Hood support piston failure - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

#1 Old 01-14-2013, 05:23 AM
Bigcountry

(Thread Starter)
Hood support piston failure

I raised the hood on the ride to dry under there after washing her as normal and as I was doing so, I got popped in the back of the head. Thought I didn't get the hood fully up and, laughing at myself, again raised it. But I watched as it slowly started to fall back down again. Would have thought the pistons would have lasted more than 5 years, but I guess it is a pretty heavy hood. Anyone else had to change theirs out and, if so, aftermarket replacement and costs? Thanks guys, searched but couldn't find anything in the archives.

'07 Torred SRT-8. All options except rear video. K&N CAI, 180 Jet T-stat, Diablo Equiped, B/T Catch Can, 35% Tint, Super 10's with Reso Delete , Custom Graphics by Signs and Designs of Asheboro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-14-2013, 05:40 AM
Jonny
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Any compressed gas cylinder fails after awhile...it isn't just ours.
Five years is about right.

I am the Stig

2010 R/T DWBlue, 2800 PI stall, Homemade CAI, JBA headers and mids, SLP LMII catback, Custom tune by Diablotoona, 180 T-stat, 3.06 Getrag.
#3 Old 01-14-2013, 05:59 AM
moparknighthawk

Mine lasted just over 5 years. I replaced them last year. My trunk supports seem to be getting a little weak so I might have to replace them this year.

Greg
Mopar Traditionalist "You can NEVER have too many cars"
2006 GoMango Dodge Charger Daytona # 1592 of 4000. (4 door coupe)
#4 Old 01-14-2013, 06:44 AM
R/T MUSCLE

Garage
Gezzzz the ones on my GTO never failed me, they have been fine for 46 years..

Big John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	72585  

2010 Dodge Charger R/T with Road and Track group package,tinted all around. Black Crystal Pearl coat paint. 1966 Pontiac GTO tripower 4spd, 390posi. GTO made the cover of High Performance Pontiac Magazine Dec/92
#5 Old 01-14-2013, 01:17 PM
CTown R/T R&T
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

That was before "planned obsolescence" which is todays philosophy.

I noticed that my trunk struts are getting weak too. Over 6 years of ownership and have only had to replace the tie rods (under warranty) and the tension struts besides brakes and oil. Can't really complain about that.
#6 Old 01-14-2013, 04:45 PM
POTTER

I replaced.bith of my hoid struts for.the same reason

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Real Name is Chris
2006 SRT8 *** Options I, II, III *** AEF CAI *** Zoomers *** Various Custom touches *** Plasti Dipped Body and Wheels *** Attitude from MOPAR
#7 Old 01-15-2013, 06:12 AM
06Daytona

My '06 did not come with any, just the metal support. But there was a simple mod which I did and the struts have failed so I am back to using the metal support. Just replace them. BTW: The hood is aluminum and very light.

Top Banana Daytona #2700/4000
#8 Old 01-15-2013, 06:19 AM
moparknighthawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Daytona View Post
My '06 did not come with any, just the metal support. But there was a simple mod which I did and the struts have failed so I am back to using the metal support. Just replace them. BTW: The hood is aluminum and very light.
I added mine too when I bought my Daytona. Very simple mod.

#9 Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 AM
Hemivision

Hey Guys, what mod? I hate the prop rod...
#10 Old 01-15-2013, 08:13 AM
R/T MUSCLE

Garage
The only thing I did to preserve the paint around the hole where the prop rod enters is a small piece of clear hosing attached to the end of the rod so as not to damage any paint on the hoods entry point..

Big John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List