Potential 2013 R/T Buyer with a few questions for you experts! - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 AM

My Charger: 2013 R/T R&T STP
Potential 2013 R/T Buyer with a few questions for you experts!

Hey everyone. I am looking a picking up a new car in the next few weeks. I am coming from a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited. I will be trading the car in for something new and had criteria of wanting something performance oriented. I really want a Camaro SS but its 2 doors, RWD, MT, and not very practical. Wife can't drive MT and is against coupe purchase.

So I was looking at the new Honda accord but I only like the coupe not the sedan. I could get a great deal on it but again she is agaist the coupe part.

I then thought of the Charger R/T 4 doors, optional AWD, practical size, and only comes in Auto.

Right now it looks like they are very very heavily discounting them too. Around $4k. Which would mean I could probably get into an AWD R/T Max for about $33,500.

Here are my questions:

1) Are they heavily discounting the V8 (non SRT8) cars because the 8 speed auto is coming out early Feb? If so I would assume the 8 speed would greatly increase the MPG as well as the performance overall. Right now the car is ~ 5.3 0-60 and 13.7 1/4. I would think that this trans would have the potential to make that 5.0 and 13.3 along with improved fuel. Is it worth me waiting or do you think the discounts will be there next month too.

2) I would pretty much only consider the AWD version of the car for winters in NJ. But it looks like the AWD car only comes with the cheesy rims. You can't get the nice 5 spokes or those blacked out ones. Nor can you get the black out package. Do I have this correct? If so why is that?

3) Would there be any advantage to getting the R/T Plus and adding options rather then the R/T Max? Its a little confusing to me. Does the R/T Max literally come with every option?

4) Does the R/T suffer the gas guzzler tax?

Thanks in advance for the help. I plan on going to the dealer this week to test one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 PM

Ok after some more research it appears that I would be better suited going with the R/T Plus and getting the AWD Sport Performance Appearance Package. That gives you painted 19 inch rims, the same black grill, and beats audio.

I am not sure what the painted 19 inch rims look like but it lowers the cost of the car a lot. With $4k in incentives that puts it at about $30,500. Only $2k more then the accord. The big question then would be the 8speed. Everything I read is assuming 2/6 the 8 speed goes into the Hemi.

So is that 8 speed going to be so revolutionary to the performance of the car that its worth losing $4k up front
Old 01-07-2013, 12:39 PM

Not that I have anything against the AWD Charger, but if you do a quick search on this site for threads pertaining to "snow" you may see some interesting photos showing what a RWD Charger with decent snow tires can *easily* deal with.
1978 Pontiac Trans Am
1978 Pontiac Trans Am 4-speed SE
2006 Daytona R/T Tor-Red (59 of 200 - Canadian)
Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 PM

Im with ya. I have owned a 1968 GTO and a 1997 30th anniversary Z28. So I know all about RWD and snow (not that the GTO saw it). And I know the power of good dedicated snows.

But here is the thing. 4 new rims and 4 new tires will cost about the same as buying the AWD system in the car from the start. We don't see snow here more then a few times a winter too so I could probably make the case to go with RWD and just work from home if it snows.

Which would open up some other options and make the car cheaper. I just think that having the added comfort of the AWD would be good if we start a family in the next year or so.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblock66 View Post
Im with ya. I have owned a 1968 GTO and a 1997 30th anniversary Z28. So I know all about RWD and snow (not that the GTO saw it). And I know the power of good dedicated snows.

But here is the thing. 4 new rims and 4 new tires will cost about the same as buying the AWD system in the car from the start. We don't see snow here more then a few times a winter too so I could probably make the case to go with RWD and just work from home if it snows.

Which would open up some other options and make the car cheaper. I just think that having the added comfort of the AWD would be good if we start a family in the next year or so.
What part of the country do you live in? I live in North Central Indiana and I've been running my Charger R/T RWD since 2006...I don't even have dedicated Snow Tires for it.

Now granted, if the weather is TOO bad, I stay my butt at home...but that's just simply not wanting to deal with the other idiots on the road whose ambition often outweighs their ability

What options were you looking at? If you're wanting to add options (Nav, Backup Camera, etc.), you might save some coin going with the R/T Max over the R/T Plus. The Max pretty much includes all available options except the Sunroof, the Spoiler, and the Roof Blackout (which are all three available...they just aren't included).

Top Banana #321
Mods
Old 01-07-2013, 01:09 PM

Im in central NJ. So like I said the snow issue here isn't all THAT major. We do get some dangerous conditions at least a few times a winter. Nothing that RWD would really have an issue with but the wife might be more inclined to let me get the car if it has AWD.

I am not really sure what I would be looking for. I think I want to get that blacktop package that has the black rims, beats audio, and spoiler. After that I would need to think about it. I have never bought a NAV in a car because I have a Garmin.

My real concern at this point is the $4k in incentives vs the 8speed auto. I have seen what those things can do to increase performance and MPG in other cars and its amazing. I know no one can really answer that question but that 8speed could be the best "bolt on" for this car ever lol
Old 01-07-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I just think that having the added comfort of the AWD would be good if we start a family in the next year or so.
I hear ya on the family security thing. I've got an 11 year old and a 7 year old. I can't tell you what to choose, it will all depend on your level of comfort with RWD and snow. I'd never dream of navigating our winters up here with an F-body (although I've been in a couple of F-cars outfitted with snow tires even during a bad storm at one point, but they are just not balanced enough).

