Warranty expires, engine light pops up. - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

#1 Old 01-17-2013, 12:47 AM
fluffykush

(Thread Starter)
Warranty expires, engine light pops up. (P1004)

My warranty expired exactly 1 month ago, and today I got the famous ole P1004 code.

I have a 2007 SXT 3.5, and from what I've read the fix is to replace the short-running valve actuator, correct? I've seen other posts talking about replacing the entire intake plenum and others saying the pcm has to be re-flashed. Does anyone know a sure way to figure out which one of these fixes will actually solve the issue?

PS...I don't drive this car much at all. It will sit in the garage for couple weeks at a time. Can this have anything to do with the P1004 code?

Last edited by fluffykush; 01-17-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2013, 05:59 PM
fluffykush

(Thread Starter)
I took the short runner valve actuator off and the metal thing would not turn freely with my fingers. I loosened it up a bit with pliers and can now turn it with my fingers. Cleared the code with predator. I'll fire her up tomorrow and see if she throws up the code again.

What exactly goes wrong with the actuator? Does the oil get inside the housing? Or is it the sensor plug that goes bad?
#3 Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 PM
TNCHARGER

Try talking to your dealer....he can talk to a Chrysler district supervisor to see if they will make exception and fix it free....I have seen my dealer get issues fixed that way that were much longer out of warranty..
#4 Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 PM
RCPilot

Warranty expires, engine light pops up.

You can also call the 800 hotline and ask what they can do for you. A few $ for a repair is goodwill for Chrysler.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
#5 Old 01-18-2013, 09:05 AM
DodgeCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCHARGER View Post
Try talking to your dealer....he can talk to a Chrysler district supervisor to see if they will make exception and fix it free....I have seen my dealer get issues fixed that way that were much longer out of warranty..

And if the dealer does not help then call the Chrysler Assistance Center at one of the numbers below. In fact I would probably call before you take it in to the dealer.

800-992-1992 United States
800-465-2001 Canada

Regina

U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
#6 Old 01-18-2013, 10:00 AM
IBDAGRIZ

The general fix was about what you did. Remove it and spray it with a cleaner, let it soak and work it till it's loose again. Then it should work good again..

Theoretically, the catch can helps eliminate this problem of excess oil in the intake to gum up the actuators..

Did it work for you after your fix?

Griz
#7 Old 01-18-2013, 11:49 AM
fluffykush

(Thread Starter)
The damn CEL popped up again. So my problem is probably the intake manifold? ;/
#8 Old 01-18-2013, 11:52 AM
fluffykush

(Thread Starter)
How freely should the short runner valve be turning? I can twist it with my fingers no problem, but it does take some muscle.
#9 Old 01-18-2013, 12:10 PM
IBDAGRIZ

It may be possible to spray and loosen it up also, but I have no idea on how difficult it is to move it by hand. My guess would be not too much as the actuator has to do it when it is running..
I have a hard time with it being the "manifold" itself as it is just a shell other than the runners in it.. I'm thinking put more attention on cleaning the runner ends and the actuator itself.

I'm sure there are threads on doing this somewhere on here..

Griz
#10 Old 01-18-2013, 12:15 PM
fluffykush

(Thread Starter)
How much should the short runner valve turn? I noticed the actuator shaft is able to turn about 3/4" or so, but the short runner valve only turns about 1/4 - 1/2" or so.

Can I test the actuator with it plugged in but taken off the manifold? Can I start my car with it off? Would it attempt to turn the shaft?

Last edited by fluffykush; 01-18-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List