hyundai and kia slammed by EPA for cheating on MPG ratings - Dodge Charger Forums
Off-Topic Anything not Charger-related having legitimate subject matter goes here, as long as it is work-safe. **Please post ALL social & 'just for fun' threads in Charger Chat ONLY!**

#1 Old 11-03-2012, 05:05 PM
xkm121

(Thread Starter)
hyundai and kia slammed by EPA for cheating on MPG ratings

http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-hy...or-286177.html

I am really amused to see this. Since some of my hyundai driving friends constantly make fun of my v6's fuel economy. Well, looks like theirs are fake after all

Bitten By Mod Bug Again

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic43010_3.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Ddaddy
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
Mud on the face of Hyundai/Kia for sure.

However, their liability isn't too severe. If you figure this only affects 2001 and 2012 cars, and the actual difference in combined MPG is about 7% (on average 1-2 mpg) their total exposure is about $130 per vehicle sold. With 900,000 vehicle affected, they are out $11 million total if they extend their gas card compensation back to the date of purchase. If they extend it out to the normal life of the purchase, the cost will grow to nearly $70 million. If they extend it to 10 years, it's $160 million. (I doubt they will extend it past the current date, in any event)

Considering they made approximately $2.6 billion on the sales of those cars, they aren't taking too big of a hit.

And BTW, they still get some of the best MPG in class even after the revised numbers.

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
#3 Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 AM
lowriderman3

They will just increase the cost of the cars now to dealers by a few hundred $$ to recoupe any losses. Easy enough.

"They Were Just Jealous That My Charger Pulled More Kitties Than A Bowl Of Milk"
#4 Old 11-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Part Deux
Super Moderator

Who'd thunk anybody would cheat at self reporting mpg details?

Driving cycle rules are pretty loose anyway, with substantial tolerances allowed. More enterprising OEM's will bend the tolerances right up to the limit. And some will cross the line.

Did you know that - Thread
How do I everything - Thread

aka THO.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Stoned Charger View Post
I have a name for the 3 new mods...............Druken Purple Pirates!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona606 View Post
American Muscle, like a pit bull. Big but not large, well defined, explosive power, in it till the end. The cat will give it go and zig and zag, but in the end the pit bull will always catch the cat the outcome is never good for the cat.
#5 Old 11-04-2012, 10:55 PM
POWERMAN

They've been selling cars like hot cakes..what with 0% financing for 84 months..

雨降って地固まる
#6 Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Stumblin Steve

HA!

So what was that again about Hyundai and Kia stepping up their game?

Just your friendly neighborhood...Charger
'08 SXT Bright Silver. Dark slate interior. OEM MOPAR pedals/hood struts/CAI/Chin Spoiler. R/T true dual exhaust w/ Magnaflow tips. SRT8 rear diffuser. Predator 93 Tune. Lots of B.T. Stuff!
Comprehensive V6 Performance Thread
Join the Photoshop/Artist Group! Silver Chargers!!! & Virginia Chargers
#7 Old 11-05-2012, 08:52 AM
rsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblin Steve View Post
HA!

So what was that again about Hyundai and Kia stepping up their game?
At least hyundai constantly looks for ways to improve. Whats chrysler got? A 6.4l with less than 500hp and priced at $50k while sporting an outdated mercedes transmission. A 3.6l that has no balls still while ford and chevy are making v6's with that running 14's in the quarter. Hell even the hyundai V6 has more ballz than the pentastar engine.

13.84@101 mph Gainesville Raceway
#8 Old 11-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Stumblin Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsoto80 View Post
At least hyundai constantly looks for ways to improve. Whats chrysler got? A 6.4l with less than 500hp and priced at $50k while sporting an outdated mercedes transmission. A 3.6l that has no balls still while ford and chevy are making v6's with that running 14's in the quarter. Hell even the hyundai V6 has more ballz than the pentastar engine.
Cars are still ugly as hell

If they perform better, good for them. I don't race so I don't really care about that aspect that doesn't effect my car buying, majority of people look for MPGs anyway not high performance.
Also, from what I've looked up Hyundai Sonata and the Azera is in the high 14 or low 15 second range, so how are they better again?
#9 Old 11-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Hemi_Infantry

Fired their CEOs and shut down all of their plants.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(My name is Mike) Black 06 R/T, Black BOSS 338s, smoked LED tails, AAC Dual Halo (red/blue), AEM Brute CAI, BBK 85MM TB, Predator 91 CAI tune, 180 t-stat, TranZformer Shift Kit, ACES IV, BT Catch-can, Borla 125, JBA catless mids, (Eibach Anti-roll kit, and SLP underdrive pulley waiting for install) custom front emblem, Danko chin, Danko 345Hemi badges, 2" cowl ram air hood with pins // (stereo equip) Nation's 290amp alternator, 2000w Alpine amp, 200w & 400w mid amps, Memphis 6x9s, 2x Kicker 12" L7s, Rockford Fosgate hybrid cap
-machine gun turret sold separately
#10 Old 11-05-2012, 03:17 PM
AFPVet

Direct injection and vvt have turned a lot of turds into efficient, spunky 6 bangers. If only Dodge could put DI into their cars... at least they have vvt, and now, the 8 speed. They still need to catch up though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List