8 speed transmission recall/TSB? - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Models (2011 - Up) > Charger Problems/Assistance (2011 +)

Charger Problems/Assistance (2011 +) You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
KWG 2012SXT

8 speed transmission recall/TSB?

Anyone else get some paperwork for this? I'm just curious as to what it's for, if I can expect any differences etc. I've never had a complaint about the transmission so I'm a little curious about it. Dealer called it a recall however it's listed as a TSB, am I missing something?

Make : DODGE Model : CHARGER Year : 2012
Manufacturer : Chrysler Group LLC
Service Bulletin Number : SB-21-007-12 Date of Bulletin : MAR 08, 2012
NHTSA Item Number : 10044176
Component : POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM)
KWG 2012SXT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
370 HEMI
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWG 2012SXT View Post
Anyone else get some paperwork for this? I'm just curious as to what it's for, if I can expect any differences etc. I've never had a complaint about the transmission so I'm a little curious about it. Dealer called it a recall however it's listed as a TSB, am I missing something?

I checked NHTSA on the "recall" and it is not a recall that I can find.

There are 8 recalls on 2012 Chargers, but none of them are for this.

It must be a voluntary campaign that isn't technically a recall. I had a voluntary campaign on my 2011 Grand Caravan R/T and they mentioned a free repair/replacement as part of a quality campaign.

This is probably one of those. Basically get it done before it becomes wide spread and becomes a mandatory recall.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

More Power, More Torque, Better MPGs - It's "Rocket Fuel For Your Car"

Custom Designed & Custom Blended "ALWAYS beats off the shelf brands"

Better cooling, better protection without all "The Gunk"
370 HEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
UN4GTBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370 HEMI View Post
I checked NHTSA on the "recall" and it is not a recall that I can find.

There are 8 recalls on 2012 Chargers, but none of them are for this.

It must be a voluntary campaign that isn't technically a recall. I had a voluntary campaign on my 2011 Grand Caravan R/T and they mentioned a free repair/replacement as part of a quality campaign.

This is probably one of those. Basically get it done before it becomes wide spread and becomes a mandatory recall.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com
What was the work on the Grand Caravan?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
DodgeCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWG 2012SXT View Post

KWG,

Its a software update. It is a service bulletin not a recall. Copy below.

NUMBER: 21-007-12
GROUP: Transmission and
Transfer Case
DATE: March 08, 201

SUBJECT:
Flash: Launch Shudder And/Or MIL Illumination And/Or Harsh Shifts With Transmission
Operation Improvements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves flash reprogramming the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and
the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.
NOTE: Both modules must be updated for all changes to be implemented. Refer to
the “Symptoms/Conditions” for a detailed description of the changes.
MODELS:
2012 (LD) Charger
2012 (LX) 300
NOTE: This Service Bulletin applies to vehicles built with 3.6L engine (sales code
ERB) with a 8 speed automatic transmission (sales code DFG) built before
January 17, 2012 (MDH 0117XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may experience transmission shift, engagement, shudder or operation
concerns. Refer to Transmission section below for details. Customers may also notice a
MIL illumination. Upon further investigation by the Technician any of the following DTC's
may be set:
MIL
i. P0441 - Evap Purge System Performance.
ii. P0420 - Catalyst Efficiency (Bank 1).
iii. P0430 - Catalyst Efficiency (Bank2).
iv. P0133 - O2 Sensor 1/1 Slow Response.
v. P0153 - O2 Sensor 2/1 Slow Response.
vi. P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire.
vii. P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire.
viii.P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire.
ix. P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire.
x. P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire.
xi. P0305 - Cylinder 5 Misfire.
xii. P0306 - Cylinder 6 Misfire.
xiii.P113D - O2 Sensor 1/1 Slow Response (High Frequency).
xiv.P113E - O2 Sensor 2/1 Slow Response (High Frequency).
xv. P0128 - Thermostat Rationality.
Transmission:
i. Paddle shifting stops working until ignition is cycled. This can happen with a lot of
aggressive paddle shifting in low gears. The transmission calculates the clutches are
getting hot and will disables paddle shifting until key off event. The software has
been changed to bring back the paddle shifting function as soon as clutch
temperatures are reduced. The cluster will also provide a message to the driver that
informs them the paddle function is disabled.
ii. Vehicle will not stay in Sport mode. This happens whenever the vehicle is shifted out
of drive. The updated software keeps the vehicle in sport mode until the driver
deselects the sport mode or the ignition is cycled.
iii. Launch shudder. This condition happens when the vehicle is started and
immediately shifted in drive and 15% or more throttle is applied.
iv. 1 - 2 or 2 - 3 upshift bump in cold temperatures between -22° F (-30° C) and 50° F
(10° C).
v. 2 - 3 upshift bump. This condition occurs when the driver lifts their foot off the
accelerator pedal right before the transmission perform the 2 - 3 upshift.
vi. 3 - 2 downshift bump. This condition happens during light braking or coasting down
with no throttle input.
vii. 7 - 6 downshift bump. This condition happens during light braking or coasting down
with no throttle input

