What Is A Oil Catch Can? - Dodge Charger Forums
General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

#1 Old 11-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Backes07

(Thread Starter)
What Is A Oil Catch Can?

So I see people talk about BT oil catch cans, or just people talking about oil catch cans and I'm wondering what exactly do they do? kind of a dumb question I'm sure but I am just wondering their exact use?

2007 Steel Blue AWD SXT6
Mods

20% Tint, Home Made CAI,Flowmaster Dual Exhaust w/ H-Pipe, 2 MTX 12" Subs and AMP, Kenwood Head Unit, Side Marker Blinker Mod, Sonic Blue Dash, SRT Spoiler, PD'd Rims, Blue Calipers, 6K HID Heads and Fogs, Predator 89 Tune W/10% Throttle Boost,Tinted Tails, TruFiber SRT Hood, Sequential Tails, Daytona Front Lip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Savior84

Via the "How do I......everything" thread:

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...d.php?t=106028

2009 R/T Brilliant Black Crystal Pearlcoat

Demolded, debadged, P-dipped, smoked corners, chin spoiler, '06 tails, 35% front/5% rear window tint, airbox/air tube mod, Airhog, catch can, 180* tstat, Predator, reso delete.
#3 Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 PM
MotoAce51

I just bought one myself. I have no idea how well they work but we will see.

Anyways, to sum it up a little: There is oil that goes through the PCV valve and back into your intake. The catch can is put in series with this line so the oil is caught in the can and not directed back into the engine. Think of it as a accumulator in a compressor in the garage. It is designed to catch the water so it doesn't go into the motor. Fluid goes in & only air comes out.

2006 Charger R/T
- Carbon Fiber LMI Hammer Intake - Boss 22's - Blastin' Bobs 7db Reso Delete - Tranzformer Shift Kit - K&N CAI - DiabloSport - inTune CAI Tune - BT Catch Can - Tinted Marker's - 10000K HID - Halo & LED Headlights - CF Vinyl Dash & Door Pillar Overlay
#4 Old 11-28-2012, 10:37 PM
370 HEMI
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoAce51 View Post
I just bought one myself. I have no idea how well they work but we will see.

Anyways, to sum it up a little: There is oil that goes through the PCV valve and back into your intake. The catch can is put in series with this line so the oil is caught in the can and not directed back into the engine. Think of it as a accumulator in a compressor in the garage. It is designed to catch the water so it doesn't go into the motor. Fluid goes in & only air comes out.
Different type oils have varying vapor thresholds.

What this means is that depending on the point the oil goes from liquid to vapor determines how much oil...and water is going to end up in the catch can. Think of it as boiling point of the oils.

The best way to think of it is like water. At one temperature it is a solid. At typical temperatures above 32 degrees F it is liquid. It remains a liquid until it hits vapor threshold and at 212 degees F it goes to vapor.

It then gives off it's "latent heat" and turns back into a liquid and runs down your windows in your house etc.

So likewise, oil "volatility" reacts to the refining heat that comes from your engine and goes from a liquid to a vapor and while going up the tube gives off the latent heat and turns back into a liquid and condenses into your catch can....leaving the fuel vapors and combustion byproducts to go back into your intake, burned and out the exhaust.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

More Power, More Torque, Better MPGs - It's "Rocket Fuel For Your Car"

Custom Designed & Custom Blended "ALWAYS beats off the shelf brands"

Better cooling, better protection without all "The Gunk"

Last edited by 370 HEMI; 11-28-2012 at 10:49 PM.
#5 Old 11-28-2012, 10:45 PM
hothouse

The best benefit is it stops oil from collecting in your intake manifold and causing knock retard.

2012 Charger Super Bee powered by SRT/ Also doubles as the Bat mobile. 12.43@115.01. Diablo 93 Tune, Magna flow exhaust with reso delete and stock tips
2008 Charger R/T Titanium Grey/ lots of mods Gone But Not Forgotten!
#6 Old 11-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Patriot Infinity

Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot Infinity
I always thought those were common in just Corvettes.

2008 Dodge Charger R/T w/R&T
Instagram: @patriotinfinity for pictures of my Charger
#7 Old 12-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Fudge
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Send a message via AIM to Fudge
So are these thing needed, or recommended?
I've thought about getting one myself, but have mixed feelings about it!!

~2013 Mustang GT (Deep Impact Blue)
-2009 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona 364/400 (SOLD ... and missed)

http://www.youtube.com/user/StoneWhiteDaytona

#8 Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 AM
AdWo2187

I think heavily recommended for Hemi's. I emailed diablosport for a custom tune and they wouldn't even do it if I wouldn't have had a catch can.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2008 Brilliant Black SRT8
Option Group III
Corsa Xtreme
Predator
Lots of BT and BND

'I don't need to go fast, but I need to know I can go fast...'
#9 Old 12-02-2012, 04:44 AM
Blaquesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothouse View Post
The best benefit is it stops oil from collecting in your intake manifold and causing knock retard.
X2. But if you get one, PLEASE remember to check it frequently. I check mine every 2-4 weeks.
#10 Old 12-02-2012, 06:11 AM
RECONMARINE

Send a message via MSN to RECONMARINE
While I was getting an appraisal at the Dodge dealership the manager took my car for a test dive and after that opened the hood. He asked what is that, (pointing to the catch can), so I told him what it does. Then to my surprise he said “why don’t all the cars come with them? “ After my acknowledgement he then said “Oh, that would make the car last longer.” So, yes it Is an added benefit to have one. Less gunk in the manifold.

2010 (Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl) Dodge Charger Manship: Blinker Mod. De Badged, De Molded, Predator with 93 tune, AFE Stage II CAI, Billet Technology catch can, Billet Technology Custom emblem, Window vents. Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Hood Struts, Blue interior LED, HID's for reverse lights , 69" Grill, Quantum Blue, ACES IV

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Tags
catch, oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List