Strut tower brace? - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Performance Discussion/Modifications Discuss any performance modification in this section.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:57 AM

Strut tower brace?

Would a strut tower brace tighten up the suspension too much on a 2012 RT road and track with STP? They sure look nice under the hood!
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 09:27 AM

My Charger: 2012 SRT8
That the whole idea behind them. Several report back positive feed back after installing. But to the average driver I can't see how it would make any noticeable difference.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Current 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8
Traded 2012 Dodge Charger R/T AWD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 AM

Unless you are road racing your car in some way, it'll be purely for looks. You'll have to be taking fast corners to even consider the need for it. I doubt the everyday driver, even an aggressive one, will be needing one. But yes, they do look nice.

2012 tungsten Gray
Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 AM

So if I have a track day at the end of June an keep competing. These would be a good investment?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGCHARGER12 View Post
So if I have a track day at the end of June an keep competing. These would be a good investment?

Yes. I have one and it does stiffen up the front end a bit. Another plus is it's one of the first things EVERYONE notices when I open my hood to show off my engine compartment lol.

450RWHP/432TQ
Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGCHARGER12 View Post

What kind of track day? Are you talking drag strip, autocross, oval track, or road course? It won't do you much good in a straight line on the drag strip, unless you're putting down some serious HP (enough to twist the car). On road courses, autocross events and anywhere you will experience fast, tight turns, you will feel a difference.

They are designed and intended tie and/or triangulate together the front (or rear) struts, to effectively increase the rigidity of the car and keep the tires planted more firmly in turns. Some companies make bars to tie the front struts to the mid/firewall cross-member, stiffening the front end even more. Some companies also make rear tower braces to provide the same effect for the rear tires. To go another level, there are also sub-frame connectors to stiffen the middle of the chassis with the rear even more. Several manufacturers offer variants of each type, catering to a wide range of requirements and desired effects.

I installed mine because I take part in autocross events locally. The front bar made a huge difference, but not really in daily drive-ability (as others stated).

//Homemade CAI/NOesp/TranZformer/DS Predator/SRT8 headers & mids/SRT8 Corsa Sport catback/ACES IV/QB fluids/custom half covers/REM strut brace/sequential turn signals/Danko chin/custom rear diffuser/yellow fogs/6.1-6spd mounts/BCR coilovers/R1 Concepts s&d rotors/324 rwhp/369 rwtq//
“Because you can't argue with all the fools in the world. It's easier to let them have their way, then trick them when they're not paying attention.”
― Christopher Paolini
Old 04-24-2012, 01:45 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbNana View Post
What kind of track day? Are you talking drag strip, autocross, oval track, or road course? It won't do you much good in a straight line on the drag strip, unless you're putting down some serious HP (enough to twist the car). On road courses, autocross events and anywhere you will experience fast, tight turns, you will feel a difference.

They are designed and intended tie and/or triangulate together the front (or rear) struts, to effectively increase the rigidity of the car and keep the tires planted more firmly in turns. Some companies make bars to tie the front struts to the mid/firewall cross-member, stiffening the front end even more. Some companies also make rear tower braces to provide the same effect for the rear tires. To go another level, there are also sub-frame connectors to stiffen the middle of the chassis with the rear even more. Several manufacturers offer variants of each type, catering to a wide range of requirements and desired effects.

I installed mine because I take part in autocross events locally. The front bar made a huge difference, but not really in daily drive-ability (as others stated).
It's an autocross event for the most part. They have a rear one that goes in the trunk too. Is that not even worth it? Should I buy both or just one?
Old 04-25-2012, 04:34 AM

I got a Petty garage bar installed a few weeks ago and I felt a difference immediately. Front end is definitely tighter
Old 04-29-2012, 04:37 AM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

i didnt notice any difference... the Eibach springs and dampers are what i noticed... the bar was for looks for me... i didn't choose sway bars cuz i like the factory ride but improved handling... the MOPAR bar is super easy to install and look great...

Picture Albums
Big Hemi on the Dyno
MODS: Corsa Cat Back system #14522, K&N CAI, Eibach Pro Kit, BBK TB, Custom Tuned ECU by SRT LLC/B&G Performance, Jet180 T-Stat...
Old 04-29-2012, 06:44 AM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I have one. Like a few others have said it does tighten up the front a bit. Hitting curves like an off ramps or weaving in an out of traffic the front feels a little less... wiggly. I does look good and the install is super easy. For a typical daily driver I have to agree, it probrably doesn't make that much of a difference until you really push it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2200.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	66902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2201.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	66903  

Mopar Cai, Tower Brace, Splash Guards, Gloss Black Grille, Front Spoiler lip. Billet Catch Can and Flowmaster Force II catback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.