Please Explain Gearing (Rear End) - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Vito's Avatar
Vito Vito is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 6,130
Send a message via AIM to Vito
Please Explain Gearing (Rear End)

i am pretty much clueless when it comes to rear diffs and what gearing fits for faster track times and what turns a car into a highway monster.


Can some one please explain in depth about the different ratios out there and the benefits you gain from them. on the track and on the street,

also pricing and links would be appreciated too.

look forward to hearing some feedback

thanks
__________________

I really Hate Mustangs, Especially Cobras
True||Street||Cars
1000+ RWHP Twin Turbo SRT-8 In The Making
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-16-2012, 08:52 PM
CHARGERTREV's Avatar
CHARGERTREV CHARGERTREV is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: THE KING OF DE
Posts: 9,738
The specifics? I feel I know them but would have a hard time putting into words. More or less the higher the gear the faster you will get 0-whatever, my 3.73's are a VISIOUS gear on the street from a 40 roll, I kick it down into 2nd, pedal the car slam 3rd and spin and hook mid-way through. Now if I went with 4.10s I could bring it up too 3800 and drop the clutch and roll out harder in the 1/4. Im not sure if this helps in the least..
__________________
2007 Charger - SOLD

2012 Mustang 3.7 - SRT Killer

1995 Honda Civic - Daily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-16-2012, 09:03 PM
PlumCrazyDaytona's Avatar
PlumCrazyDaytona PlumCrazyDaytona is online now
Senior Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Outside Fargo, ND
Posts: 7,738
Send a message via MSN to PlumCrazyDaytona Send a message via Yahoo to PlumCrazyDaytona
Our cars came stock with 2.82 gears, monster highway cruising gear that will provide a top speed of 170 or so....Stomp the peddle at 40 and as you know its a little flat

Now move up to my 3.92 gears and stomp the peddle at 40 it downshifts and grabs second gear at 3500 rpms or so and just screams!!! NOw my top end is reduced to 130 or so, I shift out of first right around 34mph.

For flat our acceleration the bigger the number the better it will accelerate, think torque multiplication, but there is a limit
__________________
6.1 Intake manifold,SRT MAX cam on 112lsa, CNC Inertia Heads milled,mopar TCM,blue tops, 3000 Edge converter 3.91 Getrag, Kooks LongTubes, catless mids and SLP Loud Mouth II, powerbond undrive pulley, 170 tstat, , R1 crossdrilled/slotted rotors, HAWK Pads,eibach lowering springs,dampners,sways mopar strut braces, razors edge sub frame connectors #157 of 1400 ACES IV Quantum Blue Lubricants PB 1/4 12.38@110.66
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...2-12-13-01.mp4
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...=VIDEO0010.mp4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 09-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Ddaddy's Avatar
Ddaddy Ddaddy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Philly PA
Posts: 10,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumCrazyDaytona View Post
Our cars came stock with 2.82 gears, monster highway cruising gear that will provide a top speed of 170 or so....Stomp the peddle at 40 and as you know its a little flat

Now move up to my 3.92 gears and stomp the peddle at 40 it downshifts and grabs second gear at 3500 rpms or so and just screams!!! NOw my top end is reduced to 130 or so, I shift out of first right around 34mph.

For flat our acceleration the bigger the number the better it will accelerate, think torque multiplication, but there is a limit
The stock SRT gears are 3.06 on mine and Vito's car. But the rest of what you stated is right. Taller gears means grabbing higher RPM at any given speed and it means moving up in the HP and torque curve faster than stock. That means more power at any given speed. A 3.92 onthe street is a monster and hard to keep traction with the power of an SRT...but I suspect that's what Vito wants.

Add a 3000 RPM stall converter and you can power brake the snot out of it and melt the tires to the rims from a stop.
__________________

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)
QuantumBlue Custom Blended Oil (Yeah, it's that good)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-16-2012, 09:43 PM
PlumCrazyDaytona's Avatar
PlumCrazyDaytona PlumCrazyDaytona is online now
Senior Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Outside Fargo, ND
Posts: 7,738
Send a message via MSN to PlumCrazyDaytona Send a message via Yahoo to PlumCrazyDaytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddy View Post
The stock SRT gears are 3.06 on mine and Vito's car. But the rest of what you stated is right. Taller gears means grabbing higher RPM at any given speed and it means moving up in the HP and torque curve faster than stock. That means more power at any given speed. A 3.92 onthe street is a monster and hard to keep traction with the power of an SRT...but I suspect that's what Vito wants.

