to the back of the emblem. I think I put a bit too much on the R and since the adhesive dried way too fast, there's now a splotch of goo around the R and a bit around the /. I know that if I try to pick it away, it'll just pull the vinyl off with it. I'm guessing there's no way to fix this... is there?

2008 Dodge Charger R/T w/R&T
Instagram: @patriotinfinity for pictures of my Charger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 08:23 AM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2008 Charger SXT
Send a message via AIM to Stumblin Steve
Unfortunately no. If you try my bet is it'll ruin the vinyl and you'll have to reapply a new vinyl to your trunk.

Sorry man that sucks
Join the Photoshop/Artist Group! Silver Chargers!!! & Virginia Chargers
Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Yep, fubar. Next time use the 3M double sided molding tape. It's what the factory used on the emblems originally. Clean the old stuff off the emblem and apply the tape, trim the edges and peel the backing off and stick on the car.

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)
QuantumBlue Custom Blended Oil (Yeah, it's that good)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
Old 01-28-2013, 11:04 AM

To get those ugly bubbles out use a fine needle and pop each one near its center then re squeege each. Don't pop too deep and hit the paint hard though.

450RWHP/432TQ
Old 01-28-2013, 12:16 PM

time for a do-over
honeycomb grille insert - rear spoiler - 20% tint - daytona chrome 20's - daytona rear diffuser - HID 8000k lows and fogs - front and rear blinker mod - custom exhaust w/4"tips - painted calipers - SRT fascia - daytona chin spoiler - blacked out grille - blacked out daytona 18's - diablo custom tune by Johan - full red LED conversion - BCR coilovers
Old 01-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

At least next time it'll be easier since you have already done the project once.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot Infinity
That's definitely not what I wanted to hear. I just ordered some of 3M's automotive double backing tape. I wish I knew about that beforehand. Looks like I'm going to have to buy another vinyl trunk black out and redo the entire thing.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Infinity View Post
That's definitely not what I wanted to hear. I just ordered some of 3M's automotive double backing tape. I wish I knew about that beforehand. Looks like I'm going to have to buy another vinyl trunk black out and redo the entire thing.
It's Called learning, happens every once in a while so don't sweat it.
2006 Torred Daytona # 1988 Tunable 2-3/4 Exhaust,Remote 996XT GPS Scanner, SRT Wheels/Legmaker modded, BC Racing Coilovers, Demon Eyes Front/Rear, Silverstars, V-1 Hardwired, SRT Brakes, RK Sport Hood. PaddleShifters, '09 MYGIG. I still open the car door for my Wife, so she doesn't scratch the paint with her nails! You can learn a lot watching Counting Cars and American Restoration, but not about Chargers. For that we have this forum.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 PM

If your going to redo it anyways you shouldn't care if you ruin it. Try using a cotton swab and some GooGone and see if it takes it away. Don't apply directly to the vinyl because it could melt it. But you can do small amounts with a cotton swab.

Also, why not spray it with PD? It should be just as easy as with vinyl but its $8.

2006 Charger R/T
- Carbon Fiber LMI Hammer Intake - Boss 22's - Blastin' Bobs 7db Reso Delete - Tranzformer Shift Kit - K&N CAI - DiabloSport - inTune CAI Tune - BT Catch Can - Tinted Marker's - 10000K HID - Halo & LED Headlights - CF Vinyl Dash & Door Pillar Overlay
Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 PM

^^ I was gonna suggest a spray too, but more of a gun app than a can. I used SEM's Landau Top spray to lay down a vinyl look decal on my RK Sport hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.