Why SRT is falling behind - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT-8 Discussion

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:04 AM

Why SRT is falling behind

The problem SRT has is that it does not have a halo car. That halo car would be a model for technology and then a lot of that technology would filter down to the SRT8 level.

If SRT played in the E63 level then it would be a lot more advanced:

* turbochargers
* variable valve timing
* AWD on the Charger SRT8
* Vastly improved suspensions

But the only model more expensive than this is the Viper and that is crude by design. It is not a showplace of technology thus does not benefit the rest of the line.

If Chrysler was still owned by Benz then some of the latest AMG technology could filter down.

As it is, SRT lags behind.

So, Caddy can get 6.1 hemi power out of a 3.6L V6 - What could we get out of a twin-turbo 5.7L hemi?

That is the stuff SRT should be doing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 07:48 AM

SRT doesn't compete with Mercedes because they reside in totally different sections of the automotive market. Having a halo car burns a LOT of money that could be spent (or simply saved) elsewhere. Never have I though of SRT as a luxury car like a Mercedes, I think of it as an everyman's muscle car with a few extra options.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:59 AM

My Charger: 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8
LOL @ Benz filtering stuff down from AMG. You're kidding right?

Adaptable Bilsteins are considered vastly superior to the stuff on your 06, so is the Variable cam timing 6.4L over your 6.1...and if you want AWD, get the Jeep.

Go drive a new one, they are light years better than the last generation cars. Mainly because Mercedes left in 2007!

Last edited by TurboAWD; 12-22-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:16 AM

*sigh*.............. yet again.........

10.06 @ 140mph PWR forged 6.1 w/F1A Procharger @17psi / AfterHours Mopar Perf. installed!!!
my real name is CHRIS
Old 12-22-2012, 08:17 AM

Mercedes also gave Chrysler the cheapest plastics and saved the best for there pile of junks. Thats why the interior got a whole lot better once they left. They would never have filtered some of their better stuff to a dodge. Fiat on the other hand is and from what ive been seeing coming out in the newer cars is awesome. Wish I had the money to upgrade to a new srt8 charger but I cant right now still paying for my 06.
06 Inferno Red options I, II and III:mods Injen Intake, Diablo 91cai tune, 180 t stat, 3" cat back custom with flowmaster super 44s. HID lights with projectors and a grounding kit. Cusco oil catch can.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboAWD View Post
LOL @ Benz filtering stuff down from AMG. You're kidding right?

Adaptable Bilsteins are considered vastly superior to the stuff on your 06, so is the Variable cam timing 6.4L over your 6.1...and if you want AWD, get the Jeep.

Go drive a new one, they are light years better than the last generation cars. Mainly because Mercedes left in 2007!
thank you!!! hit the nail on the head. as the owner of a 2006, i am the first to say that my car is nowhere near what a new charger srt is. hell, my new durango r/t makes my charger look like a rental car.......lol

10.06 @ 140mph PWR forged 6.1 w/F1A Procharger @17psi / AfterHours Mopar Perf. installed!!!
my real name is CHRIS
Old 12-22-2012, 09:29 AM

My Charger: 2012 Charger Road & Track
Haha, here we go again. I don't put anything from Mercedes or BMW in my consideration with SRT.

I do, however, include used Cadillac CTS-V, used Corvette Z06 and used Mustang GT500 in my selection against the SRT 8 Challenger and Charger.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

I gave up on srt and jumped ship over to ford.
Love dodge styling and ill never sell my rt. But my 392 challenger is for sale and I track my 2013 boss 302 LS.

09 RT. 11.796 @ 113.15
11 IE Challenger 392 #787 (Sold)
13 Boss 302 Laguna Seca #392

Old 12-22-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Haha, here we go again. I don't put anything from Mercedes or BMW in my consideration with SRT.

I do, however, include used Cadillac CTS-V, used Corvette Z06 and used Mustang GT500 in my selection against the SRT 8 Challenger and Charger.
Maybe you could compare those cars power train wise but even then it's a stretch and SRT8 is not made to compete with those cars either. The closest is the CTS-V because it too is a 4 door 4,000lb beast! The Vette and the GT500 are not even remotely close to a Charger or Challenger in any shape or form.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

MC? Really, who in the 4-50K price range has a full size four door that competes? Who sells an SUV that compares to the JSRT?

You'r comparing apples to oranges. Really. Of course it doesnt have turbos and blowers, thats 70K tech in a full size car. What part of five people in comfort and three bodies in the truck isnt sinking in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT-8 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.