Add a 3000 RPM stall converter and you can power brake the snot out of it and melt the tires to the rims from a stop.
LOL!! The addition of the stall convertor and 3.73 or 3.92 gears makes traction....well you really need to learn how to launch the car with a shoulder roll technique.

But if you have some sticky shoes and the above gears with a convertor that flashes to 3000 or better....hang on!!!

SRT power levels go from feeling on the edge of control to downright violent and brutal
__________________
6.1 Intake manifold,SRT MAX cam on 112lsa, CNC Inertia Heads milled,mopar TCM,blue tops, 3000 Edge converter 3.91 Getrag, Kooks LongTubes, catless mids and SLP Loud Mouth II, powerbond undrive pulley, 170 tstat, , R1 crossdrilled/slotted rotors, HAWK Pads,eibach lowering springs,dampners,sways mopar strut braces, razors edge sub frame connectors #157 of 1400 ACES IV Quantum Blue Lubricants PB 1/4 12.38@110.66
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...2-12-13-01.mp4
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...=VIDEO0010.mp4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-16-2012, 11:35 PM
ozzypriest ozzypriest is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 135
let me google that for you...also, the current chargers have 2.65 gears. The AWD, SRTs and Road and Track models (29r package) have 3.06 gears. The Mopar 11s have 3.91 gears.

Question

What is the rear end gear ratio and how does it affect performance?
Ive heard alot of people talk about rear end gear ratios and gears like 4.10 and 3.70 I really want to know exactly how they work. How can you change them?

----------------------
Answer

It's the ratio of how many times the drive shaft turns to how many times the axle turns and is set up by choosing how many teeth are on the ring and pinion gears.

Bottom line, the higher the ratio, the more power (Torque actually) at the rear wheels, also the higher your engine runs (RPM's) and the poorer your gas mileage.

btw - higher ratio is referred to as lower gearing (geared down) and lower ratio is refereed to as higher gearing ... nice and confusing eh?

example, with a 4.10 gear set, the ratio is 4.10 to 1 so for every 4.1turns of the driveshaft, the rear axle will be turned one time and you will have a torque advantage of 4.1x
On the flip side for every say 10 turns of the wheels, your drive shaft will turn 41 times & your engine has to turn 41 times in high gear (not overdrive).
With a 3.70 gear, your Torque advantage is 3.7 times but now if your wheels turn 10 times, your drive shaft and engine will only turn 37 times. As with everything auto, always a trade off.

see also: http://www.howstuffworks.com/gears.htm
__________________
2012 Kia Optima SX (still have)
2011 Charger R/T R & T (gone) / 2012 Charger RT R & T (still have)
2009 G37 Sedan, tuned, exhaust (traded)
2009 G8 GT, Tuned (RIP!)
2000 Honda CR-V - TGIGone, but it was break-proof!
1978 280z
1974 Plymouth! Fury 440, 7.2 liter Sport Suburban Engine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 AM
sector 2's Avatar
sector 2 sector 2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: N 21*22.785 /W 157*45.970
Posts: 1,467
wow....great info, great thread
__________________
2013 Charger R/T: (Super Track Pack, Forged Aluminum Wheels) DS catch can / Mopar CAI / SLP Loud Mouth II /powder coated calipers & R1 brake package {slotted rotors - Stop Tech pads - SS lines} ACES IV & QB oils....
Gone and missed...2007 RT


Marine Corps Combat Vet Plates...Live Free Or Die!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Vito's Avatar
Vito Vito is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 6,130
Send a message via AIM to Vito
so 3.92 gears is more of a highway car. so whats a good track gear ?
__________________

I really Hate Mustangs, Especially Cobras
True||Street||Cars
1000+ RWHP Twin Turbo SRT-8 In The Making
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 09-17-2012, 04:16 PM
ozzypriest ozzypriest is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito View Post
so 3.92 gears is more of a highway car. so whats a good track gear ?
No, the opposite. Generally, the higher the gear ratio (which is referred to as low gearing, nice and confusing), and depending on the the transmission ratios, the faster the car will be accelerating over a specific distance/time, like the 1/4 mile or 0-100 kmh. The chargers with, say, 2.65 gears are great highway cruisers because the engine is not working as hard (and using less gas) to keep the car at 70 or 80 mph. And the car will have a higher top speed.