U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
DodgeCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
xtwo007

Angry The 845RE wont have this problem

This is interesting - I have a 2013 and some of the issues mentioned towards the end of the post in regards to the transmission "bumps", so it appears the programming update doesn't help much. Drives you crazy once you hear it... spent a fair amount of time tracking it down myself.

More interestingly, Chrysler's version of the ZF 8HP45 transmission (the 845RE, to be manufactured in the Kokomo, IN plant) should start rolling out in Chargers later this year or next. Among fitment updates, their design will include EXTRA FRICTION PLATES IN THE CLUTCHES, for "improved performance," which I'm now realizing was implemented to remedy the above problems!!

Since early adopters are stuck with the German-made transmission, my question is what are the long-term wear implications... its my understanding that this tranny is only semi-serviceable here. Wonder if the new ones will fit our vehicles

Last edited by xtwo007; 02-06-2013 at 10:14 AM.
xtwo007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
FJP

Posted this over on the 300 forums last week where others have the same problem...

Where do I begin? Same issue, but mine has a "clunk" along with the hard downshift. 6 months ago, took it in. Dealer agreed there is a problem. Could not find the cause. Elevated it to Chrysler's Tech Center. Nothing happens. Took it to a second dealer. They hear it, and say it's normal. Read about many others on multiple forums with same condition. Months past. Second dealer calls last week, says ZF transmission people need to see my car. They want to travel 800 miles to evaluate it. OK, take car to dealership. Car sits at dealership for 5 days waiting for ZF people to arrive. They don't. Keep saying they will be there the next day. Nothing. Finally give up, pick the car up after 5 days. No loaner was ever offered. Two days later, get a call, dealer says ZF people here. No notice, just show up. Interrupt my dinner and bring the car back up yet again. Take ZF transmission guy for a drive. Yep, "something's not right there", he says. We take it back, he puts it up on the rack. Says "it's not our transmission, it's the car". Dealer says, "nope, it's not the car must be the transmission". ZF guy takes some data and travels 11 hours back to his headquarters after spending two hours here. Next day, a manager from Chrysler headquarters calls. This genius says "sorry, we won't fix your car". I say, I didn't ask you too, YOU called me and asked me to bring my car to the dealer so ZF can look at it. I did this as a FAVOR to you, get it? Now, you call and tell me there's nothing you will do for me? What part about this am I missing? I was home minding my own business when I get a call, my car sits for 5 days while a technician travels from S. Carolina to PA to see my car, admits a problem and then leaves. Dealer #2 wants nothing to do with it. Chrysler manager suggest that I take it to yet another dealership. What? Finally tell him that Chrysler customer service is atrocious, not to mention insulting and I hang up. I'm still where I was at the beginning. End of story. End of Chrysler's for me.

Last edited by FJP; 02-06-2013 at 10:12 AM.
FJP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
KWG 2012SXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJP View Post
Posted this over on the 300 forums last week where others have the same problem...

