You guys hate because you are not old enough to remember the REAL Mopar. - Dodge Charger Forums
General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

#1 Old 12-12-2012, 06:47 PM
MCaesar

(Thread Starter)
You guys hate because you are not old enough to remember the REAL Mopar.

I grew up in the 60s when Mopar was the absolute king of performance - nit just of American cars but in the world. The 392 hemi and later the 426 were the absolute most powerful engines in the world.

Chrysler dominated performance and engineering.

If you are old enough, you remember the hemi as a motor that took a backseat to no one - especially not some Caddy!

It pains me to no end that Chrysler has become an afterthought in the performance wars. It can't even compete with the top dogs. Worse, it is not even its own self. First German, now Italian.

To you young'ns - there was a time when it was the performance standard of the world.

Finishing 3rd is not acceptable to those of who can remember

2006 SRT8 228,000 miles+ (ordered with F1s and options)

COMING SOON!
2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
707 horsepower
650 pound feet of torque
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Hemi_Infantry

I don't hate you, old timer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(My name is Mike) Black 06 R/T, Black BOSS 338s, smoked LED tails, AAC Dual Halo (red/blue), AEM Brute CAI, BBK 85MM TB, Predator 91 CAI tune, 180 t-stat, TranZformer Shift Kit, ACES IV, BT Catch-can, Borla 125, JBA catless mids, (Eibach Anti-roll kit, and SLP underdrive pulley waiting for install) custom front emblem, Danko chin, Danko 345Hemi badges, 2" cowl ram air hood with pins // (stereo equip) Nation's 290amp alternator, 2000w Alpine amp, 200w & 400w mid amps, Memphis 6x9s, 2x Kicker 12" L7s, Rockford Fosgate hybrid cap
-machine gun turret sold separately
#3 Old 12-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Auto426

#4 Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 PM
V1P3R

Call it ignorance of youth, pal.
But the fact is, things change. And maybe Mopar is not the top dog any more in terms of absolute performance, they are still able to make cars that have a very strong following. And they still give us the maximum horsepower per dollar of our hard earned money. With a few dollars more and the vast sea of after market performance shops, those interested can make a real beast out of their Mopars.
Mopar has made peace with it. And so have its fans (all except a few old timers like you )
#5 Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Ron380

I never said I hated you.

At least not out loud.

I don't think...

2007 TorRed SXT/AWD: Gone, but not forgotten.
2011 Mustang GT, Kona Blue
2007 Ram 1500 4x4, 4.7l V8. mods have started...
#6 Old 12-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Patriot Infinity

Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot Infinity
Isn't Mopar just the name of Dodge's replacement parts division? I thought it they named their parts division as a marketing stunt.

2008 Dodge Charger R/T w/R&T
Instagram: @patriotinfinity for pictures of my Charger
#7 Old 12-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Ddaddy
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Infinity View Post
Isn't Mopar just the name of Dodge's replacement parts division? I thought it they named their parts division as a marketing stunt.
"Mopar (An acronym for Motor parts) is the Parts, Service and Customer Care organization within Chrysler Group LLC. Mopar also designs and builds a small number of customized vehicles. The term was first used by Chrysler in the 1920s and was introduced as a brand starting in 1937. Mopar parts are original equipment manufactured parts for Chrysler vehicles. In Canada, these were sold under the Chryco and AutoPar brands until the Mopar brand was phased into that nation's market, starting in the late 1970s.

The term "Mopar" has passed into broader usage among car enthusiasts as an unambiguous reference to the parent company Chrysler Group LLC. The term has thus become an inclusive word for any Chrysler-built vehicle—most any Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, Imperial, or DeSoto, plus Jeeps and sometimes Eagle vehicles built after Chrysler's 1987 buyout of AMC-Jeep. Thus, for example, a car club for owners of any Chrysler Corporation vehicle might describe itself as a club for Mopar enthusiasts"

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
#8 Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Malcolm65

Who else can give you 470HP, room for 4 6 footers, all under $50K?

Sometimes it is not what we say but how we say it
#9 Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Ddaddy
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaesar View Post

I grew up in the 60s when Mopar was the absolute king of performance - nit just of American cars but in the world. The 392 hemi and later the 426 were the absolute most powerful engines in the world.

Chrysler dominated performance and engineering.

If you are old enough, you remember the hemi as a motor that took a backseat to no one - especially not some Caddy!

It pains me to no end that Chrysler has become an afterthought in the performance wars. It can't even compete with the top dogs. Worse, it is not even its own self. First German, now Italian.

To you young'ns - there was a time when it was the performance standard of the world.

Finishing 3rd is not acceptable to those of who can remember
Having been a Mopar enthusiast all my life, I understand where you are coming from. Here is my old '69 Dart GT 340 4-spd...

The issue that brings the perceived "hate" is quoting the car magazines endlessly as the final authority on perfomance. My review of the 8-speed tranny is an example. I drove it, reviewed it and yet you disputed my observations of disappointment in the programming at every turn until a car magazine posted a review that said all the same things I did. You then agreed that I was correct.

Perhaps it's more a issue of approach and assumption rather than age and remembering the past.

Believe me I agree that Mopar isn't leading the performance wars like it did back in the day and I am profoundly disappointed that they're not.

However, bringing the rest of the world's performance cars into play isn't fair either. Back in the day, almost any European sports car outperformed the American cars in handling and refinement...we just beat them with raw power. My 1974 Opel Manta out handled every Mopar I ever owned back then and the 4 speed was like butter compared to the American "rock-crusher" gearboxes.

If you applied the same comparisons we made back in the day of American Muscle to American Muscle and left the car mags out of it, I think you'd find the response isn't any different than it was back then. Timeslips tell the tale, opinions on refinement sit in the stands and watch...and whine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69 Dodge Dart GT 340 - small.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	72088  
#10 Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 PM
chargerdriven

2009 Charger R/T: rear air diffuser, hood struts, Mopar T shifter, chin spoiler, black grill with honeycomb insert, Charger script and RT emblems, Diablo Predator 91, painted engine cover, BT catch can, Hawk pads, R1 Concepts slotted rotors, taillights painted and tinted, BT underhood kit, ABS trim piece, Mopar CAI, engine bay LED lights, Corsa Extreme catback.
[/I][/COLOR]

Photo by Hazman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List