another header post - Dodge Charger Forums
Performance Discussion/Modifications Discuss any performance modification in this section.

#1 Old 11-15-2012, 04:35 PM
madmike1210

Send a message via Skype™ to madmike1210
(Thread Starter)
another header post

ok so i am in the market to purchase some headers for my 5.7.
i know that either shortys or longtubes will gain over stock but is it really worth it to buy long tubes? and does brand really matter? i need help in making a choice to buy some

2007 sublime #0448 of 1500

K&N cai , Diablosport Intune, 180 Tstat. Flowmaster American Thunder. more mods to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 PM
BlackDevil

I think most people either go kooks longtubes or jba shorties. I don't know which one will give you a reach around better but reviews are mixed it seems. While your chuckin money for headers get some SLP Loudmouths.
#3 Old 11-15-2012, 11:04 PM
Ddaddy
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
Short tube SRT headers and a Corsa cat-back for the best gains.

Long tubes are for very high speeds and they lose power at the low end..which is where you really want it to be experiencing gains.

Do a little searching and you will find this same opinion.

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
#4 Old 11-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Moebius

^^??

Long tube headers increase HP / TQ across the rpm range, more in the lower end. Shorties IMO are a waste of money as they are not tuned to resonate anywhere within the rpm range.

It has been shown over and over now that SRT or aftermarket shorties gain precious little over even the cast iron manifolds. There is no discernable difference between SRT and aftermarket shorty headers. Kinda like machined throttle bodies...it's all about the hype and sucking in unsuspecting buyers based on purported gains that are simply not there. Those who have properly controlled the variables that can account for upwards of 20/20 on a dyno without(!) changing a blessed thing...can tell you.

It's a whole lot of work and expense for such miniscule gain, so ask around until you get the straight goods.

Last edited by Moebius; 11-16-2012 at 08:34 AM.
#5 Old 11-17-2012, 06:10 AM
joey0480

Shorties are a waste. Don't bother. You gain a little bit and sound...that is it.
If you are doing this, go all out and get LTs....there is gain across the bands (possible a little loss at the bottom end)...they move the cats back (if you keep em or go hi flows) farther so they don't heat up as quick.

If you plan on keeping the car, get something like Kooks. With that said, I have see guys getting the same numbers on 400 stainless works compared to 1200 ARH (on my Camaro ss)
#6 Old 11-20-2012, 11:11 AM
10 Sec Bird

Long Tubes are the best and below is the best deal on the market as I just bought a set and they came with the o2 extensions and everything needed for install.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...&highlight=jba
#7 Old 11-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Galvatron-SX

I personally knocked 3 tenths off my 1/4 mile with long tubes, so I'm definitely pleased with them. However, with long tubes, it's very probable that you'll trigger a CEL and if you're lowered, you might scrape them a little. So there are things to take into consideration when choosing your headers.

We're offering free shipping on the Kooks products until the 24th, but we also carry Stainless Works, JBA and a few others. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!!
#8 Old 11-20-2012, 03:08 PM
madmike1210

Send a message via Skype™ to madmike1210
(Thread Starter)
ok so what is the difference in brands, i mean are kooks really better then jba or bbk etc? or are you paying for the name
#9 Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 PM
10 Sec Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike1210 View Post
ok so what is the difference in brands, i mean are kooks really better then jba or bbk etc? or are you paying for the name
I ordered the JBA as I wanted the Ceramic coating as the underhood temps are much lower than bare stainless. I was looking at Kooks but they charged extra for o2 extensions and the JBA Long Tubes just fit my bill perfectly. JBA is a great brand that has been around for many years. They are owned by the same company that owns and builds Doug's headers and my father has had Doug's on his car for over 20 years.
#10 Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 AM
dwhip

The stock 5.7 exhaust manifolds are so restrictive that short or longtube headers with highflow or catless mids will give u a good gain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List