thinking of getting the wife a new Charger. - Dodge Charger Forums
General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

#1 Old 12-12-2012, 02:36 PM
BamaMopar

(Thread Starter)
thinking of getting the wife a new Charger.

My wife has a Magnum that she loves to death. But I think she needs a newer car. I would really like to see the R/T Dart or SRT. But she really likes the Charger. So I have found serval new and used 11 and up Chargers. I like them very well. Is the any thing I should be looking at that are problem areas on used ones? I'm looking at 3.5s right now if that helps. Its a family car not a hot rod. Thanks Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Stevens12

Well as similar as the Magnum is to the Charger, obviously they are VERY different. Your maggy's going to have alot more room than the charger. I believe the 2011-13 V6 chargers have the 8-speed transmission that I hear works VERY nice. And I can tell you first hand, the interior of the 2011-up's are awesome.

Just be sure you have enough room if you downsize to the charger. But I'm sure, you'll love the new charger if you decide to go that route.

Also, if you find a Mopar 11, they're a hot ticket with 3.91 gears. Enjoy the search!

Current 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8
Traded 2012 Dodge Charger R/T AWD
#3 Old 12-12-2012, 05:43 PM
MCO_Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens12 View Post
Well as similar as the Magnum is to the Charger, obviously they are VERY different. Your maggy's going to have alot more room than the charger. I believe the 2011-13 V6 chargers have the 8-speed transmission that I hear works VERY nice. And I can tell you first hand, the interior of the 2011-up's are awesome.

Just be sure you have enough room if you downsize to the charger. But I'm sure, you'll love the new charger if you decide to go that route.

Also, if you find a Mopar 11, they're a hot ticket with 3.91 gears. Enjoy the search!
The 8-Speed didn't show up until the 2012 MY cars (same year as the Pentastar V6).

Only thing that sticks out as an "issue" would the 2011 MY cars with Keyless Entry, some of the earlier cars had issues...but if you're buying used, chances are the previous owner would have already it fixed if it was one of the ones with the problem.

Other than the Engine/Transmission difference for the V6, the only other difference I can think of between the 2011 and 2012+ cars is color EVIC display started in 2012.

Top Banana #321
Mods
#4 Old 12-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Auto426

I got to "test drive" a 2012 V6 Charger for a week while I was trying to find someone to replace my 06 Charger that was totaled. While the car was just a lowely base model, I drove wonderfully and it was very comfortable. The car cruised effortlessly and it felt like you were driving something half it's size. The brakes were nice and grabby, and the electro assist power steering makes a huge difference. The 3.6 has a good bit of pep and gets very good mileage when you take into account what it's lugging around.

If I was in the market for a family car, a Charger or 300 with the new 8 speed connected to the 3.6 would be my first choice. I love my Road and Track, but it's not the most practical model in the lineup.
#5 Old 12-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Elmer Fudd

Hi BM

My job requires I do a lot of driving. I have rented all sorts of cars. I had a older v6 (not Pentastar) that I drove all over the west for two weeks and could not complain. I would not call it "quick" but it was adequate for the big car and pulled thru the mountains well.

More recently i got a Pentastar v6 for a few days in Arizona. This was when they still had 5 speeds. That car had a little zip to it. With the new 8 speed it would be very zippy I am sure. Chargers are always my first pick at the rental lot if they have one.

Nice big COMFORTABLE cars.....picking up my new RT Friday.

ROLL TIDE
Elmer from Tuscaloosa

Elmer

2013 Charger RT
2011 GMC Terrain SLT
2005 GMC Yukon
2003 GMC Sierra
#6 Old 12-13-2012, 01:39 AM
iamstubb

I've rented the 3.5 v6 and was OK with it but not impressed. I bought a 2012 V6 pentatstar because I was very impressed by it and I commute a long way so the mileage was a bigger issue. It hit the sweet spot of decent power, mileage, and the ability to haul my family around in. And I think it is the best looking car on the road. I have not regretted it a bit. Opinions are split on the 8spd ZF transmission, but I think it is a big improvement on the V6. It does try to keep RPM low for mileage and so it is different than a 5 speed and will drop a couple gears to pass. I ocaasionally just drop a gear manually by hitting L and it picks up to pass nicely.

2012 SXT V6/8SPD Sport Package (Rallye)
Performance: Rear Stabilizer/Mopar CAI/Quantum Blue/ACES IV
Exterior: Mopar Caliper Covers/Mopar Chin Spoiler/Rear Spoiler
Interior: OEM Rearview Camera
JBL GTO3EZ/504 Amps /PAC Audio C2A-CHY5 HU Adapter/MiniDSP 2x4 Sound Processors
Infinity Reference 3032 Dash 3.5"
Infinity Reference 9632 Door/Rear Deck 6x9"
Infinity Reference 1062W 10" sealed sub
#7 Old 12-13-2012, 06:25 AM
michiganpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCO_Carter View Post
The 8-Speed didn't show up until the 2012 MY cars (same year as the Pentastar V6).

Only thing that sticks out as an "issue" would the 2011 MY cars with Keyless Entry, some of the earlier cars had issues...but if you're buying used, chances are the previous owner would have already it fixed if it was one of the ones with the problem.

Other than the Engine/Transmission difference for the V6, the only other difference I can think of between the 2011 and 2012+ cars is color EVIC display started in 2012.
actually, the 3.6L pentastar came out in the '11 chargers. the 8 speed in '12, optional in the SE, standard on the SXT.

early build '11's had issues with door handles for the passive entry, but that's been resolved through recalls.

I love my '11 R/T (july '11 build date, so I didn't have the door handle issue), just filled up this morning. 22.8 mpg actual caluclated (23.5 according to the evic).....not bad for a 370 hp car....

'11 Toxic Orange Charger R/T
'06 Dodge Grand Caravan
'76 Plymouth Duster
#8 Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 AM
MCO_Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganpat View Post
actually, the 3.6L pentastar came out in the '11 chargers.
You're right, I stand corrected...that's what I get for relying on my...ummm, my.....errrr....my "thinkie-thingie" to do all my rememberising.
#9 Old 12-13-2012, 08:32 AM
DodgeCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMopar View Post
My wife has a Magnum that she loves to death. But I think she needs a newer car. I would really like to see the R/T Dart or SRT. But she really likes the Charger. So I have found serval new and used 11 and up Chargers. I like them very well. Is the any thing I should be looking at that are problem areas on used ones? I'm looking at 3.5s right now if that helps. Its a family car not a hot rod. Thanks Mark

Bama,

If you would like a build sheet for any used vehicle you are considering PM me the Vin and I will send you one. I will also check for any recalls or warranty restrictions that may be applicable to the vehicle and get you that info as well.

Regina

U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
#10 Old 12-13-2012, 08:59 AM
IBDAGRIZ

< My wife has a Magnum that she loves to death. But I think she needs a newer car >

Your first mistake..

< thinking of getting the wife a new Charger. >

Your second..

LOL..

My suggestion is let her do all the decisions on it. That way you're in the clear and it was her decision..

Griz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List