Bright White Clear vs Ivory 3 Coat Exterior Paint - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications

Exterior Discussion/Modifications Discussion of exterior modifications belongs in this section, even if the visual modification slightly affects performance (ie. spoilers, etc)

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 PM

Bright White Clear vs Ivory 3 Coat Exterior Paint

Are there any pro's con's here with these two colors? I'm trying to get a side by side demonstration at the dealer but haven't had the chance to arrange it because of the weather. Last time the sun was out I went and looked at the Ivory and Bright White and I really could not see any difference at a distance. Close up the ivory looks like it has some metal flake in it perhaps?

I'm just wondering quality wise is the ivory going to hold up a lot better? Anyone see these side by side have some opinions on the colors?

I'm just having a difficult time making up my mind, was feeling a touch bored at the office, so figure what the heck...I would start a thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2008 Charger SXT
Send a message via AIM to Stumblin Steve
From photos it looks that Ivory is a pearlescent color.

I don't think either would be more durable than the other either.
Join the Photoshop/Artist Group! Silver Chargers!!! & Virginia Chargers
Old 12-27-2012, 04:26 PM

IMHO Chrysler dropped the ball on that Ivory color. As you say, it is not that much different from the white. When I heard Chargers were coming in that color I was excited. I assumed it would look like GM's "pearl". It does not.
Go to a GMC or Caddy dealer and look at the vehicles in GM's Pearl....they are Beautiful.

I decided to go with plain white, as the Chrysler "ivory" simply looked like dull white to me. Then I saw billet silver and went with that....couldn't be happier....

2013 Charger RT
2011 GMC Terrain SLT
2005 GMC Yukon
2003 GMC Sierra
Old 12-28-2012, 12:27 PM

Thanks Elmer. I really want to stick with white because of dirt/dust in the area we live in. I'm just having trouble picking between the ivory and bright white. My wife really like the ivory and my brain keeps thinking...well it costs more so it's better lol. But the bright white makes more sense considering what I'm after.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:39 PM

I had trouble seeing the difference as well. Seems like the Ivory 3 coat does not have enough metallic in it to make much of a difference unless you are about 2 feet from the car. Given the extra $500 and the difficulty of matching the 3 coat finish in the event of a collision repair, I think Bright White is a better choice. I agree with Elmer above... the GM/Cadillac Diamond White is a special enough color that it is almost worth the $995 they charge for it.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnow View Post
Thanks Elmer. I really want to stick with white because of dirt/dust in the area we live in. I'm just having trouble picking between the ivory and bright white. My wife really like the ivory and my brain keeps thinking...well it costs more so it's better lol. But the bright white makes more sense considering what I'm after.
check out copperhead, too...I have a 2011 in toxic orange, and it really hides the dirt and dust
Old 12-28-2012, 04:19 PM

My Charger: 2013 SXT+
Though it does show dirt faster, the Bright white definitely stands out amongst other types of white paint..

Here in ON, silver is probably one of the most common colours, too generic for me..while most other white vehicles belong to folks who don't bother to keep them clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toronto-20121111-00061.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	72282  
Old 12-29-2012, 01:55 PM

I just purchased a 2013 Charger SXT Rallye in the Ivory color and can say that it "does" look different than the regular white, but it depends on the overall quality of the light where you live.

Here in Texas with the huge amount of sun, etc.... the Ivory is beautiful - I actually prefer Dodge's form of this color when compared to Lexus, etc, because this color is a pure white metallic - a lot of the other companies make this color "yellow" and over time, they look even more gold in appearance.

I got to see the Ivory next to the Bright White and I can say that the Ivory seems to have a few extra layers of paint and has almost no orange peel - the feel of the paint, when you run your fingers over it, feels on par with cars much higher in price - very comparable to a Japanese lead-based paint. I will say that the normal Bright White was a good color as well - i'm just not into "flat" paints.

Is it worth $500 more - that depends. I was lucky enough to find a $36k+ car that was reduced to $31k - so the added cost of the paint was really a "non-issue". If you were building your own car through a dealer - that might change my opinion.

Hope this helps. I absolutely love this car and haven't missed my old Mistubishi Outlander one bit (which had ZERO problems in the 5 years I owned it) - Every time I walk out to the parking lot,etc., I actually feel like i'm 18 again - enjoying the process of driving and getting to drive around in such a beautiful automobile. I'm actually proud to own an american car, as well.

Let us know what you end up buying!!

Cheers!

P.S. i put a few photos of my new ride in a gallery - a few of them show the Ivory paint with sun reflecting off the mica - hope this gives you a better visual!!

Last edited by Sirnewt; 12-29-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:38 AM

Keep in mind this color was a $1000 option in 2011. They lowered the price for it to $500 beginning in 2012. I have the ivory on my 2012 300.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-06-2014, 12:57 PM

My Charger: soon ...
I've been wondering the same thing about the two 'whites'.

I'm looking at this color chart:

https://www.fleet.chrysler.com/v7fle...aint_Guide.pdf

and it shows a greater difference in color than the online build tool.

I suppose I was wondering if the Ivory perhaps looked 'deeper'; if that makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.