Super Track Pack Tire Question - Dodge Charger Forums
General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

#1 Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 PM
mblock66

(Thread Starter)
Super Track Pack Tire Question

Hey everyone. I am a few weeks away from getting my 2013 Road and Track with Super Track Pack. I know the regular R&T comes with Firestone Firehawk GT 245/45R20 and the STP deletes those in favor of Eagle F1 Supercars in the same size.

Being in NJ I was a little nervous of getting the F1's so some of you recommended I ask the dealer to swap the F1's with the All Seasons. Well at first they said ok, now they are telling me I would have to pay for the tires and they would give me $375 credit for the F1's. And the prices they are coming up with for the Firestone, Continentals, or Generals are like $50 MORE per tire then tire rack.

So then they told me their department is very concerned that this buyer (me) wants to put the all seasons on the STP. The car isn't meant for that and their could be major stability problems with the car if I were to "deviate" from the F1's. That is why they specifically come with that option.

Now I am not a newbie and have always driven ultra high all seasons on my cars. Just for the sake of better bad weather management. But is there any truth to this at all? STP is just thicker sways and monotube shocks. It should be perfectly fine to run ultra high performance on that right? Slightly less performance but increased bad weather traction.

Thoughts? Why would the dealer service area be "so concerned"

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-25-2013, 02:38 PM
WTFO09R/T

Dealers are full of **** and will charge you anything extra they can. You would probably come out better buying the tires yourself and selling the f1s.

Name is brad
All GO FAST and NO SHOW
Bolted, Geared, and Bottle Fed

"If one day speed kills me, do not cry because I died smiling"
#3 Old 01-25-2013, 02:42 PM
GLHS837
Super Moderator

Just because they are ignorant. Or being purposely obtuse. Jebus christmas, the SRT-8s have an all season option that are rated to 174 or so. If those tires wont destabilize the SRT, it certainly wont affect your car in a negative way. And $375 for all four F-1s? Thats insane for tires with less than 20 miles on them. They would turn around and sell them so someone wanting to upgrade for $200 each and make a nice profit that way. You would be much better served just getting the car from them as is, selling your stock tires on Craigslist for $150 each. Thats a good deal, considering the buyer will be paying no sales tax or shipping. Get your new tires from there, although I would shop another brand besides the stock all-seasons. A lot of folks here have sung the praises of the General GS03

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

"For a mechanic, you seem to do an excessive amount of thinking."
―C-3PO, to R2-D2
#4 Old 01-25-2013, 05:02 PM
IndyStealth

Send a message via AIM to IndyStealth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblock66 View Post
Hey everyone. I am a few weeks away from getting my 2013 Road and Track with Super Track Pack. I know the regular R&T comes with Firestone Firehawk GT 245/45R20 and the STP deletes those in favor of Eagle F1 Supercars in the same size.
Smart move requesting some all-season tires, but the dealer is trying to screw you.

The Eagle F1 Supercars are great tires, but they get slick in cold weather, even without any snow or ice on the road. They are worthless in snow.

My suggestion, which is what I ended up doing myself: get yourself a set of winter wheels. If you can spring for it now, this will pay off in the long run. Keep the 20" wheels and tires mounted, but take them off the car. Buy some 18" wheels for the winter months. 18" all-season or winter-only tires get a lot cheaper than 20" tires, and you can get them in the same speed ratings.

Look on eBay for a set of nearly-new take-offs from a Charger R/T or Challenger R/T. I paid $1000 shipped for new Challenger R/T wheels, with all-season Michelins and TPMS installed. Wheel shops will often put custom wheels on a brand-new car, then keep the OEM wheels and sell them on eBay.

If you go this route, you will want to get the TPMS sensors that work with a 2013 computer, and you will have to get them mated to your car (each sensor has its own serial number that the car reads -- a dealer or a tire shop can do this). If you don't get new TPMS sensors, then you need to either swap in the ones from your wheels (and pay for the labor), or deal with the "low tire pressure" idiot light and EVIC messages.

