Wax,Glaze,Sealant - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications > Detailing/Washing/Waxing

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:06 AM
Supporting Member

Wax,Glaze,Sealant

What order should I do these in?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Modern Muscle ported throttle body
Throttle body ground cable
BT oil catch can
Predator tuner on 93 tune & 93 OCT
Aces IV
BND 75w-120 Red gear Lube
BND steering Lube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 12:08 PM

sealant, glaze, wax ....however unless your car is black, you can go, sealant, wax, then detail spray.

www.autogeeks.net check them out
Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2006 RT w/ R&T
This video by Junkman explains it all
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...d.php?t=159387

How do I.... EVERYTHING!
Old 11-05-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXT 6 View Post
What order should I do these in?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
I'm very curious to know WHY you want to use all three and whether or not you know the purpose of each?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
I'm very curious to know WHY you want to use all three and whether or not you know the purpose of each?
I'll bring this thread back from a brief rest. Please enlighten us (me). I dont normally use a glaze. Normally just polish and wax with detailing spray when necessary. Apologies for high-jacking the thread but this is something I would like to know.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONWORK View Post
I'll bring this thread back from a brief rest. Please enlighten us (me). I dont normally use a glaze. Normally just polish and wax with detailing spray when necessary. Apologies for high-jacking the thread but this is something I would like to know.
Definition...

Glaze - a product that is used to HIDE paint imperfections. It does NOTHING to repair paint and it provides NO protection from the elements. It is a lazy man's way to fix paint. Professional detailers use this stuff to get the job done fast with the least amount of work. The problem with glaze is it eventually washes off and exposes all the paint damage that was never removed.

Sealant - the longest lasting type of wax that you can use. It can contain fillers like a glaze, but it is very different from a glaze in that it has to cure (or bond to the paint). This curing process can take anywhere from 12-36 hours depending on the brand you use. Until the curing process is complete, you do not want to drive or wash the car. When you count the curing time, it makes applying a sealant the longest protection process to complete.

Wax - A wax can be any type of protection that you apply to paint. There are sealant waxes, carnuba paste waxes and other man made waxes. A wax is nothing more than protection, and people who apply waxes because they think that it is going to make their paint look different have no clue what polishing is for. That's why I made this video. If you are trying to achieve a certain look by the waxes that you are using, you need to go back to square one and learn all about detailing chemicals again. Wax is for protecting paint. POLISH is for fixing paint and achieving the shine that you want your paint to exhibit.

Personally, I use a sealant (which must ALWAYS be put on first as it has to bond to the paint), and then I follow that with a carnuba paste. The REASON that I do this is to double up the amount of protection on my paint. I could do 2 coats of sealant, but if you include the curing time, it would take me a week to wax my car. I don't want to have to wait that long so I do a sealant first and after the sealant has cured, I follow that with a carnuba paste because it practically wipes on and wipes right off. There is no waiting for it to dry of anything like that. That means that I can get my wax process completed in around 3 days.

That's why I do what I do. Anyone else should have a reason WHY they do what they do. The problem is, most people do what they are doing because they think it makes their paint look better. If it does, then they have NOT polished their paint to perfection and thus are going at it all wrong as far as I'm concerned. But hey, not everyone is as anal about paint as I am.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 11-12-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:32 PM

Very, very informative. Thank you for the clarification. All that being said, I would ber interested to see what your personal brand preferences are as far as waxes and sealants.

Thanks again.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 11-12-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONWORK View Post
Very, very informative. Thank you for the clarification. All that being said, I would ber interested to see what your personal brand preferences are as far as waxes and sealants.

Thanks again.
Right now my regiment consist of Hi Temp's Midnight Express Wax/Polymer Sealant followed by Collinite's Super Doublecoat Carnuba Paste Wax. Both products can be found for $20 each, which makes them very affordable when you look at how little product is necessary when applying. There is absolutely no need to break your bank when protecting your paint as some manufacturers would want you to believe.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:09 PM

My Charger: 2010 3.5L SXT V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Right now my regiment consist of Hi Temp's Midnight Express Wax/Polymer Sealant followed by Collinite's Super Doublecoat Carnuba Paste Wax. Both products can be found for $20 each, which makes them very affordable when you look at how little product is necessary when applying. There is absolutely no need to break your bank when protecting your paint as some manufacturers would want you to believe.
I just purchased the Collinite wax you use! Thanks Junk for all that you in helping us maintain and improve the exterior of our Chargers!

Carpe Diem
MOPAR STAGE 2 COILOVERS AND SWAY BARS
6000K HIDS HEADLIGHTS AND FOGLIGHTS
LUMINX CCFL HALO HEADLIGHTS AND TAILLIGHTS
BILLET TECHNOLOGY NOSE BADGE
Old 11-13-2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGcharger View Post
I just purchased the Collinite wax you use! Thanks Junk for all that you in helping us maintain and improve the exterior of our Chargers!

Carpe Diem
The pleasure is mine.
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications > Detailing/Washing/Waxing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.