Horrible sound when backing up. Give me your opinion on the problem! - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 12-21-2012, 11:55 PM
chopon2s
Senior Member
 
chopon2s's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 625
(Thread Starter)
Horrible sound when backing up. Give me your opinion on the problem!

Ok I'm going to do my best at explaining this. When I back up and turn my wheel my front passenger tire or something on that side makes a horrible sound, I'm not sure if its grinding or hanging or what. It almost feels like my tire is dragging when its backing up. It only happens for a second but you can really feel it in the steering wheel. Anyone have any idea on this?

DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, Smoked tail lights and side corners, de molded, de badged, SRT8 spoiler, SRT8 replica 20's (chrome), AEM Brute Force CAI, SMD LED interior lights, honeycomb grille insert, Diablosport Intune 89 tune, Danko front lip, 35% tint, LED tag light, Magnaflow catback dual exhaust, Pioneer AVH-X3500 double din
chopon2s is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 12-22-2012, 12:10 AM
TK Charger
Senior Member
 
TK Charger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 619
would guess tie rods...could be outers or inners

honeycomb grille insert - rear spoiler - 20% tint - daytona chrome 20's - daytona rear diffuser - HID 8000k lows and fogs - front and rear blinker mod - custom exhaust w/4"tips - painted calipers - SRT fascia - daytona chin spoiler - blacked out grille - blacked out daytona 18's - diablo custom tune by Johan - full red LED conversion - BCR coilovers
TK Charger is offline  
#3 Old 12-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Ddaddy
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
 
Ddaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Philly PA
Posts: 12,085
Garage
Do you have the wheel turned at a severe angle? The front alignment angle on the SRT along with the low profile tires makes the front-end create noises and a jumpy/pop-and-release /jerking feeling when the wheel is turned severely and you are reversing.

Try turning the wheel at a less severe angle. It has been discussed here numerous times and is normal. It will make you cringe if there are loose stones on the asphalt and you reverse with the wheel turned hard. You might swear the front end is coming apart.


2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)


I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
Ddaddy is offline  
#4 Old 12-22-2012, 12:27 AM
chopon2s
Senior Member
 
chopon2s's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 625
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopon2s View Post
Ok I'm going to do my best at explaining this. When I back up and turn my wheel my front passenger tire or something on that side makes a horrible sound, I'm not sure if its grinding or hanging or what. It almost feels like my tire is dragging when its backing up. It only happens for a second but you can really feel it in the steering wheel. Anyone have any idea on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Charger View Post
would guess tie rods...could be outers or inners
I don't know very much when it comes to stuff like this but this was my first guess
chopon2s is offline  
#5 Old 12-22-2012, 12:30 AM
chopon2s
Senior Member
 
chopon2s's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 625
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddy View Post
Do you have the wheel turned at a severe angle? The front alignment angle on the SRT along with the low profile tires makes the front-end create noises and a jumpy/pop-and-release /jerking feeling when the wheel is turned severely and you are reversing.

Try turning the wheel at a less severe angle. It has been discussed here numerous times and is normal. It will make you cringe if there are loose stones on the asphalt and you reverse with the wheel turned hard. You might swear the front end is coming apart.
Well I don't have the SRT, just the replica 20's. It does it while I'm rolling backwards and it seems while I'm turning not while the wheel is already turned. As I try to think of it I can't but it seems to happen while I'm rolling and in the process of turning. I have thought that as well about hitting stones and stuff maybe that's what it was but I have gotten out and looked and their be nothing but smooth asphalt.
chopon2s is offline  
#6 Old 12-22-2012, 12:40 AM
Ddaddy
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
 
Ddaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Philly PA
Posts: 12,085
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopon2s View Post
Well I don't have the SRT, just the replica 20's. It does it while I'm rolling backwards and it seems while I'm turning not while the wheel is already turned. As I try to think of it I can't but it seems to happen while I'm rolling and in the process of turning. I have thought that as well about hitting stones and stuff maybe that's what it was but I have gotten out and looked and their be nothing but smooth asphalt.
It might just be the wheels and low profile tires but it doesn't hurt to have the front-end checked out anyway.

Although you don't have an SRT, your alignemt angle isn't much different. It usually happens on the SRT during the process of turning similar to what you describe, once you pass a certain point of the wheel being turned. I use a less severe turn angle to avoid it. I just turn a certain amount and no more.

It will do it on perfectly smooth asphalt and at first it made me think I had something terribly wrong in the front-end.
Ddaddy is offline  
#7 Old 12-22-2012, 12:50 AM
chopon2s
Senior Member
 
chopon2s's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 625
(Thread Starter)
Maybe your right daddy but what makes me worry is it only started happening here recently. It always hasnt happened, hopefully one day next week maybe I can get it on the lift and check everything out.
chopon2s is offline  
#8 Old 12-22-2012, 07:45 AM
RedDaytona06
Member
 
RedDaytona06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 79
Get the front end checked.
RedDaytona06 is offline  
#9 Old 12-22-2012, 08:11 AM
legmaker
Senior Member
 
legmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: orlando, fl
Posts: 3,311
any time you put the srt wheel on the r/t cars, even if just a "replica" you must run a 3mm spacer on the front wheels in order for the rim to not hit the upper control arm. the rubbing only happens when backing up with the wheel turned sharply, but it still not very nice to hear. without the spacers you can not fix this issue without grinding the area on the control arm that is hitting. commom problem for r/t owners using srt wheels.


10.06 @ 140mph PWR forged 6.1 w/F1A Procharger @17psi / AfterHours Mopar Perf. installed!!!
my real name is CHRIS
legmaker is offline  
#10 Old 12-22-2012, 12:49 PM
chopon2s
Senior Member
 
chopon2s's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 625
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by legmaker View Post
any time you put the srt wheel on the r/t cars, even if just a "replica" you must run a 3mm spacer on the front wheels in order for the rim to not hit the upper control arm. the rubbing only happens when backing up with the wheel turned sharply, but it still not very nice to hear. without the spacers you can not fix this issue without grinding the area on the control arm that is hitting. commom problem for r/t owners using srt wheels.
I only have the 3.5
chopon2s is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do ya think? Give me your opinion :D Slootdude Performance Discussion/Modifications 9 09-07-2008 06:52 PM
Hello, check my comparison out and give your opinion ajm144k New Member Introductions 14 07-20-2008 09:54 AM
Rubbing sound when backing up? Dan Charger SRT-8 Discussion 9 12-04-2007 12:03 PM
22" rolf blix 3 anyone have them? or give your opinion... robnhatch Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension 3 09-21-2007 04:44 PM
give me your opinion srt8/charger people! srt8/bmw Charger SRT-8 Discussion 8 07-15-2007 06:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome