Upgrading Stock Alpine System - Dodge Charger Forums
Audio - Alarms - Navigation - Electronics (2011 +) Member discussions about Charger audio, alarm and navigation systems and other electronics take place here.

#1 Old 03-07-2012, 08:38 PM
CounterMeasure

(Thread Starter)
Upgrading Stock Alpine System

Hello everyone,

New to the forum, and new to the Dodge community in general.

We picked up a new 2012 Charger Road and Track edition about a week ago for my wife. The audio system, while having the 8.4N like we ordered, has the standard 276W six speaker Alpine system. That's not what we wanted, but apparently saying "premium audio" on the order form is not specific enough. There is more than one level of premium audio to Dodge.

We are not happy with the sound the system produces right now. My 6 year old Tundra with stock speakers sounds much better to both of us. Now I am weighing my options to fix it.

I'd like to stay as close to stock as possible in the wiring, preferring to swap out the amp to a plug and play one, and dropping in a sub in the rear deck and center dash. However, no dealership here in central Texas can tell me if the wiring harness supports it, or there are different harnesses put in at the factory. I am trying to avoid tearing the car apart until I am ready to do all the upgrades in one go.

I have pulled down the cover in the trunk to expose the underside of the speakers, and I found two pigtail connectors taped together there that look to match up to what should be for subs. However, hooking up a speaker to them as a test produces no sound. No idea if they are not connected at the amp, or if the amp itself isn't wired to output to them as I can't see all the wires colors at the amp without taking it apart.

I curious if anyone has any experience here that can share. I have some evidence from various sites that the 376W Kicker amp will drop in under the dash, but not confirmed. Not even the dealers around here can confirm. A question into Kicker to attempt to confirm has gone unanswered.

If I could go that route, and that magically made the sub pigtails work, I'd be happy. From there, I can go through the car upgrading speakers and be really happy.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-08-2012, 09:42 AM
NavyGuy2007

If its the Alpine sistem it should be the 506W 9 Speaker system, thats what my SXT Plus has, nice system IMHO. I dont recall the standard system being branded Alpine. If you orderd it and didnt get it, then the dealer should fix it for you...

2012 Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package/Stock for now
#3 Old 03-08-2012, 10:00 AM
CounterMeasure

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGuy2007 View Post
If its the Alpine sistem it should be the 506W 9 Speaker system, thats what my SXT Plus has, nice system IMHO. I dont recall the standard system being branded Alpine. If you orderd it and didnt get it, then the dealer should fix it for you...
Dodge offers two Alpine "Premium" systems:
-One with 6 speakers and a 276W amp
-One with 9 speakers and a 506W amp

You can confirm this along with pictures at http://www.dodge.com/en/2012/charger...ent/index.html

We definitely have the Alpine branding on the door plates, and I know there's only 6 speakers in the car with no subwoofer. Plus the paperwork clearly states it is the 276W system.

What is interesting is the 276W amp is actually listed as an 8 channel amp.

The dealer says it is a misunderstanding of what we wanted, and they cannot fix it as it is a factory item and not something that is done at the port or dealer. Of course, they can't provide evidence to that, because they can't even tell me if all models share a standard wiring harness.
#4 Old 03-08-2012, 10:50 AM
jjbNana

Wow. Kind of sounds as if you need to find a new dealer with whom to "deal."

Welcome on-board the forum.

//Homemade CAI/NOesp/TranZformer/DS Predator/SRT8 headers & mids/SRT8 Corsa Sport catback/ACES IV/QB fluids/custom half covers/REM strut brace/sequential turn signals/Danko chin/custom rear diffuser/yellow fogs/6.1-6spd mounts/BCR coilovers/R1 Concepts s&d rotors/324 rwhp/369 rwtq//
“Because you can't argue with all the fools in the world. It's easier to let them have their way, then trick them when they're not paying attention.”
― Christopher Paolini
#5 Old 03-09-2012, 03:11 PM
radiochargernj

sound

Just go for the gusto and get an aftermarket radio,stock sound usually sucks,the speakers are cheesy!I put an L7 kicker in my stock sub location and a kenwood dnx-9980 two amps,the thing rocks.
If it doesnt hit hard replace the sub and subwoofer.
If its not clear you need to update the tweeters.
But overall a system is the best way to get good sound.Stock is WIMPY.
#6 Old 03-09-2012, 03:58 PM
CounterMeasure

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiochargernj View Post
Just go for the gusto and get an aftermarket radio,stock sound usually sucks,the speakers are cheesy!I put an L7 kicker in my stock sub location and a kenwood dnx-9980 two amps,the thing rocks.
If it doesnt hit hard replace the sub and subwoofer.
If its not clear you need to update the tweeters.
But overall a system is the best way to get good sound.Stock is WIMPY.
I don't want to give up my 8.4N, which has all my navigation, comfort, and sport controls, not to mention the ability to adjust car settings like remote start, rear view mirror control, and passive entry integrated into it just because the output from the amp and the quality of the speakers isn't that great. I guess I wasn't clear enough on my intentions.

At any rate, I've got my hands on wiring diagrams that show all LX models have the same wiring harness for the audio system. I'll find out for sure this weekend.
#7 Old 03-11-2012, 04:55 PM
CounterMeasure

(Thread Starter)
Just as a follow up to anyone else in the same situation.

While the back half of the wiring harness look to be the same across all vehicles, the front half is not. At least, not when it comes to audio wiring. The C2 connector itself at the amp is the same, but is missing many of the wiring and pins in that connector for the larger speaker systems. Mine only has 6 pins connected while the connector itself can hold 16 pins.

Consulting with ShopKey and having them send more wiring diagrams, there are different harness part numbers that connect to the amp, and they are not easily swappable as they are wrapped into the main harness. It looks like you could splice in the pins and connector the mid-body harness connector on the passenger side. It is not worth it to me since it requires pulling out trim and carpet to reach it.

I've gone with just dropping in Infinity 692.9i speakers and the doors and rear deck, leaving the dash speakers as-in. Sounds much better and it will do fine.
#8 Old 03-21-2012, 08:56 AM
jackal

Have you seen anyone switch out the 2012's yet? Im curios because it looks like that screen is tied into a lot of systems in the car. I dont think i would want to do it either.

2006 Charger RT
#9 Old 05-25-2012, 12:37 PM
seven2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterMeasure View Post
Just as a follow up to anyone else in the same situation.

While the back half of the wiring harness look to be the same across all vehicles, the front half is not. At least, not when it comes to audio wiring. The C2 connector itself at the amp is the same, but is missing many of the wiring and pins in that connector for the larger speaker systems. Mine only has 6 pins connected while the connector itself can hold 16 pins.

Consulting with ShopKey and having them send more wiring diagrams, there are different harness part numbers that connect to the amp, and they are not easily swappable as they are wrapped into the main harness. It looks like you could splice in the pins and connector the mid-body harness connector on the passenger side. It is not worth it to me since it requires pulling out trim and carpet to reach it.

I've gone with just dropping in Infinity 692.9i speakers and the doors and rear deck, leaving the dash speakers as-in. Sounds much better and it will do fine.

So did you end up doing it? Did you go with the Infinity speakers? I might do this because the system is a bit weak.
#10 Old 05-25-2012, 01:03 PM
hskr

Send a message via AIM to hskr Send a message via Yahoo to hskr
Doesn't sound like the dealer is as much of a problem as not knowing what the options are when you ordered. They should have had you verify the info before placing the order, and you should have done more research so you would know to ask for exactly what you wanted and not just give them the vague "premium audio" request.

Brian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Models (2011 - Up) > Audio - Alarms - Navigation - Electronics (2011 +)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List