Rifled throttle body - Dodge Charger Forums
Performance Discussion/Modifications Discuss any performance modification in this section.

#1 Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 AM
Daytona#2103

(Thread Starter)
Rifled throttle body

So my friend and I were talking about guns and our cars and it got me thinking. Would I be possible to rifle out the throttle body? Kinda like a TBS but its the throttle body itself. Wonder if it would work.

2006 Daytona Top Banana #2103. K&N CAI, GTS head and tail light covers, shocker TRAIN HORN, tail light hide-away strobes, grill strobes, red led footwell lights, 25% tints back and 30% in front. yellow painted calipers, stock daytona rims painted black, KOOKS LT headers, SLP LM1 , decepticon emblems; soon to install ram air hood with 3inch cowl, carbon fiber gt spoiler wing,carbon fiber chin splitter, exhaust cutouts, hood pins, x-GPS GPS s550hd MTK, black vinyl roof/hood/trunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Hriv

Wouldnt that be adverse to performance?

The rifling would induce a swirl into the flow of air in and make it more turbulent?

On our helicopters engines (atleast the 701Ds in our H-60s and H-64s) there are de-swirl vanes forward of the compressor blades to straighten out the flow and make it less turbulent to improve compression. IE the same effect as an CAI.

Sent from my "HD" Pantech Breakout using the free version of AutoGuide

Current: Blaze Red 2008 Charger R/T
Previous: Steel Blue 2008 Charger SE. Traded in and missed.

U.S. Army 15F Aircraft Electrician
South Korea: '07-'08. Iraq: '08-'09. Afghanistan: '10-'11 and '13-'14. And No More To Come

#3 Old 01-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Daytona#2103

(Thread Starter)
Re: Hriv

I don't know. It was just a thought that's been stuck in my mind for a few days.

But shouldn't it act like a TBS. I know the point of the air swirling a TBS causes is for better fuel/air mixture for better combustion.
#4 Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 PM
DEVILS CHARGER

That in my opinion is a bad idea. Messing with the throttle body can really mess up the air/fuel ratio. Try this link, even though it's a tbs it might be something you're looking for. I bought one for my r/t, I noticed a different between 2-5k rpms, and then when I installed my tuner, I was able play around with the air/fuel ratio and I noticed a positive difference with the entire rpm range.

http://www.taylorvertex.com/Products...elixPowerTower
#5 Old 01-14-2013, 07:45 AM
Hriv

I standcorrected

#6 Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Daytona#2103

(Thread Starter)
I know it was just a thought. Not actually gonna do it. Thought it'd be cool if it worked.
#7 Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Jonny
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

You want straight flow until just before the fuel is introduced... TB is a long distance from the injectors.

I am the Stig

2010 R/T DWBlue, 2800 PI stall, Homemade CAI, JBA headers and mids, SLP LMII catback, Custom tune by Diablotoona, 180 T-stat, 3.06 Getrag.
#8 Old 01-14-2013, 11:36 AM
hskr

Send a message via AIM to hskr Send a message via Yahoo to hskr
There is absolutly zero purpose behind swirling the air coming through the throttle body whether the TB is "rifles" or you use one of the pointless TB spacers. The whole concept of improved a/f mixture is outdated and really only applies to carbs or throttle body injection set ups. With modern multipoint fuel injection, even if you swirled the air coming through the TB, it has to make several turns prior to reaching the point where the fuel injectors sit there by negating any positive effect the swirling air may have had on fuel atomization as the air will no longer be swirling by that point.

It's nothing but a marketing ploy to get ignorant people to waste money on TB spacers and tornado fuel savers and any other product that supposedly helps a/f by swirling the air.

Brian

#9 Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Hriv

So I was originally right? -face slap to self-

#10 Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 PM
04goat

It made a difference when i sanded down the outer lip of my tb on my gto. it has better throttle response. as long as you stay back away from the throttle flap it will not harm the idle. my gto has been modded like this for nearly 110,000 miles. and no problems.

04 gto 6sp yj, p/tb,tb bypass,160 * thermostat,pacesetter longtubes,tsp torquer 2 cam package, fully custom built 3 1/2 " exhaust, 238/248@50 600/605 lsa 112 n/a, custom tuned by andrea at abel raceing best et on dr's w/slipping clutch 12.70 @ 109, new times to come with the ls7 clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List