Horrible sound when backing up. Give me your opinion on the problem! - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:55 PM

Horrible sound when backing up. Give me your opinion on the problem!

Ok I'm going to do my best at explaining this. When I back up and turn my wheel my front passenger tire or something on that side makes a horrible sound, I'm not sure if its grinding or hanging or what. It almost feels like my tire is dragging when its backing up. It only happens for a second but you can really feel it in the steering wheel. Anyone have any idea on this?
DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, Smoked tail lights and side corners, de molded, de badged, SRT8 spoiler, SRT8 replica 20's (chrome), AEM Brute Force CAI, SMD LED interior lights, honeycomb grille insert, Diablosport Intune 89 tune, Danko front lip, 35% tint, LED tag light, Magnaflow catback dual exhaust, Pioneer AVH-X3500 double din
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 12:10 AM

would guess tie rods...could be outers or inners
honeycomb grille insert - rear spoiler - 20% tint - daytona chrome 20's - daytona rear diffuser - HID 8000k lows and fogs - front and rear blinker mod - custom exhaust w/4"tips - painted calipers - SRT fascia - daytona chin spoiler - blacked out grille - blacked out daytona 18's - diablo custom tune by Johan - full red LED conversion - BCR coilovers
Old 12-22-2012, 12:15 AM

Do you have the wheel turned at a severe angle? The front alignment angle on the SRT along with the low profile tires makes the front-end create noises and a jumpy/pop-and-release /jerking feeling when the wheel is turned severely and you are reversing.

Try turning the wheel at a less severe angle. It has been discussed here numerous times and is normal. It will make you cringe if there are loose stones on the asphalt and you reverse with the wheel turned hard. You might swear the front end is coming apart.

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)
QuantumBlue Custom Blended Oil (Yeah, it's that good)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
Old 12-22-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopon2s View Post
Ok I'm going to do my best at explaining this. When I back up and turn my wheel my front passenger tire or something on that side makes a horrible sound, I'm not sure if its grinding or hanging or what. It almost feels like my tire is dragging when its backing up. It only happens for a second but you can really feel it in the steering wheel. Anyone have any idea on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Charger View Post
would guess tie rods...could be outers or inners
I don't know very much when it comes to stuff like this but this was my first guess
Old 12-22-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddy View Post
Do you have the wheel turned at a severe angle? The front alignment angle on the SRT along with the low profile tires makes the front-end create noises and a jumpy/pop-and-release /jerking feeling when the wheel is turned severely and you are reversing.

Try turning the wheel at a less severe angle. It has been discussed here numerous times and is normal. It will make you cringe if there are loose stones on the asphalt and you reverse with the wheel turned hard. You might swear the front end is coming apart.
Well I don't have the SRT, just the replica 20's. It does it while I'm rolling backwards and it seems while I'm turning not while the wheel is already turned. As I try to think of it I can't but it seems to happen while I'm rolling and in the process of turning. I have thought that as well about hitting stones and stuff maybe that's what it was but I have gotten out and looked and their be nothing but smooth asphalt.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopon2s View Post
Well I don't have the SRT, just the replica 20's. It does it while I'm rolling backwards and it seems while I'm turning not while the wheel is already turned. As I try to think of it I can't but it seems to happen while I'm rolling and in the process of turning. I have thought that as well about hitting stones and stuff maybe that's what it was but I have gotten out and looked and their be nothing but smooth asphalt.
It might just be the wheels and low profile tires but it doesn't hurt to have the front-end checked out anyway.

Although you don't have an SRT, your alignemt angle isn't much different. It usually happens on the SRT during the process of turning similar to what you describe, once you pass a certain point of the wheel being turned. I use a less severe turn angle to avoid it. I just turn a certain amount and no more.

It will do it on perfectly smooth asphalt and at first it made me think I had something terribly wrong in the front-end.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:50 AM

Maybe your right daddy but what makes me worry is it only started happening here recently. It always hasnt happened, hopefully one day next week maybe I can get it on the lift and check everything out.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:45 AM

Get the front end checked.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:11 AM

any time you put the srt wheel on the r/t cars, even if just a "replica" you must run a 3mm spacer on the front wheels in order for the rim to not hit the upper control arm. the rubbing only happens when backing up with the wheel turned sharply, but it still not very nice to hear. without the spacers you can not fix this issue without grinding the area on the control arm that is hitting. commom problem for r/t owners using srt wheels.

10.06 @ 140mph PWR forged 6.1 w/F1A Procharger @17psi / AfterHours Mopar Perf. installed!!!
my real name is CHRIS
Old 12-22-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legmaker View Post
any time you put the srt wheel on the r/t cars, even if just a "replica" you must run a 3mm spacer on the front wheels in order for the rim to not hit the upper control arm. the rubbing only happens when backing up with the wheel turned sharply, but it still not very nice to hear. without the spacers you can not fix this issue without grinding the area on the control arm that is hitting. commom problem for r/t owners using srt wheels.
I only have the 3.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.