My 20" wheels with F1 Supercar tires are sitting in the garage, ready for springtime.

Oh, and I really don't feel much performance difference with the 18" wheels vs. the 20" wheels. They aren't as sticky, but the OEM Michelin tires are V-rated.

2014 Dodge Charger R/T R&T STP

MoPar11 Pics (traded on Plum Crazy)
2008 Daytona Pics (traded on MoPar11)
Stealth Pics (when the Charger isn't feeling fast enough)
#5 Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 PM
mblock66

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will take a look on ebay for something. I am not even sure what exactly to look for but I guess OEM Charger RT Rims. I was looking at rims on tire rack but I do'nt know what offset fits on these. I have never understood offsets and all that. So I get nervous about ordering rims since I don't know if they will fit.

Would these work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-18-Factory...10032c&vxp=mtr

and would these be the recommended winters?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....R/T&tab=Survey

Last edited by mblock66; 01-25-2013 at 06:11 PM.
#6 Old 01-25-2013, 08:16 PM
GTO_04

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will take a look on ebay for something. I am not even sure what exactly to look for but I guess OEM Charger RT Rims. I was looking at rims on tire rack but I do'nt know what offset fits on these. I have never understood offsets and all that. So I get nervous about ordering rims since I don't know if they will fit.

Would these work?

I am running the Blizzak DM-V1 on my 2012 R/T and they are awesome on snow and ice. They are fine on wet and dry road surfaces as well. They are the best winter tire I have owned by far!

You can search for wheels on tirerack by vehicle. I ordered the 18" steelies from Moparsupercenter.com for about $93 each.

GTO_04

2012 Dodge Charger R/T Tungsten
2006 Pontiac GTO Impulse Blue

Last edited by GTO_04; 01-25-2013 at 08:19 PM.
#7 Old 01-25-2013, 08:37 PM
IndyStealth

Send a message via AIM to IndyStealth
Quote:

Would these work?

Those are the exact wheels I have on my car for the winter, yes. They came from a Challenger R/T, and seem to be the most plentiful on eBay, hence the cheapest option.

Blizzaks are awesome tires for winter. You will pay more this way, though -- shipping, mount & balance.

If you want an all-season package that will save some money, search eBay for "Charger RT 18 wheels tires" and set your price range to $50 and up. Make sure the wheels you get are 18" (or even 20") and came from a Charger R/T or Challenger R/T, and you're good. 17" SE model wheels won't fit over your bigger R/T brakes.

Also, I would avoid chrome for winter wheels. They will corrode in the salt.

Check these out. Same wheels, with tires installed. These wouldn't have TPMS installed, but they would bolt right on to your car otherwise.
#8 Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Ddaddy
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyStealth View Post
Your Avatar looks familiar...

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
#9 Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 PM
mblock66

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyStealth View Post
Those are the exact wheels I have on my car for the winter, yes. They came from a Challenger R/T, and seem to be the most plentiful on eBay, hence the cheapest option.

Blizzaks are awesome tires for winter. You will pay more this way, though -- shipping, mount & balance.

If you want an all-season package that will save some money, search eBay for "Charger RT 18 wheels tires" and set your price range to $50 and up. Make sure the wheels you get are 18" (or even 20") and came from a Charger R/T or Challenger R/T, and you're good. 17" SE model wheels won't fit over your bigger R/T brakes.

Also, I would avoid chrome for winter wheels. They will corrode in the salt.

Check these out. Same wheels, with tires installed. These wouldn't have TPMS installed, but they would bolt right on to your car otherwise.

But if I buy those with the tires on them, TPS is one issue, and the other is that they aren't winter tires. So isn't it kinda pointless? I would buy them to mount dedicated winters, otherwise I can run the F1's
#10 Old 01-26-2013, 10:06 PM
blackRTnTN

Dealer is full of BS. Yes, the F1s are going to give the ultimate in grip, but if you stick with with the same size and type of tire(UHP or HP) there should be no issues in stability.

2012 Charger R/T Max. Black on Black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List