Washing at Self-service, coin operated, Car Wash (gulp!) - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications > Detailing/Washing/Waxing

Detailing/Washing/Waxing If you would like to discuss keeping your ride looking as good as it did when it rolled off the assembly line, this is the place to do it.
Sponsored by Mothers Polishes

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:18 AM

Washing at Self-service, coin operated, Car Wash (gulp!)

After watching the Junkman's videos I feel like a complete retard for ever doing this. However, I live in an apartment, do not have access to a garage, and the most convenient way to wash my ride is in these drive-up car-washes.

Is this a total no-no? On my defense, before I use the foaming brush I pressure wash it with soap. Any suggestions?? I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation...

Also, from watching Junkman's videos, it seems like the foaming you do before you scrub is almost the same thing as the Triple-Foam conditioner on these car washes? Is this correct? Or am I way off in left field?

Last question, is it important to use hot or warm water in your washes? or does that not matter? Because I'm thinking I could probably get a hold of a garden hose somewhere to do the two-bucket method, but it's probably just cold water (or room temperature, I live in Louisiana so it doesn't really get that cold down here).

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SRT Frost 2012 Send a message via Yahoo to SRT Frost 2012 Send a message via Skype™ to SRT Frost 2012
Don't feel bad I'm in pretty much the same boat. I live in a studio so no covered parking and trees all around the car... No access to a garage or a place to hand wash it. All hand wash places around me use cloth to dry... All in all my car has the spider web effect going on. I'm to the point I may just end up dipping my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Old 11-05-2012, 09:25 AM

My Charger: 2013 Granite Grey R/T
I use a pre-soak with the pressure wand and let that sit for a couple of minutes to loosen up the dirt. I'll then hit it with the high pressure wash, rinse it and finish it with a spot free rinse. Drying occurs on the 4 mile ride home on the highway (I basically go around the block using the highway). In 50-60 degree weather the car dries pretty much completely by the time I get it home. The only time I'm physically touching the car is if I wax it.

I'm not a detailer but it seems to me that the biggest evil in some of those coin operated wash bays is the foaming brush. I never use one since Jim Bob with his mudded up 4x4 has deposited tons of dirt in the brush that will easily scratch up my paint. Thankfully I don't have a finish that shows scratches easily. My wife's black Chally is a nightmare on the other hand since it doesn't even have a pearl coat to hide the most minute surface imperfections.

As far as water temp when doing it at home, I wouldn't worry too much. Whatever comes out of the tap should be OK. I'm sure Junkman will stop by and comment if there's anything that doesn't make sense.

Last edited by Hazmat11; 11-05-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:44 AM

SRT Frost, what do you mean by dipping?? lol...

Hazmat, yes, you're absolutely right, I have only used that brush once on my white '13, but never again.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 AM

I have a 2-car garage, but park in the driveway all year. U MAD?

(My name is Mike) Black 06 R/T, Black BOSS 338s, smoked LED tails, AAC Dual Halo (red/blue), AEM Brute CAI, BBK 85MM TB, Predator 91 CAI tune, 180 t-stat, TranZformer Shift Kit, ACES IV, BT Catch-can, Borla 125, JBA catless mids, (Eibach Anti-roll kit, and SLP underdrive pulley waiting for install) custom front emblem, Danko chin, Danko 345Hemi badges, 2" cowl ram air hood with pins // (stereo equip) Nation's 290amp alternator, 2000w Alpine amp, 200w & 400w mid amps, Memphis 6x9s, 2x Kicker 12" L7s, Rockford Fosgate hybrid cap
-machine gun turret sold separately
Old 11-05-2012, 10:03 AM

Hahaha , at least you have a driveway... the garage is mostly just to keep all your gear. Sure wish I had a place I could hook up my own vacuum and all the washing accessories like the Junkman.

Doesn't bother me so much since at work I park at a covered garage, so most of the day the sun or other elements won't hit it.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:11 AM

My Charger: 2008 Charger SXT
Send a message via AIM to Stumblin Steve
I was in your shoes when I first bought my car I was in an apartment complex that had no access to a hose. So I went to my brother's house or my parent's to wash and detail my car, pain in the ass but beat having to rush around with $10 and get the car clean before the time runs out.
Join the Photoshop/Artist Group! Silver Chargers!!! & Virginia Chargers
Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 AM

My Charger: 2013 Granite Grey R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBear View Post

Hazmat, yes, you're absolutely right, I have only used that brush once on my white '13, but never again.
Yeah man. That thing is a scratch magnet waiting to happen. Considering how many people like to go four wheeling where I live, it's hard to even find a bay where you don't have to wash your car over three inches of caked mud.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to SRT Frost 2012 Send a message via Yahoo to SRT Frost 2012 Send a message via Skype™ to SRT Frost 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBear View Post

Plastidip.... Dipping the whole car. It's easier and cheaper to repair dip than paint, and wraps.

Www.dipyourcar.com

Was thinking to go Matte white the. A neon green over it then removing while masking off the front grill area and the scallops

Still debating... No point polishing as it will be right back where it is now after a couple of months

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Old 11-05-2012, 01:17 PM

i use these car wahses for 3 years and never had a problem.. choose wisely

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications > Detailing/Washing/Waxing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.