2013 Charger Exhaust - Dodge Charger Forums
Performance Discussion/Modifications Discuss any performance modification in this section.

#1 Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 PM
cwright

(Thread Starter)
2013 R/T Charger Exhaust

I just bought a 13' RT and was thinking about upgrading the mufflers to something with a little more rumble. I currently have a Mercury Marauder with Magnaflows. I really like the sound but for highway it does have drone. I would like to have something on the Charger that would sound good but lose the drone at cruising speeds. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I appreciate the help.

Last edited by cwright; 01-22-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-22-2013, 07:07 PM
michiganpat

first try cutting out the stock mid-mufflers and replace with straight pipe while keeping the resonators

if you still don't like it, get some dynomax VT's and put them where the mid-mufflers were, and remove the stock resonators

'11 Toxic Orange Charger R/T
'06 Dodge Grand Caravan
'76 Plymouth Duster
#3 Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 PM
cwright

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganpat View Post
first try cutting out the stock mid-mufflers and replace with straight pipe while keeping the resonators

if you still don't like it, get some dynomax VT's and put them where the mid-mufflers were, and remove the stock resonators
Thanks for the information. I will start here.
#4 Old 01-23-2013, 01:10 PM
mblock66

I am in the same boat as you are ....errrr car I guess lol! I am awaiting arrival of my 2013 RT Road and Track. I will be looking into intake, exhaust and programmer in the first year of ownership.

Intake I have sorted out but I have been listening to a lot of the cat back systems on youtube. I had flowmaster american thunder on my 1997 Z28 and they were so bad @ss but had a lot of drone. I am currently looking for opinions on people that have gone with the flowmaster Force II setup which should be a little more civil. I suggest that you take a listen to which systems you like.

I have also read somewhere that the Mopar Cat Back is a borla unit. But I can't confirm. Sometimes by the time you go through cutting up your whole stock system it will cost as much as an aftermarket. But just my 2 cents.

The really cheap way to make a car rumble more is to loosen up the pipe to muffler flange, take out the gasket and re-tighten. This is more or less an exhaust leak but it should increase the rumble a good bit since some of the sound is no longer traveling through the muffler. Its totally free and takes about 10 min and a socket wrench to do. Lots of subaru guys did this "mod" just to spice up the exhaust note without buying exhaust parts
#5 Old 01-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Aetherfury

I was going to cut off the mufflers in the middle but two different shops were going to charge me ~$125 to do it with non stainless steel pipes so I ended up getting a flowmaster cat-back.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...d.php?t=161417

I like the sound and there is no drone, I'm really glad I didn't get a louder setup since it's pretty much as loud as I would want it since I'm old and boring now
#6 Old 01-23-2013, 02:21 PM
michiganpat

2010 down is borla, 2011 MP exhaust is a rebranded corsa sport.

be patient, my charger has gotten notably louder (though still not loud) with the stock exhaust after 11k miles. has a nice roar at WOT.....

if I were to go to a cat back, personally I'd look at the Solo Performance one
#7 Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM
lg68jcu

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganpat View Post

Am I missing something???? Maybe I am but I dont recall seeing any resonators on the 2013 AWD R/T. Just strait pipes leading into the X pipe and then strait pipes after the X pipe leading into the rear mufflers (Ones located under the rear seats). I could be wrong but I think thats all I got. Maybe Its cause I have the AWD and the exhaust is a little different. Donno..

I am a big fan of Dynomax mufflers. The VT's are fantastic from what I have heard / read. I had the Super Turbos on my G8. Arguably the best flowing "quiet" performance mufflers out there for the money. No such thing as a quiet performance muffler but its definitly tame. even though the decibles are low you still hear the motor allot more a nice step up from stock. They flow almost as good as strait pipes without mufflers.
#8 Old 01-24-2013, 12:14 PM
sal jc

they all have the resonators in the back.
i just got the Dynomax Super Turbo Stainless Steel Cat-Back
had the same one on my '93 Mustang and it sounded great but not too ridiculous. Haven't gotten a chance to install yet.. too cold

It was between that and the Flowmaster Force II but couldn't beet the price on the dynomax. $296 w free shipping on amazon
#9 Old 01-24-2013, 12:14 PM
michiganpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg68jcu View Post
Am I missing something???? Maybe I am but I dont recall seeing any resonators on the 2013 AWD R/T. Just strait pipes leading into the X pipe and then strait pipes after the X pipe leading into the rear mufflers (Ones located under the rear seats). I could be wrong but I think thats all I got. Maybe Its cause I have the AWD and the exhaust is a little different. Donno..

I am a big fan of Dynomax mufflers. The VT's are fantastic from what I have heard / read. I had the Super Turbos on my G8. Arguably the best flowing "quiet" performance mufflers out there for the money. No such thing as a quiet performance muffler but its definitly tame. even though the decibles are low you still hear the motor allot more a nice step up from stock. They flow almost as good as strait pipes without mufflers.
stock on 2011+ R/T's, there's 2 oval mufflers behind the X pipe, approximately under the rear passenger footwell, and then resonators under the rear bumper
#10 Old 01-24-2013, 02:14 PM
michiganpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal jc View Post
they all have the resonators in the back.
i just got the Dynomax Super Turbo Stainless Steel Cat-Back
had the same one on my '93 Mustang and it sounded great but not too ridiculous. Haven't gotten a chance to install yet.. too cold

It was between that and the Flowmaster Force II but couldn't beet the price on the dynomax. $296 w free shipping on amazon
holy crap, that's cheap....would be even better if it came with the full SS VT mufflers...please post pics, sound clips and impressions after you've got it on....only downer is the mufflers are aluminized cases...if you drive it in the rustbelt, expect to need to replace them after about 5-6 years.

dynomax is good about warranty replacement, too...had a 17769 muffler on my old 5th ave that rusted through and split the case, got a new one for free from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List