The chargers with 3.92 gears, but same HP/Torque, should be significantly faster to 60, or over a 1/4 mile because of the torque multiplication of lower/shorter gears. And get worse MPGs at all speeds.

Cars with short gearing benefit from having an overdrive in the top gear, significantly lower than a 1:1, like a 1:.73 or even lower. Our cars don't really have enough gears to have an overdrive. But we are geared pretty tall through all 5 gear points. It's the trade-off between mpg and speed and usability because of our crappy 5-speed tranny. Well, not crappy, but old and way past its time. Our engine's sweet spot for torque is high, around 3800 rpm- almost redline, which is pretty high for pushrod american big liter v-8, and the 8-speed coming in 2013/14 will give us closer ratios and an overdrive top gear, and will be an awesome, speed-inducing and mileage-appropriating beast for our cars. Will be very, very beneficial. Cars with the 8-speed will be significantly faster imo, (and mathematically) than cars with the 5-speed, given the same output and torque curve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdrive_%28mechanics%29
__________________
2012 Kia Optima SX (still have)
2011 Charger R/T R & T (gone) / 2012 Charger RT R & T (still have)
2009 G37 Sedan, tuned, exhaust (traded)
2009 G8 GT, Tuned (RIP!)
2000 Honda CR-V - TGIGone, but it was break-proof!
1978 280z
1974 Plymouth! Fury 440, 7.2 liter Sport Suburban Engine

Last edited by ozzypriest; 09-17-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 09-17-2012, 04:31 PM
TK Charger's Avatar
TK Charger TK Charger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzypriest View Post
No, the opposite. Generally, the higher the gear ratio (which is referred to as low gearing, nice and confusing), and depending on the the transmission ratios, the faster the car will be accelerating over a specific distance/time, like the 1/4 mile or 0-100 kmh. The chargers with, say, 2.65 gears are great highway cruisers because the engine is not working as hard (and using less gas) to keep the car at 70 or 80 mph. And the car will have a higher top speed.

The chargers with 3.92 gears, but same HP/Torque, should be significantly faster to 60, or over a 1/4 mile because of the torque multiplication of lower/shorter gears. And get worse MPGs at all speeds.

Cars with short gearing benefit from having an overdrive in the top gear, significantly lower than a 1:1, like a 1:.73 or even lower. Our cars don't really have enough gears to have an overdrive. But we are geared pretty tall through all 5 gear points. It's the trade-off between mpg and speed and usability because of our crappy 5-speed tranny. Well, not crappy, but old and way past its time. Our engine's sweet spot for torque is high, around 3800 rpm- almost redline, which is pretty high for pushrod american big liter v-8, and the 8-speed coming in 2013/14 will give us closer ratios and an overdrive top gear, and will be an awesome, speed-inducing and mileage-appropriating beast for our cars. Will be very, very beneficial. Cars with the 8-speed will be significantly faster imo, (and mathematically) than cars with the 5-speed, given the same output and torque curve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdrive_%28mechanics%29

all good info, except the fifth gear in our NAG1s actually is an overdrive gear
__________________
honeycomb grille insert - rear spoiler - 20% tint - daytona chrome 20's - daytona rear diffuser - HID 8000k lows and fogs - front and rear blinker mod - custom exhaust w/4"tips - painted calipers - SRT fascia - daytona chin spoiler - blacked out grille - blacked out daytona 18's - diablo custom tune by Johan - full red LED conversion - BCR coilovers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Reply

  Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gearing question Houston_Heli Performance Discussion/Modifications 1 07-24-2011 01:02 PM
3.73 Gearing - post up your speed/rpm pics or numbers Keavdog Performance Discussion/Modifications 10 03-04-2011 02:56 PM
Mod bug hits again - Tire size gearing question PaCharger Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension 0 09-19-2008 07:21 AM
Gearing vs. HP... TraitorS4 Charger SRT-8 Discussion 14 05-01-2006 07:53 PM
Charger Gearing mkaramus Charger SRT-8 Discussion 1 04-28-2006 06:43 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:23 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© AutoGuide