Autostick Operation - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:57 PM

Autostick Operation

I was wondering how the autostick worked... are there any benefits over leaving it in auto? Does the autostick hold the gear until redline? If not, does it work as a sport mode that automatically shifts?

I ask this because on the new Taurus' the paddles hold the gear and there is no rev limited cutoff unless you get the SHO... it even warns of this in the manual They don't say what the redline is, but the power peak is 6250... so at least you have a ballpark of when to shift... but that would be kinda scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 07:22 PM

The only time I prefer to use Autostick is at the track. I put it in first and let it shift on it's own. I don't know of any proven benefit to leaving it in autostick at all times though. If you have MDS then it will not engage when autostick is activated. So that would be a loss of MPG if you left it like that all the time.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:38 PM

My Charger: TorRed 2007 RT
Gives you better mpg in city/populated area as you control the shift.
It does automatically shift for you when you get too high(redline) or too low, as it says in the manual, it prevents damage to the transmission.
Also in sport mode you get better response. Automatic mode is better for cruising or highway as MDS kicks in.
Strut Bar V 2.1
"Being a good fiend is like being a photographer, you have to search for the right moment!"
Old 11-27-2012, 08:10 PM

The early '06 SRT doesn't upshift in Autostick mode, it bangs the rev limiter but won't up-shift. The later models do. There was a reflash for the '06 SRT that would make the upshift happen, but it removed the aggressive shifting otherwise (I never had the reflash done). Mopar currently offers a TCM performance upgrade that is simply the original SRT TCM programming.

The Autostick mode is designed to let you shift the NAG1 like it was a manual and hold gears when you choose and shift when you want. There isn't a particular advantage to it (besides road course racing) other than it's more fun to drive.

I leave my tranny in normal mode at the track since it will upshift at the rev limit at WOT All later years will do the same in normal mode. Leaving it in auto stick on later models is an illusion since it upshifts at the same points anyway with the newer programming.

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)
QuantumBlue Custom Blended Oil (Yeah, it's that good)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
Old 11-27-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddy View Post
The early '06 SRT doesn't upshift in Autostick mode, it bangs the rev limiter but won't up-shift. The later models do. There was a reflash for the '06 SRT that would make the upshift happen, but it removed the aggressive shifting otherwise (I never had the reflash done). Mopar currently offers a TCM performance upgrade that is simply the original SRT TCM programming.

The Autostick mode is designed to let you shift the NAG1 like it was a manual and hold gears when you choose and shift when you want. There isn't a particular advantage to it (besides road course racing) other than it's more fun to drive.

I leave my tranny in normal mode at the track since it will upshift at the rev limit at WOT All later years will do the same in normal mode. Leaving it in auto stick on later models is an illusion since it upshifts at the same points anyway with the newer programming.
Thanks! I was wondering about that.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddy View Post

I had to find this out the hard way when I first got my car a little over a year ago. Was racing my friend and forgot it was in manual mode, scared the **** out of me.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KGT206SRT View Post
I had to find this out the hard way when I first got my car a little over a year ago. Was racing my friend and forgot it was in manual mode, scared the **** out of me.
I've done that a couple times in my stang. Thank God for the rev limiter... scary though lol. You just have to really watch it though because not all cars cut fuel when you redline.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:21 PM

I find the auto-stick quite useless and annoying.

You only get to shift if you're going slow. If you have WOT it will shift when it wants, doesn't matter if you tell it to or not.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:25 AM

At the dragstip I have always had quicker times using autostick.(Sorry Ddaddy your SRT is not much faster than my R/T). This is something to play around with on the car and see how you prefer to drive. I use it quite a bit now that I have gotten use to it. It is nice that it will never keep pinging off the rev limiter.

Best ET 13.4260
Best 60FT 1.9782
Best MPH 105.43
No modification needed
Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecht55 View Post
You only get to shift if you're going slow. If you have WOT it will shift when it wants, doesn't matter if you tell it to or not.
Not true. You either don't understand the Autostick or there is something wrong with your shifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.