Predator tuning - Is it adaptive? - Dodge Charger Forums
V6 Specific Discussion This area is for discussion about V6 powered Dodge Chargers.

#1 Old 01-20-2013, 11:23 PM
shadydecepticon

(Thread Starter)
Question Predator tuning - Is it adaptive?

Quick question for Predator users. I know our car's engines learn from our driving habits and change the way it runs slightly. Confirmed this by disconnecting the battery before I even had the tuner. It was like night and day the first couple days.
My question is, is the tune installed by the Predator adaptive as well?

2010 Dark Titanium Metallic SXT - Decepticon Edition
GoMods::True dual Flowmaster Super 44 exhaust, true cold air intake, & Diablosport Predator 93 octane tuned
ShowMods: JVC Headunit w/ Kicker sub; DDM tuning 5000k HID Lows & fogs; 2008 Taillight housing swap w/ Flashtech halos; Flashtech RGB grill lights; All Oracle LED interior w/ green floorwells; Webelectric sequential taillights; Debadged & retro rebadged; Custom Billet nose emblem; Mopar SRT diffuser/front spoiler/honeycomb grill/hood struts; Weathertech floormats; Putco visors; That's just to name a few...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-21-2013, 05:22 AM
Stubbs1911

If I understand your question correctly, yes.

After you install the tune, your car will still go through the adaptive process, it just uses your new tune as the baseline instead of the factory tune. I know I go through and refresh my tune every couple of months due to the ridiculous stop and start in this area, drive it like a raped ape for the first week or so after a tune and it seems to hold the settings longer.

GoMods: AirRaid CAI, Jet 180 TStat, Billet Tech Catch Can, Predator 93 Octane CAI tune, Flowmaster Super 10's with Reso Delete

ShowMods: Tinted Tails, Tinted Side Markers, Demoulded, 5 LED Halo Projector Headlights, Satin Black Staggerd 20" Vipers

The Stable
#3 Old 01-21-2013, 11:50 AM
shadydecepticon

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs1911 View Post
After you install the tune, your car will still go through the adaptive process, it just uses your new tune as the baseline instead of the factory tune. I know I go through and refresh my tune every couple of months due to the ridiculous stop and start in this area, drive it like a raped ape for the first week or so after a tune and it seems to hold the settings longer.
I knew I wasn't going crazy! That is so annoying but I'm glad I know for sure now. I'm going to reset mine again today.
Thank you!
#4 Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 PM
shadydecepticon

(Thread Starter)
Anybody know of a way to stop it from happening??
#5 Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 PM
torred 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadydecepticon View Post
Anybody know of a way to stop it from happening??
keep your right foot planted to the floor

2008 Dodge// Charger SE Plus 3.5
TORRED exterior. Mods: too many to list.

Charger bought new, 10 minutes from Chrysler headquarters on December 30, 2008.
#6 Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 PM
shadydecepticon

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torred 3.5 View Post
keep your right foot planted to the floor
Heard that!
If gas goes down, maybe I'll go with that...
#7 Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 PM
torred 3.5

Quote:
Heard that!
If gas goes down, maybe I'll go with that...
MPG goes down the pooper when you get on the 3.5. But it's fun every once in a while. But as you mentioned, I notice after a while that the car gets less aggressive with the tune even (I have a pretty light foot when i'm just commuting or daily driving...). there's really no way to avoid this adaptation, just how modern cars are.
#8 Old 01-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Ddaddy
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
The adaptives learn how you regularly drive and...adapt.

With my SRT at least, all I have to do stomp it once or twice and it adapts quickly to wanting to be a raging beast again.

I have been driving like a granny for the past 2 weeks with the cold and snow but tonight when I came home from work I took a sharp exit turn and nailed it. After that, the Beast was back in full-on "bring it" mode.

Like the SRT engineers said here a couple of years ago..."It may seem to be like it's becoming tame, but kick it in the @ss and it will remember what to do".

Reset it if you want to, but all you really need to do is drive it hard for a little bit to wake the dragon.

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
#9 Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 PM
shadydecepticon

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddy View Post
The adaptives learn how you regularly drive and...adapt.

With my SRT at least, all I have to do stomp it once or twice and it adapts quickly to wanting to be a raging beast again.

I have been driving like a granny for the past 2 weeks with the cold and snow but tonight when I came home from work I took a sharp exit turn and nailed it. After that, the Beast was back in full-on "bring it" mode.

Like the SRT engineers said here a couple of years ago..."It may seem to be like it's becoming tame, but kick it in the @ss and it will remember what to do".

Reset it if you want to, but all you really need to do is drive it hard for a little bit to wake the dragon.
I will give that a shot!
Though I'm sure there's a big difference between your boss-ome SRT engine and our lil semi-Hemis.
#10 Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Ddaddy
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
Quote:
I will give that a shot!
Though I'm sure there's a big difference between your boss-ome SRT engine and our lil semi-Hemis.
Not really.

I had a 2005 magnum SXT AWD before the Charger SRT and the adaptives work the same way. Just kick it in the butt a few times and it's all back. I used to make a point of nailing the Maggie to the firewall on the highway on-ramp going to work and again on the highway merge coming home every day to keep the adaptives in check. It only takes once or twice each day to keep it in "Beast" mode.

BTW, I absolutely loved the 3.5L engine in the Maggie and often wish I still owned that car. Sure, it's not the same as an SRT, but it still had plenty of kick to make me very happy driving it every day. I even smoked a 6.0L GTO once on the on-ramp and the look on his face was priceless when he couldn't catch me. (ain't physics grand?! LOL!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List