Should I get the 2012 Charger - Dodge Charger Forums
General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

#1 Old 09-19-2012, 02:25 AM
rayw914

(Thread Starter)
Should I get the 2012 Charger

Hi guys,
I'm interested in the 2012 Charager SE and possibly SXT. I was wondering if there are any known problems that often arise with the Charger. I plan to drive my next car for about ten years so I do want something solid and reliable. I've heard of Dodge's infamous reputation for reliability but it seems like Chrysler's been making a lot of improvements in the past few years. I haven't decided whether to get the 8 speed or 5 speed. I really dislike the look of the 8 speed shifter and it's pretty awkward when shifting into R or D. It is honestly enough to make me want the 5 speed haha. And since the 8 speed is pretty new, I'm afraid it might have some problems in the future? Any info is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Can You HEMI

Send a message via Skype™ to Can You HEMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayw914 View Post
Hi guys,
I'm interested in the 2012 Charager SE and possibly SXT. I was wondering if there are any known problems that often arise with the Charger. I plan to drive my next car for about ten years so I do want something solid and reliable. I've heard of Dodge's infamous reputation for reliability but it seems like Chrysler's been making a lot of improvements in the past few years. I haven't decided whether to get the 8 speed or 5 speed. I really dislike the look of the 8 speed shifter and it's pretty awkward when shifting into R or D. It is honestly enough to make me want the 5 speed haha. And since the 8 speed is pretty new, I'm afraid it might have some problems in the future? Any info is greatly appreciated!
Get a '12-'13 R/T (problem solved)

2012 black on black (Charger R/T+ plus) Flowmaster Super 10 Series Mufflers*Volant CAI with Donaldson's® PowerCore® Dry Filter*STP Grill*Mopar Chin Spoiler

#3 Old 09-19-2012, 09:51 AM
SXTPLUS

Quote:
Hi guys,
I have the 2012 SXT Plus with the 8 speed and paddle shifters. I haven't had any issues with mine and so far I have 10K on her. There is a quick learning curve with the shifter, but I actually like it! The trans is very smooth! Do some research on the ZF transmission, it might change your mind..

#4 Old 09-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Stevens12

I'd recommend the 12-13. The 8-speed is pretty solid and quite frankly I haven't read of any problems with it across 3 separate forums. Mileage overall is really good too.

Very interesting read
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews..._introduction/

Current 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8
Traded 2012 Dodge Charger R/T AWD
#5 Old 09-19-2012, 04:16 PM
rayw914

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the responses guys. V8's out of my budget and also because of insurance haha. Any other common problems besides tie rods? And also, are there any changes in the 2013 Chargers? I might consider that if it means they smoothed out any kinks with the 2012s.
#6 Old 09-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Stevens12

The kinks were in the 2011's... which was the first year for the model change. 2012-13 are basically the same with only an exterior color change issue.

I've been on the site for a little while and quite frankly.. the 2011's had some issues but for the most part dealers were able to fix them so it's not an issue anymore.. and the 2012-13's have the updates. There's not 1 major issue going on with these cars, they seem to be all random issues for random cars. So to say there's an issue that stands out with these cars would be none really.

Good luck on the search.
#7 Old 09-19-2012, 10:38 PM
rayw914

(Thread Starter)
Awesome thanks. Hopefully I'll find a good deal on one soon.
#8 Old 09-20-2012, 07:26 AM
michiganpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens12 View Post
The kinks were in the 2011's... which was the first year for the model change. 2012-13 are basically the same with only an exterior color change issue.

I've been on the site for a little while and quite frankly.. the 2011's had some issues but for the most part dealers were able to fix them so it's not an issue anymore.. and the 2012-13's have the updates. There's not 1 major issue going on with these cars, they seem to be all random issues for random cars. So to say there's an issue that stands out with these cars would be none really.

Good luck on the search.
the only major issue that seems widespread on '11's is door handles....my late build 2011 (built july 2011) didn't have the issue.

my '11 R/T I bought brand new on new years eve 2011 for $28k out the door ($26100 before TTL) on a $34300 sticker. watch deals, and autotrader.com....don't be afraid to travel. I drove 175 miles each way for the deal on my car (part of it was there were very few Toxic orange chargers on the lots here)...insurance for me (I'm 37) is just under $1000/yr.

I had one issue, where a valve body support bracket broke in the tranny, covered under warranty. according to my dealer, this is the 4th NAG1 they've personally seen this problem on since the LX's were introduced in 2005, the other 3 being police cars.

'11 Toxic Orange Charger R/T
'06 Dodge Grand Caravan
'76 Plymouth Duster
#9 Old 09-20-2012, 08:42 AM
DodgeCares

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys. V8's out of my budget and also because of insurance haha. Any other common problems besides tie rods? And also, are there any changes in the 2013 Chargers? I might consider that if it means they smoothed out any kinks with the 2012s.

Ray,

You will probably be able to get a much better deal on a 2012 right now than a 2013 assuming you can find one with the options you want. The more flexible you are on the options more than likely the better deal you will get as dealers try to move out the 2012 models to make way for the 2013's.

Regina

U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
#10 Old 09-21-2012, 05:10 AM
rayw914

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeCares View Post
Ray,

You will probably be able to get a much better deal on a 2012 right now than a 2013 assuming you can find one with the options you want. The more flexible you are on the options more than likely the better deal you will get as dealers try to move out the 2012 models to make way for the 2013's.
Yeah I've decided to just stick with looking for 2012 models now.

I have one more question about the transmission though. I know everyone says that the 8 speed is way better than the 5 and that there haven't been any problems with them, but, I'm still kind of concerned about them since it's all electronic and there's no mechanical connection from the shifter to the transmission. I guess I'm just scared that it could be more prone to malfunctioning or breaking? Plus, I'm seeing some 5 speeds for 21k so it's kind of tempting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List