71mm throttle body - Page 3 - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

V6 Specific Discussion This area is for discussion about V6 powered Dodge Chargers.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskr View Post
You are nuking it way too much. See my reply above. The drop in pressure on the back side makes for a better vacuum signal for the map and also more or less helps "pull" the air through the throttle body. If it was such a bad design to use a venturi then why are stock throttle bodies designed with a venturi effect? They would just use a straight metal tube with a simple valve in it.
There is a bit of misinterpretation of fluid dynamics in that.

Stock throttle bodies aren't designed with a venturi effect, they just happen to have one. It's due to the design requirements of having a single throttle body regulating air into the plenum rather than having an individual TB for each cylinder. As a result, a venturi effect simply happens because of the restriction followed by a large volume which allows the air to return to normal condition before being taken into each cylinder runner.

The TB is tapered to reduce turbulence so that the air inside the manifold is in a laminar flow rather than turbulent flow. The smaller TB compared to plenum is so that the individual runners can extract air from a common mass pressure within the plenum rather than differential pressures resulting from air entering a TB the same diameter as the entire plenum (nearly a 10" diameter TB) and traveling different distances to the cylinders with a varying velocity.

Your comment about the MAP sensor is very telling because it means that a modified TB creates an artificially low vacuum at the MAP sensor tricking the computer to think it has more airflow than it really does so it adds fuel. The same thing can be done by adjusting the A/F ratio with a predator.

By your explanation, the modified TB is little more than a trick to get the computer to change A/F ratio and has nothing to do with the venturi effect on the engine airflow other than it changes the vacuum pressure at the MAP. Similar to moving the IAT to the airbox so that it thinks the inlet air is cooler and more dense than it really is.

If that is the true explanation, then just get a predator and tune the engine properly with real data for maximum performance...for nearly the same price.

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)
QuantumBlue Custom Blended Oil (Yeah, it's that good)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 07:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to hskr Send a message via Yahoo to hskr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddy View Post
There is a bit of misinterpretation of fluid dynamics in that.

Stock throttle bodies aren't designed with a venturi effect, they just happen to have one. It's due to the design requirements of having a single throttle body regulating air into the plenum rather than having an individual TB for each cylinder. As a result, a venturi effect simply happens because of the restriction followed by a large volume which allows the air to return to normal condition before being taken into each cylinder runner.

The TB is tapered to reduce turbulence so that the air inside the manifold is in a laminar flow rather than turbulent flow. The smaller TB compared to plenum is so that the individual runners can extract air from a common mass pressure within the plenum rather than differential pressures resulting from air entering a TB the same diameter as the entire plenum (nearly a 10" diameter TB) and traveling different distances to the cylinders with a varying velocity.

Your comment about the MAP sensor is very telling because it means that a modified TB creates an artificially low vacuum at the MAP sensor tricking the computer to think it has more airflow than it really does so it adds fuel. The same thing can be done by adjusting the A/F ratio with a predator.

By your explanation, the modified TB is little more than a trick to get the computer to change A/F ratio and has nothing to do with the venturi effect on the engine airflow other than it changes the vacuum pressure at the MAP. Similar to moving the IAT to the airbox so that it thinks the inlet air is cooler and more dense than it really is.

If that is the true explanation, then just get a predator and tune the engine properly with real data for maximum performance...for nearly the same price.
Uhh, no. If a ported throttle body is letting more air in, then the PCM will need to add more fuel for the increase air volume. So yes, you want the PCM to add more fuel to keep A/F ratios happy. I'd rather it be because the MAP sensors is properly reading the increased airflow(as shown by increased vacuum) than having to hook up a predator, data log, and hope I can get it right before I do any damage to the motor from making WOT runs running lean. You can use the predator to fine tune it though. And I really doubt the engineers just accidentally created a venturi effect with the TB when they designed them. But if that's what you want to say, then you are welcome to your own opinion.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskr View Post
Uhh, no. If a ported throttle body is letting more air in, then the PCM will need to add more fuel for the increase air volume. So yes, you want the PCM to add more fuel to keep A/F ratios happy. I'd rather it be because the MAP sensors is properly reading the increased airflow(as shown by increased vacuum) than having to hook up a predator, data log, and hope I can get it right before I do any damage to the motor from making WOT runs running lean. You can use the predator to fine tune it though. And I really doubt the engineers just accidentally created a venturi effect with the TB when they designed them. But if that's what you want to say, then you are welcome to your own opinion.
Uhh, yes. The TB can't let in more air than the engine is pulling, so a larger TB doesn't make any difference if the TB isn't restricitve to the maximum airflow...which the stock TB isn't.

If the PCM is adding more fuel, it's doing it since the vacuum (pressure) reading is telling it something is happening (that actually isn't) because there has been a change in the system that makes it appear that more air mass is flowing (when it actually isn't).

They didn't "accidentally" create a venturi effect, it just happens anytime you pull or push air through a restriction. It also happens moving through the valves into the combustion chambers since the valves are smaller than the cylinder volume. It's not a design, it's a fluid dynamic effect resulting from the fundamental physics. The "venturi effect" just describes the fluid dynamic behavior through the restriction and provides a mathematical explanation for the phenomenon.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:42 PM

My Charger: 2010 Charger R/T
I like kerosene. It burns much longer than gas.

Some more fuel for the fire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_stack

There is more to it, and "venturi effect" isn't exactly what "it" is.

2010 R/T DWBlue, 2800 PI stall, Homemade CAI, JBA headers and mids, SLP LMII catback, Custom tune by Diablotoona, 180 T-stat, 3.06 Getrag.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:02 PM

A velocity stack has to do with turbulence and wall effect. Venturi effect has to do with velocity/pressure of a fluid moving through a restriction. Both are related and there are mathematical explanations for the fluid dynamic behavior of each.

It is rather simple to understand the venturi effect. The velocity of air moving through a 3" opening will be greater than a 4" opening and the pressure will be lower to compensate. The total mass of air moving through each is the same. The 3" opening does not restrict airflow, it just changes the behavior of the air moving through it. The velocity stack simply changes the turbulence of the air entering the opening, smoothing it out.

The PCM has a set of parameters it uses to calculate mass airflow based on IAT and pressure at the MAP sensor based on the stock design of the system and it adds fuel accordingly. If you change the input readings by changing the system, it only knows it's original design parameters and adjusts A/F acording to what it thinks is happening.

Change the TB diameter or pressure behavior (tapering) and you change the pressure reading at the MAP and the PCM adjusts A/F according to it's original programming thinking there is more air flowing than there actually is. You are simply tricking the system into thinking something is happening that actually isn't.

Fluid dynamics aren't an "opinion".
Old 03-07-2012, 08:11 PM

have to agree with ddaddy on this one...fluid dynamics is a hell of a beast few fully understand
honeycomb grille insert - rear spoiler - 20% tint - daytona chrome 20's - daytona rear diffuser - HID 8000k lows and fogs - front and rear blinker mod - custom exhaust w/4"tips - painted calipers - SRT fascia - daytona chin spoiler - blacked out grille - blacked out daytona 18's - diablo custom tune by Johan - full red LED conversion - BCR coilovers
Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 PM

sorry guys but is there a write up on installing these i just got mine tonite

Mods:
Debadged,Mopar Cai,Blastin Bobs Dual Exhaust,OEM Projector Headlights,6K HID Kit,Smoked Side Markers,Tinted Tails,Tinted Windows,Diablo Predator 89 Canned Tune,71MM Mancini Ported Throttle Body,Interior Blue LED Lighting,Dimpled Drilled Slotted Rotors,18Inch RT Wheels.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BancoPopular View Post
sorry guys but is there a write up on installing these i just got mine tonite
Huh?

No one is trying to talk anyone out of getting one, just trying to understand how they seem to provide apparent gains.

I'm not sure how a write-up on installation adds anything to the discussion.

Perhaps you can clarify?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to hskr Send a message via Yahoo to hskr
Well, the best performing throttle bodies made for the 5.2/5.9L Magnum motors used in the Dodge trucks are made by a engineer who designed them using the fluid dynamics flow testing and venturi design. Maybe he should talk to ddady and he can improve his tried and true design. http://www.fbthrottlebodies.com/ Feel free to let him know his designs don't offer any improvement.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:42 AM

My 52mm f&b on my 5.9 sure makes a difference. I actually wish f&b made HEMI throttle bodies, cause I would definitely have one on the Charger.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.