whistling sound on cold start - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger Problems/Assistance (2011 +) You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

#1 Old 12-09-2012, 03:27 PM
ert

(Thread Starter)
whistling sound on cold start

Last winter my 2011 R/T started making a high pitch whistling / screetch sound briefly on startup in cold temps (< 32F). The dealer was unable to find anything, but now it's doing it again since it's getting colder out. Any ideas what this might be? The sound lasts only about a second and only when the engine has been off for 12+ hours in cold weather. I've had similar sounds on other cars that turned out to be bad alternator bearings, pulley, etc, but those problems generally produced constant sound and could be easily diagnosed. I'm not looking forward to leaving my car at the dealer for several days only to have the same reply as last time.

2011 R/T Billet Metallic
Corsa Extreme exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-17-2012, 08:25 PM
WhiteOut529

Does it go away after some time??

2007 3.5HO| TINTED 5% | 6.1" APP RADIO |VERSANTE 24" RIMS | 20" CHROME CLADS STAGGERED (WINTER) | DIABLO INTUNE | FLASHTECH RED HALOS | PLASTIDIP

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
#3 Old 12-17-2012, 08:34 PM
torred 3.5

I have the SAME problem on my 08 3.5L. And I live in Michigan so it gets pretty cold out. Just like you described, I have the 89 oct predator tuned installed and every morning for the first 2-3 seconds will make a whining/whistling noise right after start up and then it will go away when the engine comes off high cam or when I put it into reverse. Weird, I'm maybe wondering is it a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake? I have no idea, but I don't find it to be a serious problem.

2008 Dodge// Charger SE Plus 3.5
TORRED exterior. Mods: too many to list.

Charger bought new, 10 minutes from Chrysler headquarters on December 30, 2008.
#4 Old 12-19-2012, 01:31 PM
DodgeCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by torred 3.5 View Post
I have the SAME problem on my 08 3.5L. And I live in Michigan so it gets pretty cold out. Just like you described, I have the 89 oct predator tuned installed and every morning for the first 2-3 seconds will make a whining/whistling noise right after start up and then it will go away when the engine comes off high cam or when I put it into reverse. Weird, I'm maybe wondering is it a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake? I have no idea, but I don't find it to be a serious problem.
Torred,

There was a TSB that may be related to your issue. I could find no such bulletin for the 2011 models though. See below.

NUMBER: 18-036-08 REV. A
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: December 3, 2008

SUBJECT:
Flash: Whistle Sound From Engine Compartment/Purge Solenoid
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) with new software and Initializing the NAG1 transmission (sales code DGJ)
or Clear the Variable Line Pressure (VLP) Counters on 42RLE equipped vehicles (sales
code DGV) with the StarSCAN®/StarMobile®.
CAUTION: It is important to initialize the NAG1 transmission (sales code DGJ) for
2008 model year or Clear the Variable Line Pressure (VLP) Counters on
42RLE equipped vehicles (sales code DGV) with the
StarSCAN®/StarMobile®.
MODELS:
*2008** - 2009 (LE) 300C/300 Touring (International Markets)
*2008** - 2009 (LX) 300 / Magnum / Charger
NOTE: This bulletin applies to models equipped with a 3.5L engine (sales code EGG)
built before August 26, 2008 (MDH 0826XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may complain of a whistle sound coming from the engine compartment
while the vehicle is running. This condition is caused by the purge solenoid. A software
change has been made to the current on the purge solenoid circuit which corrects the
condition.
If the vehicle owner complains of this issue reprogram the PCM with the new software.

Regina

U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
#5 Old 12-19-2012, 01:34 PM
torred 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeCares View Post
Torred,

There was a TSB that may be related to your issue. I could find no such bulletin for the 2011 models though. See below.

NUMBER: 18-036-08 REV. A
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: December 3, 2008

SUBJECT:
Flash: Whistle Sound From Engine Compartment/Purge Solenoid
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) with new software and Initializing the NAG1 transmission (sales code DGJ)
or Clear the Variable Line Pressure (VLP) Counters on 42RLE equipped vehicles (sales
code DGV) with the StarSCAN®/StarMobile®.
CAUTION: It is important to initialize the NAG1 transmission (sales code DGJ) for
2008 model year or Clear the Variable Line Pressure (VLP) Counters on
42RLE equipped vehicles (sales code DGV) with the
StarSCAN®/StarMobile®.
MODELS:
*2008** - 2009 (LE) 300C/300 Touring (International Markets)
*2008** - 2009 (LX) 300 / Magnum / Charger
NOTE: This bulletin applies to models equipped with a 3.5L engine (sales code EGG)
built before August 26, 2008 (MDH 0826XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may complain of a whistle sound coming from the engine compartment
while the vehicle is running. This condition is caused by the purge solenoid. A software
change has been made to the current on the purge solenoid circuit which corrects the
condition.
If the vehicle owner complains of this issue reprogram the PCM with the new software.
wow, great info, didn't even know that! So how do I get this fixed? Let the dealer know of this problem and they'll give me the new software/calibration?
#6 Old 12-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Hemi_Infantry

Could it just be a squeeky pulley that needs some belt spray? Happens to me when it gets cold out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(My name is Mike) Black 06 R/T, Black BOSS 338s, smoked LED tails, AAC Dual Halo (red/blue), AEM Brute CAI, BBK 85MM TB, Predator 91 CAI tune, 180 t-stat, TranZformer Shift Kit, ACES IV, BT Catch-can, Borla 125, JBA catless mids, (Eibach Anti-roll kit, and SLP underdrive pulley waiting for install) custom front emblem, Danko chin, Danko 345Hemi badges, 2" cowl ram air hood with pins // (stereo equip) Nation's 290amp alternator, 2000w Alpine amp, 200w & 400w mid amps, Memphis 6x9s, 2x Kicker 12" L7s, Rockford Fosgate hybrid cap
-machine gun turret sold separately
#7 Old 12-19-2012, 01:44 PM
DodgeCares

Quote:
wow, great info, didn't even know that! So how do I get this fixed? Let the dealer know of this problem and they'll give me the new software/calibration?
Vehicle would have to be diagnosed by dealer and update would be done if it was determined to be a resolution to the problem. It only would be covered under warranty or service contract if you have coverage. It is not a recall that would be covered at any time.
#8 Old 12-31-2012, 01:03 AM
ert

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut529 View Post
Does it go away after some time??
It only last 1-3 seconds on a cold start.
#9 Old 01-05-2013, 01:15 PM
torred 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeCares View Post
Vehicle would have to be diagnosed by dealer and update would be done if it was determined to be a resolution to the problem. It only would be covered under warranty or service contract if you have coverage. It is not a recall that would be covered at any time.
My father is an engineer at Chrysler so he has the starscan tools/diagnostics etc. Could this be done by him?
#10 Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 AM
DodgeCares

Quote:
My father is an engineer at Chrysler so he has the starscan tools/diagnostics etc. Could this be done by him?

He would have to have the new software to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Models (2011 - Up) > Charger Problems/Assistance (2011 +)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List