Slight Squeaking Noise When Turning The Steering Wheel? - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

#1 Old 03-03-2012, 12:03 AM
falconman515

(Thread Starter)
Slight Squeaking Noise When Turning The Steering Wheel?

It has been happening for some time now but has gradually gotten worse over the last year.

When I turn the wheel normally I get a bit of a squeak, when I turn it slower it squeaks more but the squeak is normally in the same spot when I turn the wheel.

It's only in about 3 different positions as the wheel turns that it squeaks and of course is worse at the beginning of the drive and lessens as I get into town and start turning more.

Now today I hear some sort of clicking sound towards the end of the wheel straightening back out.... this just started and doesn't happen every time I tried it today but obviously a sign of this issue getting worse.

Is this a known issue with these chargers or vehicles in general?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

07' Dodge Charger V6 3.5L HO Inferno Red, 22" Chrome Elements E12 IRON Rims, Blastin Bob's Dual Exhaust, Billet Grille & Bumper Insert, Window Tint 15%, Pioneer DVD Bluetooth AVH-P3200BT, Silver Trimmed Interior, Visor Badge, Infinity Kappa Highs, 10" Kicker powered by Alpine M500, 5000K HID Headlights, Sequential Blinker Mod, SilverStar Turn Signals, Tinted Front Turn Signals, LED Interior and License Lighting.
Upcoming Mods: Flowmaster Muffler, Fog Lights, And Canbus Viper Alarm, Predator & CAI (had the last 2 in the past but had to sell )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 AM
Apache Kid

Interesting, I've got an 06 R/T and recently noticed a slight "Squeaking/rubbing" noise early in the morning when I turn the steering wheel too. After awhile it goes away, it's getting worse though. I'm taking the car in next week and I'll have them look and if I find anything out, I'll let you know.
#3 Old 03-03-2012, 08:28 AM
ABSilverBullet

My wife's 08 magnum sxt awd is doing that too! It's gotten worse over the last six months, now it's really annoying. She has gotten used to it since she drives it every day but I took it the other day and it's terrible! I'd love to hear any answers too!
Mike

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

ABSilverBullet (Mike)

2007 Charger SRT8 6.1 liter
Airaid scooped CAI, Magnaflow HiFlow cats with Cat back, Diablo Predator 93CAI tune

Best 1/4 mile time: 13.69 @ 103.49mph (Predator only, Pre-mods)
Best EVIC 0-60 time: 4.66 sec
#4 Old 03-03-2012, 08:29 AM
370 HEMI
Supporting Vendor

Here you go!

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...e=2&highlight=

Regards,
Brian

More Power, More Torque, Better MPGs - It's "Rocket Fuel For Your Car"

Custom Designed & Custom Blended "ALWAYS beats off the shelf brands"

Better cooling, better protection without all "The Gunk"
#5 Old 03-03-2012, 08:37 AM
ABSilverBullet

Nice! I was wondering if it could be lubed. I really didn't want to start spraying WD-40 under the airbag hehe.
Mike

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
#6 Old 03-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Charger R/T Loaded

My 06 RT does the same thing as well as my wife's Jag. Sounds like I'm squishing a mouse and he squeeks everytime the wheel gets him! I'll be trying that write-up linked above soon.

2006 Charger R/T Brilliant Black/Slate & Gray
Inside: Nav & 6CD EVIC Bluetooth Sunroof Dual Climate Wheel Ctrls ECG CG II
Outside: 18" R/T Alloys Hankook Optimo H418 Tires Trunk Lip 30% Tint K&N Filter
Audio: Sound Group II 7-Speaker Pkg w/ Infinity Kappas & 8" Sub
#7 Old 03-05-2012, 10:13 AM
rodneyiii

This TSB is what is described in 370's link above.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB_3...SB_1900507.pdf

2006 Inferno Red SRT8 with groups I, II, Sunroof, K&N drop-in filter, Auto-dim mirror, Jet-180 T-stat, Predator, 300 SRT struts/springs, Chally SRT wheels.
Born 6-21-06, Home 4-26-10. 1/4 mile - 12.989 @ 108.78 in street trim. Traded 10-19-2012.
2006 Inferno Red R/T with R&T Born 8-12-05, Home 8-25-05, Sold 8-9-10.

Last edited by rodneyiii; 03-05-2012 at 10:17 AM.
#8 Old 03-05-2012, 09:34 PM
eggsandbacon

thanks 370 hemi and rodneyiii for the threads, i sprayed white lithium in the boot between the boot and the white protector cup instead of in the cup cuz i didnt know. fail lol. my car smelles a little and smoked from the engine bay cuz the litium grease dripped on the headers or catalic converter pipes and it still squeeks when i turn my steering wheel, i was pissed. gonna try this when i have time, cant wait.
#9 Old 03-09-2012, 10:52 PM
falconman515

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyiii View Post
This TSB is what is described in 370's link above.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB_3...SB_1900507.pdf
This is exactly the problem!

Does anyone know if I take this into the dealership will these be something they will fix if out of warranty?

I have an extended warranty but would hate to have to pay the deductible for a service issue that obviously is a known issue.

Thanks so much for all the feedback guys and I hope I can get this done by the dealer for free is possible?
#10 Old 03-10-2012, 10:50 PM
TBird100636

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post
This is exactly the problem!

Does anyone know if I take this into the dealership will these be something they will fix if out of warranty?

I have an extended warranty but would hate to have to pay the deductible for a service issue that obviously is a known issue.

Thanks so much for all the feedback guys and I hope I can get this done by the dealer for free is possible?
Depends on the warranty you bought. Can't say for sure. No way getting around deductible. You could just go to the dealer and buy a tube of the P/N 68028730AA Grease and do the lubing yourself. Just pull the left under-dash silencer out (2 push pins, you have to wiggle it around to get it past the hood latch handle and knee blocker) then you can see the boot. Pull it down to see the white cup. The TSB states if there are black marks on the cup to replace the boot but you don't have to. Just clean the cup and inside the boot with some brake clean and a rag. Lube the cup with the TSB grease then slide the boot back up. Turn the wheel back and forth. If you still hear a squeak it is likely from the engine side of the boot. Just reach down and push the boot towards the firewall. Wipe the shaft where the boot rides. Put the TSB grease here too. Slide the boot back over the shaft. Should be quiet now.

2011 Dodge Charger R/T Plus AWD- Redline-5.7L Hemi Registry #1650 Tbird100636

2006 Dodge Charger R/T- Inferno Red- Gone-5.7L Hemi Registry # 00696 Tbird100636
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List