6.1 SRT Camshaft question - Dodge Charger Forums
Performance Discussion/Modifications Discuss any performance modification in this section.

#1 Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 AM
ABSilverBullet

(Thread Starter)
6.1 SRT Camshaft question

Hey was wondering if anyone on here is running a cam other than an SRT Max from Inertia in their 6.1 SRT? Im looking for a DD cam, with a good bump in power, a bit of a lopey idle, able to be swapped in without changing springs/ pushrods etc just like the Inertia cam.
I would go with the Inertia one, but the cost by the time it gets to my door will be $500.00, and thats not including tuning, not to mention the month long wait. Im sure a Comp, or Crane would give me the same power, would be cheaper, and I could pick it up locally. Nothing against Stu at Inertia, Im sure its a proven performer, its just a factor of the distance and cost.
Let me know what youre running, maybe with some dyno numbers, and even a video clip of the idle.
Thanks guys!
Mike

ABSilverBullet (Mike)

2007 Charger SRT8 6.1 liter
Airaid scooped CAI, Magnaflow HiFlow cats with Cat back, Diablo Predator 93CAI tune

Best 1/4 mile time: 13.69 @ 103.49mph (Predator only, Pre-mods)
Best EVIC 0-60 time: 4.66 sec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-28-2012, 11:04 AM
PlumCrazyDaytona
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Send a message via MSN to PlumCrazyDaytona Send a message via Yahoo to PlumCrazyDaytona
Its a great cam i have been running it for a year no issues! Runs great as a daily driver its seen -30f and as hot as 100f and feels stock. No hiccups at all. The cam is also made by crower, stu has an installer in canada and that might be the way yo go as far as shipping...if its an option i dont know

For a quick listen on how lunpy it is click the link in my signature

6.1 Intake manifold,SRT MAX cam on 112lsa, CNC Inertia Heads milled,mopar TCM,blue tops, 3000 Edge converter 3.91 Getrag, Kooks LongTubes, catless mids and SLP Loud Mouth II, powerbond undrive pulley, 170 tstat, , R1 crossdrilled/slotted rotors, HAWK Pads,eibach lowering springs,dampners,sways mopar strut braces, razors edge sub frame connectors #157 of 1400 ACES IV Quantum Blue Lubricants PB 1/4 12.38@110.66
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...2-12-13-01.mp4
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...=VIDEO0010.mp4

Last edited by PlumCrazyDaytona; 03-28-2012 at 11:06 AM.
#3 Old 03-28-2012, 11:20 AM
ABSilverBullet

(Thread Starter)
I listened to it for sure it sounds good. It's the sound I want, and makes good power, and I called stu yesterday but the cost is going to be pretty high. He told me its 450 for the cam, 50 shipping, and 200 for email tuning. I can skip the email tuning and just dyno it here, but it will be 300 or so for that. 800 bux is a bit much. I'm thinking if I find another cam with the same specs, cheaper, that I can buy local it will save me a bunch. Plus he said it would be a month before I receive it.
I'm just looking at options.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
#4 Old 03-28-2012, 11:41 AM
NYC SRT8

Comp Cam, stage 3 heads, headers, exhaust, CAI 450HP and a real nice lope to the exhaust note.

Business Development Manager

450RWHP/432TQ
#5 Old 03-28-2012, 12:03 PM
ABSilverBullet

(Thread Starter)
NYC, nice, but is it a straight swap into a stock 6.1? It looks like you have heads too. I'm not interested in doing any head work. There has to be an equivalent cam to the SRT max, that a local vendor could get.

#6 Old 03-28-2012, 06:14 PM
NYC SRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSilverBullet View Post
NYC, nice, but is it a straight swap into a stock 6.1? It looks like you have heads too. I'm not interested in doing any head work. There has to be an equivalent cam to the SRT max, that a local vendor could get.
I'm not sure. They were all done at once. Good luck with your hunt and DEFINITELY post some sound clips when done!
#7 Old 03-30-2012, 07:43 AM
1FST4DR

That Cam is just about as big as you can get before you have to swap springs.. That price is what you will pay for any new Cam grind that is out there.

Your best bet is to try and find a used cam. You should be able to save at least $100.00

But you WILL need a custom tune. And just about any tuner out there is going to charge in the $200.00 range.

Sounds like you should just save up a little longer.. The prices are what they are.. Good luck

06 BLK charger SRT-8.
10.06@137mph
a few Mods...

www.custombilletstore.com
#8 Old 03-30-2012, 09:24 AM
ABSilverBullet

(Thread Starter)
Well I can get a cam locally, for around 350.00 cdn, free shipping to my door by next wednesday. That beats 450.00 usd, plus 50.00 shipping and receiving it a month from now. That's where I'm thinking now. It's not only that I'm being cheap. I'm not on a tight budget.
My question isn't how much bigger of a cam can I go, it's what is a comparable cam to the SRT max, that I can order locally, not swap springs, get a nice lope and good power out of. There has to be one. I thought if ask the ones who have possibly done it rather than the speed shop.
I have been reading about the comp cams 268h. Anyone?
Mike

#9 Old 03-30-2012, 12:34 PM
GMG1411

If everyone's cam's cost $450 and you've found one company selling for $350 I'd raise a red flag there.

Quality is not something I'm prepared to concede on when it comes to my daily driver. I agree, it's not about being cheap, I will price search and compare to get the best deal all the time too.

If it were my money, I'd go with Inertia, they seem to have a good grind for the Hemi motors. When it comes to the internals of the motor: Go with what's proven to work.

Previous proud owner of a 2006 Daytona R/T in GoManGo #1411
Now a proud Ram1500 owner.

Last edited by GMG1411; 03-30-2012 at 12:43 PM.
#10 Old 03-30-2012, 04:24 PM
ABSilverBullet

(Thread Starter)
Hmm. Somehow my question got diluted. The cam for 350 isn't some cam ground on a guys lathe in his basement. It's the price I'm finding on Comp Cams that are 6.1 compatable, such as the 268h. And I can order them from a speed shop here in Edmonton therefore have it in a week. I just want to know if I can swap any other comparable cam without changing springs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List