Where do I begin? Same issue, but mine has a "clunk" along with the hard downshift. 6 months ago, took it in. Dealer agreed there is a problem. Could not find the cause. Elevated it to Chrysler's Tech Center. Nothing happens. Took it to a second dealer. They hear it, and say it's normal. Read about many others on multiple forums with same condition. Months past. Second dealer calls last week, says ZF transmission people need to see my car. They want to travel 800 miles to evaluate it. OK, take car to dealership. Car sits at dealership for 5 days waiting for ZF people to arrive. They don't. Keep saying they will be there the next day. Nothing. Finally give up, pick the car up after 5 days. No loaner was ever offered. Two days later, get a call, dealer says ZF people here. No notice, just show up. Interrupt my dinner and bring the car back up yet again. Take ZF transmission guy for a drive. Yep, "something's not right there", he says. We take it back, he puts it up on the rack. Says "it's not our transmission, it's the car". Dealer says, "nope, it's not the car must be the transmission". ZF guy takes some data and travels 11 hours back to his headquarters after spending two hours here. Next day, a manager from Chrysler headquarters calls. This genius says "sorry, we won't fix your car". I say, I didn't ask you too, YOU called me and asked me to bring my car to the dealer so ZF can look at it. I did this as a FAVOR to you, get it? Now, you call and tell me there's nothing you will do for me? What part about this am I missing? I was home minding my own business when I get a call, my car sits for 5 days while a technician travels from S. Carolina to PA to see my car, admits a problem and then leaves. Dealer #2 wants nothing to do with it. Chrysler manager suggest that I take it to yet another dealership. What? Finally tell him that Chrysler customer service is atrocious, not to mention insulting and I hang up. I'm still where I was at the beginning. End of story. End of Chrysler's for me.
Dealership and customer service issues aside, I don't think the harshness is a "problem" as is claimed by many. Every 6cyl w/ the 8 speed has a slightly harsh downshift as you're describing based from what I hear and what I've driven(and I drove probably about 4-5 of them before buying). Clunking however? I haven't experienced that and could very well be an issue. This being said I don't understand why people are buying the car if it they didn't like how it shifted. I had the above service done and it's a slight change but not drastic however I expected it to operate this way, as that's how it was when I tested them.

I would just be patient and see what happens. If you honestly believe other car companies are going to offer much better customer service I have some bad news for you. Google "Si transmission problems." Honda Si owners were picketing outside of dealerships and the company didn't do squat.

Last edited by KWG 2012SXT; 02-07-2013 at 05:49 PM.
KWG 2012SXT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
FJP

8 speed transmission recall/TSB?

Didn't really notice the problem until a few days after I purchased the car. The shifting I can live with, it's the constant "clunk" associated with it that's the problem for me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
FJP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
xtwo007

Anyone have any luck in getting this resolved? Mine appears to be getting worse, louder clunk and now jolting the car forward while lightly breaking- a little disheartening. Seems like 4-3 downshift and 2-1, I think someone mentioned these same points as well. Was hoping it got better in time

Last edited by xtwo007; 03-21-2013 at 10:14 AM.
xtwo007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
iamstubb

Didn't notice much after the software update, but the vehicle was going smoothly beforehand. I think anything that ws different was due to the resetting of the PCM. Seems to be working well and no "clunk" yet. But my other vehicle is a big clunky V8 SUV so maybe it is a matter of perspective. Compared to that mine is smooth as silk. I have looked for it a bit. Maybe there is a bit of a 3/2 downshift feel, but hardly a clunk. I think the change in friction parts etc. going into the US manufactured 8 spd are there to match it up with the Hemi in future models. Can't remember where I read that, though.
Interior: OEM Rearview Camera
JBL GTO3EZ/504 Amps /PAC Audio C2A-CHY5 HU Adapter/MiniDSP 2x4 Sound Processors
Infinity Reference 3032 Dash 3.5"
Infinity Reference 9632 Door/Rear Deck 6x9"
Infinity Reference 1062W 10" sealed sub
iamstubb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Models (2011 - Up) > Charger Problems/Assistance (2011 +)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List