"Battery Saver Mode"...??? - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

#1 Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Elmer Fudd

(Thread Starter)
"Battery Saver Mode"...???

At least a week ago I noticed this email like icon on the information display. I thought it had to do with the Bluetooth or something. I finally figured out it was a message that reads "Battery Saver Mode".

It will not clear, been on constantly at least a week and a few hundred miles - no symptoms. Battery seems strong...cranks right up even when 30 degrees...

Ill show the dealer soon when I get the two new front wheels.....any hints as to what this is?? One of the few things these cars seem to lack is an ammeter...

Elmer

2013 Charger RT
2011 GMC Terrain SLT
2005 GMC Yukon
2003 GMC Sierra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 PM
lg68jcu

I was going to post this same subject. It's been 0-10 degrees for a few days and I have been using the remote start more. Like you the one day I had a message and sure enough it was the battery saver mode. I did just get the message once this was 2 nights ago. I did not get it today. My guess is its just minimizing power so the battery can recharge quicker with the alternator due to extra drain on the battery. Just taking a guess here

I have a 2013 AWD RT

Last edited by lg68jcu; 01-23-2013 at 08:58 PM.
#3 Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Elmer Fudd

(Thread Starter)
lg, I'm betting that this is some fancy computer controlled setting that is glitchy...

Think about it....370 hp and Dodge couldn't simply put a bigger alternator on the car??

But I have been using the remote start a lot. And on another forum I noticed folks tying the remote start to this message. I'll not use the remote a few days and see if it clears.....
#4 Old 01-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Ddaddy
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
The message is due to low battery voltage. The link to remote start seems coincindental since it's usually only employed in very cold weather.

The root cause appears to be a bad alternator (factory defective) that isn't charging the system properly. Several have fried and at least one customer had it catch fire.

The system is designed to reserve enough power to start the vehicle and doesn't let you run the ancillary systems and draw the voltage down below an acceptable "start" charge. The issue appears to be that the system isn't recharging the battery enough and the "battery saver" program is kicking in.

Now that it's cold enough to expose this issue, expect a TSB from Chrysler soon.

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph

Last edited by Ddaddy; 01-23-2013 at 09:56 PM.
#5 Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Elmer Fudd

(Thread Starter)
DDaddy that makes sense....

Now that you explain it that way, it does seem like sometimes the seat heaters are very slow to work and other times they fire right up......that could be the system activating....

I will be at the dealer in a few days anyway getting 2 new wheels, they can check the alt.

thanks much
#6 Old 01-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Elmer Fudd

(Thread Starter)
UPdate

Dealer checked system......bad alternator.....ordered a new one.
#7 Old 01-31-2013, 06:52 AM
Fudge

Send a message via AIM to Fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddy View Post
Several have fried and at least one customer had it catch fire.
Now does this make the car more "interesting" to drive knowing it may spontaneously combust on you?

But on a more serious note..... this battery saver mode is this only on the new chargers or do the older styles have it also?

~2013 Mustang GT (Deep Impact Blue)
-2009 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona 364/400 (SOLD ... and missed)

http://www.youtube.com/user/StoneWhiteDaytona

#8 Old 01-31-2013, 12:02 PM
lg68jcu

Yikes! Looks like I might be taking her in to get a new alternator. Thanks for the posts and info.
#9 Old 01-31-2013, 06:08 PM
zoomzoom1

OLder Gens don't have this option......

2006 Top Banana #3033-4000..Arrington Heads and Crazy Spartan Cam..LSA114.Mopar CAI, Mopar LT's w/Hi-flo's ..Mopar/Borla 125 Cat-bac.Custom Dyno-tuned by Brent at DTP Racing..370rwhp..380rwtqe..QB oil..Aces Fuel..P/S additive. VMP 13.491@103.48 2.055 60'
2006 INFERNO RED SRT8..Mopar CAI 180stat..Custom Tuned by BRENT at DTP..402rwhp..398rwtqe
NUFF SAID
http://www.hr-mopar.com/...http://www.midatlanticmodernmopars.com
Roanoke Valley Mopar Club/Classic and Modern Mopars...http://www.roanokevalleymoparclub.webs.com
#10 Old 01-31-2013, 08:24 PM
Fudge

Send a message via AIM to Fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom1 View Post
OLder Gens don't have this option......
O ok, thought this seems like good idea, makes the car more idiot proof for the general driver.....if they pay attention to the dash lights!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List