blacktop 3.06 rear axle ratio on the HEMI - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:11 PM

My Charger: 2012 Bee
blacktop 3.06 rear axle ratio on the HEMI

For all the blacktop hemi owners
215MM Rear Axle and the 3.06 rear axle ratio, what kind of MPG effect does it have? Are the RPMs much higher? is it annoying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 02:51 PM

You are correct with regards to higher RPM's. Also, as you assumed gas mileage will suffer. Is it worth it for you to pay for parts and labor, and to get your pcm reprogrammed for the new gears? 0-60 times will be an ever so slight improvement over 2.65's. Again, do you think it's worth it? I don't. Just my opinion...
Old 01-12-2013, 03:01 PM

My Charger: 2012 Bee
research

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts&Glocks View Post
You are correct with regards to higher RPM's. Also, as you assumed gas mileage will suffer. Is it worth it for you to pay for parts and labor, and to get your pcm reprogrammed for the new gears? 0-60 times will be an ever so slight improvement over 2.65's. Again, do you think it's worth it? I don't. Just my opinion...
How much does that cost?
I just read up on it, the higher RPM are offset by tire size. So the reason why the blacktop package comes with the higher ratio, is because the tires are larger.
looks like gas milage is going to be very similar unless I put 18 inch tires on.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:15 PM

How much exactly I don't know. I'd say at least an EASY $500 at a wishfull minimum. I'd believe if you went ahead and did it you'd most likely regret it, as you'd see very little performance gain, and smaller mpg's and perhaps higher engine wear.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtuzik View Post
How much does that cost?
I just read up on it, the higher RPM are offset by tire size. So the reason why the blacktop package comes with the higher ratio, is because the tires are larger.
looks like gas milage is going to be very similar unless I put 18 inch tires on.
no, tire diameter is essentially the same...stock 235/55R18's are 28" tall, stock 245/45R20's are 28.4", so with the same gearing and RPM, speed will be off by approx 1.4%
Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 PM

My Charger: 2012 SRT8
I have the 3.06 gears and I consistently get 17-18mpg mixed and 24-25 mpg highway.

Current 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8
Traded 2012 Dodge Charger R/T AWD
Old 01-16-2013, 08:35 PM

My Charger: 2013 R/T R&T STP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens12 View Post
I have the 3.06 gears and I consistently get 17-18mpg mixed and 24-25 mpg highway.
I will be getting them in the car I order this week. Road and Track with the Super Track Pack.

The 3.06 gears will be good for about 2 tenths to 60 and maybe 3 in the quarter. MPG should be barely suffer.

To me they will have more jump across the RPM range and are VERY worth it to me. Gears are literally the best mod you can do for these muscle cars as far as raw performance.

3.06 is still pretty mild but stock for stock will pull away from a 2.65 R/T all day
Old 01-17-2013, 05:26 AM

My Charger: Brilliant black crystal pearl 2011 charger R/T Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblock66 View Post
I will be getting them in the car I order this week. Road and Track with the Super Track Pack.

The 3.06 gears will be good for about 2 tenths to 60 and maybe 3 in the quarter. MPG should be barely suffer.

To me they will have more jump across the RPM range and are VERY worth it to me. Gears are literally the best mod you can do for these muscle cars as far as raw performance.

3.06 is still pretty mild but stock for stock will pull away from a 2.65 R/T all day
Has that been tested? depends on the driver I think..

2011 Charger R/T plus,HellBoy Red interior,20% tint,modern muscle billet catch can,K&N filter,R/T Heritage emblems,mopar chin,matte black grill,srt8 20x9"replicas. (purchased 8/2/11)
2013 Dart Rallye, (purchased 12/19/12)
RETIRED...2006 Charger R/T, 22" Maas rims, L.E.D tinted color matched tails,20% tint, K&N CAI ,modern muscle billet catch can, diablo 93 octane CAI tune, Flowmaster 44/4" tips, matte black spoiler,blacked out trunk,matte grill,mopar chin,HEMI tattoos.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:40 AM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2010 Charger R/T
I went from 2.65 to 3.06

You will likely be disappointed, as I was.

3 tenths? No way that will happen, I don't think I saw a full tenth improvement, and I tracked it pretty regularly.

2010 R/T DWBlue, 2800 PI stall, Homemade CAI, JBA headers and mids, SLP LMII catback, Custom tune by Diablotoona, 180 T-stat, 3.06 Getrag.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblock66 View Post

you have to remember the tranny gearing is very deep, with first being 3.59:1, and OD only being .83....

dunno how much it'll be worth, as I've seen guys reporting stock regular r/t's running the same/similar times (13.5-13.7) as most published reports of R/T R&T with 3.06's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.