We cut our teeth up here back when they were all RWD and snow tires went on the back only (with summers up front!). So it was sort of a homecoming back in '03 when I went to using 2003 Mercury Marauders as winter cars after over a decade with 80s and 90s Honda products (Civics and an Integra GS) which themselves replaced a mid 80s Pontiac Parisienne (the last time I did the rear snow/ front summer thing). That move back to RWD didn't even make me flinch (Michelin Arctic-Alpines) and the same feeling of security carried over to my Charger in 2006 (with Blizzaks).

We got a foot-and-half of snow within 24 hours on Dec 27, and the car pulled itself out with no effort, and I honestly can't think of where AWD would get me better stability other than when the wheels are turned and I'm trying to accelerate on ice or out of deep snow. In 100 000 miles (most of them winter, due to my summer cars), I haven't met a snow storm that's given me any worry. I discounted the AWD because of the additional weight (and my own personal opinion on the wheel offset and suspension height). But it's a personal choice, as to what you're comfortable with given your local conditions.

I think what made me get over my fear was when I went a couple of winters with a naturally-low '92 Integra GS 5-speed with decent snow tires... I wouldn't expect any less from a Honda product, given its Civic roots, but when I found myself navigating through unplowed parking lots with total ease, I figured there was something to decent snow tires.

Good luck with your search. Hope you end up with as good/fun/safe a car as I have been blessed with.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:37 PM

I really appreciate your take on it. I am a V8 muscle guy through and though. I had my fun with a turbo 4. I modded that thing to running 12's in the 1/4 so it was QUICK. But now that it is time to say goodbye to that subaru. I can't just put myself into something that has no enthusiest appeal at all. Like a small SUV or soemthing. And to my wife who couldn't tell the difference between a Bently or a Hyundai, she doesn't get why I can't be happy in some econobox. She has a civic and cars to her are for A to B and thats it.

I thought the Accord Coupe was going to be a slam dunk with her but was very surprised she balked at the two doors. Then my brain went to charger. But there was the whole RWD issue until I realized they made an AWD version.

Pricing out the RWD with Cust Pref Pkg and Blacktop Pkg on the R/T plus and including the $4k in incentives on the car right now, it puts it exactly at that same price as the accord.

I will talk to her later about what she thinks. She will be happy about the 4 doors, large trunk, auto trans. She may be ok with RWD at that point but the option for AWD is there anyway for about $1500.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 PM

My Charger: 2012 SRT8
Quote:
Right now it looks like they are very very heavily discounting them too. Around $4k. Which would mean I could probably get into an AWD R/T Max for about $33,500.

Here are my Answers to your questions:

1) Are they heavily discounting the V8 (non SRT8) cars because the 8 speed auto is coming out early Feb? If so I would assume the 8 speed would greatly increase the MPG as well as the performance overall. Right now the car is ~ 5.3 0-60 and 13.7 1/4. I would think that this trans would have the potential to make that 5.0 and 13.3 along with improved fuel. Is it worth me waiting or do you think the discounts will be there next month too.

I can't see the 8-speed giving the hemi all that much better mileage, but it should make the car quicker with better gear choices.

2) I would pretty much only consider the AWD version of the car for winters in NJ. But it looks like the AWD car only comes with the cheesy rims. You can't get the nice 5 spokes or those blacked out ones. Nor can you get the black out package. Do I have this correct? If so why is that?

You can get your own aftermarket wheels. I didn't like the stock wheels much, so I got my own.

3) Would there be any advantage to getting the R/T Plus and adding options rather then the R/T Max? Its a little confusing to me. Does the R/T Max literally come with every option?

The max is literally all the options but sport package and paddle shifters. The AWD does come with 3.08 gears instead of the 2.65 which makes it run quite well. I love my max. The Adaptive cruise control and rain sense wipers are beyond awesome.

4) Does the R/T suffer the gas guzzler tax?

Not that I'm aware of. I didn't pay that nor was it on my window sticker. It still gets very good mileage on the highway and if you were to consider the 6cyl with the 8-speed, it gets awesome mileage.

I absolutely love my AWD. I came from a GMC Sierra SLT 6.2L truck to the AWD R/T Max and haven't looked back. I consistently get 16-17mpg tooling around and 24-25mpg highway. I recently had the chance to play in the snow with my car (6"-8" on the road) and I was VERY impressed with the AWD system. And I get compliments all the time on the looks of the car. There's plenty of room for my family and decent trunk space with fold down rear seats for the longer items. I recently picked up a 11' long carpet rug with the trunk closed...ahaha

I think you'll really like the car. I think it's dodges best kept secret.

Current 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8
Traded 2012 Dodge Charger R/T AWD

Last edited by Stevens12; 01-07-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:37 PM

Yeah I am starting to read about the 3.06 rear gear. Seems to come on the R/T Road and Track RWD pkg, or the AWD Max pkg.

I would want the better gearing. Even the diff between 3.06 and 2.65 is huge on the low end. It would make one walk all day long on the 2.65 at lower highway speeds.

There seems to be a 200 lb penalty on the AWD car over the RWD. Its not a ton but thats a lot considering its already a pig of a 4200lb car lol. Plus im 6'4 225.

Looks like the 3.06 also comes on the AWD R/T Plus. I will have to go to the dealer this week and drive some. I know I will like it but I guess I will have to think about the 8speed thing. Waiting wouldn't be hard for me to do at all since im not ready at the moment to purchase, but it would probably cost me the $4k in incentives and tax if I waited past Feb 6th

Last edited by mblock66; 01-07-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.